Author Topic: Im looking at buying a pre 85 bike but what to get??  (Read 4920 times)

Mick

Im looking at buying a pre 85 bike but what to get??
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:30 pm »
G'day all up until the last couple of years i have pritty much been away from bikes for 20 years, but i would like to buy a bike.

Questions are if i buy a bike that has no air box can i use just say a uni filter straight off the carbi, and second question if a bike that came out with drum front end but now has following year disc which is still pre 85, can i still put this bike into vinduros etc.

Im very new at all this, so any help or direction as to were to find info on regs-spects would be great cheers Mick.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:45:30 am by Mick »

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
Re: Im looking at buying a pre 85 bike and need advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
Hi Mick.  Not many Vinduros in this forum,  but it is picking up speed.  Majority here would be VMX'ers.  MA (Motorcycling Australia)  would be your best place to start for Enduros or Classic Motocross.  http://www.ma.org.au/Content/MA/NewsEvents/RacingDisciplines/MotocrossSupercross/Motocross_Supercross.htm

There is various regulations for your rig if you want to race in a MA regulated meeting.

KR

Cam

Mick

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:32 pm »
Thanks for that Billjackjane its not just Vinduros i was looking at, i see there has been other events on the calender here that are not just vmx and that there got classes in pre 85, pre 80, and so on and thats what i would like to get into, enduro type events for the old bikes, there was one of these type events not long back near Castlemaine i think, a none race day i think and just a good fun day-weekend out, plus i would like to have a go at some flat tracking and anything else that does not look like a moto-x track.

Im looking at getting something from pre 75 and 1 in pre 85 , but looking around for bikes to buy i see a lot are not standed and i dont know what is allowed and what is not, i thought the rules for the dirt bikes of this era would be much alike or are they not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:53:11 am by Mick »

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:32:18 pm »
Mick,

Vinduro's will certainly surpass VMX over the next few years, older guys don't care so much for the competitivness of VMX and need to be able to turn up to run their businesses or turn up at work on mondays,.. The best bike for you would probably be an 84 model Yamaha IT200L (or similer), Great bike, great price and still plenty of parts to be had on the cheap, you could still race it VMX and be as competitive as your ability allows... ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:52 pm »
Mick,
You have many choices on the east coast,if that is where you are. :)
when we made the big move south, we discovered a pre75 club,if we hadn't , hubby reckons it would of been modern enduro or classic road racing,thats if we rewind the clock back 8 years.
Have a look around and check out clubs/events/venues/bikes etc.
Our son rides modern mx and modern enduro and we have to say that modern enduros and VMX are the best.The closest pre 85 stuff is 200km from here.
good luck in your pursuit.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »
G'day Mick!
Sounds like we're both in the same boat? Also been away from bikes for a similar time...though got back to a road bike 3 years ago....classic of course  ;) currently looking for pre-75 machine.
I reckon it should be fun!! Hope all goes well for you..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:41 pm »
G'day all up until the last couple of years i have pritty much been away from bikes for 20 years, but i would like to buy a bike.

Questions are if i buy a bike that has no air box can i use just say a uni filter straight off the carbi, and second question if a bike that came out with drum front end but now has following year disc which is still pre 85, can i still put this bike into vinduros etc.

Im very new at all this, so any help or direction as to were to find info on regs-spects would be great cheers Mick.

Pod filter on the carby works fine, with two main drawbacks:
1. Gets dusty easily.
2. Not very water-proof.
There's always talk of different power outputs and jetting changes, but those are the two real-world issues.

For any era-class, you can freely mix and match bits from other bikes of the same era (or older).

At the moment, the NSW Vinduros are open to any bike with head and tail-lights, while the Vic events have been restricted to bikes that were originally road rego-able. I suspect that they will fall into line with each other at some stage in the future, but I won't predict which criteria will be adopted...
If Vinduros rate highly on your 'must-do' list, then an enduro/trail bike will keep your options open - but will be less competitive in VMX (not that the bike will be a limiting factor for a while).

