Author Topic: Factory finish pipe  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Factory finish pipe
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:03:22 am »
I like the look of a fresh unpainted expansion chamber, has anyone had much success in preventing surface rust. A good clear coat paint??? etc  8)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Factory finish pipe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:11:36 am »
Tried clear coat engine paint on my CZ chamber but it doesn't get hot enough to set the paint off properly, have read about using plain old vegetable oil everytime you wash it but normally I just spray it with crc as soon as I finish cleaning it

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:37:41 am »
Oiling the pipe does help but I found it still gets rusty just from exposure on race day, even if you wash and oil as soon as you get home. If I could find a large oven I could set the clear coat in that?

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:13:05 pm »
G'day
I spray mine with silicone spray after every day's riding,if you leave the mud on them they tend to rust underneath it,just make sure it's dry before spraying it,a plastic pot scourer with wd40 will clean of any surface rust if it does get on there. You also can't stop the metal changing coulor when it gets hot,I have had one on my bike for five years and with a little bit of effort still looks good,export brand tyre shine from super cheap auto works a treat,spray it under your mudguards as well helps clean the mud off
Cheers scotty
yz400d yz125d yz490k

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
I paint heaps of 2 stroke pipes in clear 2k paint (the same stuff you'd paint your car with). Doesn't burn off, but will wear/rub off. Some pipes (not all) turn a nice honey colour for about the first 6-10 inches but other than that no problems. Easy.
K

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »
I was talking to a guy at a recent HEAVEN meeting who had a CZ with an after market pipe that had been powder coated in black satin. It looked great with no signs of rust, bubbling or peeling, does anyone know who does this in Sydney?
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »
No Frills cooking oil all the way. Trick is to have the bike idling away while you make 4 or 5 applications. Let it dry and repeat process, it's ready when it forms a crust. As above a coat before a race weekend. Smells like a fish and chip shop though
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:37 am »
Tried clear coat engine paint on my CZ chamber but it doesn't get hot enough to set the paint off properly, have read about using plain old vegetable oil everytime you wash it but normally I just spray it with crc as soon as I finish cleaning it

Running an electric heat gun in the front of the pipe will get them plenty hot enough to cure rattle can VHT and the like coatings.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:13:45 am »

Running an electric heat gun in the front of the pipe will get them plenty hot enough to cure rattle can VHT and the like coatings.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. To get the pipe really hot, block off the opposite end with something non flammable. I use a piece of flat metal to regulate the heat as I use the heat gun.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.