If you have no particular passion for a particular bike, then an IT200 is a good suggestion. Typically speaking, Yamahas are durable and relatively easy to get parts for.
My 84 KDX200 has been a bitch to get bits for, so I can't recommend any of the green bikes unless you have a passion for 'em.
And I guess that's the guts of it: Buy whatever you care about - the bike you owned back then, the bike you wished you owned, the bike that tickles your fancy or whatever. If you have a passion for it, it will never be a burden.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »
Hi Mick
I have just got back into dirt this year after a 30 year break.
For mainly Vinduros a Yamaha IT200 or IT175, Suzuki PE175 or Kawasaki KDX175 would be great.
I'd also support what E74 said and recommend an IT200L.
My focus is Classic Dirt Track with some VMX and Vinduro as well and so for me a 250 is the best.
I never had a linkage suspension dirt bike and so I am not missing anything by going earlier than Pre-85.
I settled on Pre-78 and got an incomplete rough 1977 IT250D for $500.
Since then I have also picked up an IT400D, an IT250E and bits of a YZ400D. They are all basically the same bike.
I now have enough bits to put two reasonable race bikes together and also have a couple of long term projects.
All the Yamaha ITs are air cooled and do not have a powervalve and so are cheap and simple to work on.

Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Mick

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:42:12 pm »
Well thank you everyone for your imput, the reason i dont want to do moto-x is because of stuffed knee and im 6f2 and 100+++ kg so i dont want to break the bikes back lol.

I have read a bit about these vinduros and it seems to be starting to take off in some places, i was thinking of getting a XR 350 RE but finding something half good is not easy, i live at Shepparton, Vic so most of the bikes that come up are in Melbourne and it makes it a little hard to check the bikes out before bidding, but im sure something will come up soon and then i can get out there and have some fun on the bikes that i once rode from late 70's to the mid to late 80's.

Currently i own a Suzuki RMX 250 99 which i get to head up to the mountains from time to time, it go's hard and is a ball to ride, but its not real freindly for those snotty hills on a nice wet day and my skill and fittness level is not what it once was,  thats why i thought a 4 stroke from times gone by might be the go, but dont really give a shit what i get i just want to get out there riding again in some events.

Im hoping though the vinduro tracks wont get as snotty as were these young blokes take me the Strathbogie Ranges and the Black Ranges over near Whitfield in King Valley.

In the passed i have owned Dt's from the 70's, PE 175, RM 125 x,  IT 250 k, 2 XL,s, 4 Xr's, and now RMX and just got  2  2008 klx 250's the misses wanted to start riding to so we got 2 tame bikes on a good deal, now she tells me she wants a old bike to so she can go in some of these vinduros etc  :) i need a bigger shed wife dear ;D

Has anyone seen that DT 400 on ebay its only done 900 odd k's since new nice looking bike.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:17:20 pm by Mick »

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 02:15:27 pm »
Has anyone seen that DT 400 on ebay its only done 900 odd k's since new nice looking bike.
Go on. Buy it!
Get yourself a grunty two stroke. You won't regret it. 
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Im looking at buying a pre 85 bike but what to get??
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:52:55 am »
from what ive been told, theses non competitive vinduros are more about the social, fun aspect and enjoing old enduro/trail bikes rather than the politics of if your bike is correct or not. basically from what i know all you need is lights and a decent ( not too loud muffler) and for the bike to be in safe conditon eg the std things like plugged bar ends/ lever balls etc, no loose bits hanging off the bike etc, nothing that will hurt you or others, just pretty common sense stuff that would be checked at most machine examinations.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Mark Austin

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 12:10:50 pm »
DJ - that CR480RD would be brilliant I reckon! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-169122386.htm

I had a lot of fun on mine at the Crawford River Classic a few weeks ago. An easy to ride, grunty big bore - what a blast!

Cheers,
Mark.

Mick

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 01:48:38 pm »
from what ive been told, theses non competitive vinduros are more about the social, fun aspect and enjoing old enduro/trail bikes rather than the politics of if your bike is correct or not. basically from what i know all you need is lights and a decent ( not too loud muffler) and for the bike to be in safe conditon eg the std things like plugged bar ends/ lever balls etc, no loose bits hanging off the bike etc, nothing that will hurt you or others, just pretty common sense stuff that would be checked at most machine examinations.

LWC 3077 this sounds just like my kind of thing and i look forward to going to some of these vinduros, i read there is going to be some in yass and other spots near by, so there close enough for me to get to, just need to find a old not over the top priced bike and i'll be there, the misses wanted to know if there was many chicks riding in these, if anyone can answer that one for me i will pass it on to her.

Cheers Mick.