Author Topic: 1975 ts185 build  (Read 11177 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1975 ts185 build
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 07:38:09 pm »
That little Sierra is starting to flasher than a rat with a gold tooth,

You obviously have plenty of smarts, so here is a task, if you care or choose.
Posting photos;
When in your picture host, right click whist the cursor is on your image,
then left click "copy image URL",
then when on this sites "post reply", left click on "insert image" icon, then right click to highlight options and left click on "paste" choice. good luck.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Goldsby

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:13 pm »
That little Sierra is starting to flasher than a rat with a gold tooth,

You obviously have plenty of smarts, so here is a task, if you care or choose.
Posting photos;
When in your picture host, right click whist the cursor is on your image,
then left click "copy image URL",
then when on this sites "post reply", left click on "insert image" icon, then right click to highlight options and left click on "paste" choice. good luck.
Thanks Mick, will do.
I was wondering why it was posting links, not photos.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:41 pm »
Have owned 5 TS185. You are doing a great job . ;D ;D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:27 pm »
Looks clean. What do you intend using it for?
Good choice with the 75, 21 front longer forks with preload. Clutch actuator is still a bitch but 76 is a bolt on remedy
Im a bit of a 185 nerd i guess. Not fussed on the heatshield and weedwacker tanks or even old car brake fluid containers make good small oil tanks.
shocks look very chinese , probably as good as original were.
good work with the rims and keeping the stock hubs as they are better than TMs and lighter.
Good to see your smart and keeping the oil pump. With the engine there are lots of easy ways to make it better. Early heads are heavier with the same squish so better heat transfer. Intake is tiny and so are transfers. They can be bettered. Flywheel is heavy, same as ts250 and it can be turned down by a 1/3 and still have enough roll on but better out of corners.

lots more can be done to the engine and the frame as its as flexible as a post office rubber band. but again it depends on what you want.
good to know someone else likes them.
if you need to know anything shoot me a pm. Just dont make it into a street bike cafe racer.
cheers.

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 12:45:10 am »
Great looking bike well done! :-)
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:14 am »
Looks good, kinda reminds me of my last 185 project...

Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Goldsby

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 03:26:48 pm »
Looks good, kinda reminds me of my last 185 project...

That's an impressive bike. On my many Googling missions whilst building my bike, yours would come up.

I actually, saved a photo of it as I eventually want to copy your exhaust.

Offline Goldsby

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

I am not usually the forum type of person, but this site seems like a great source of information, and like minded people who love old dirt bikes. I am glad I joined.

Pokey,

I intend on using it on the occasional vinduro, it will be ridden, as I see no point in having it just sitting there. I can't wait to take it out when it is done.

I will defiantly pick your brain, when I build the motor. I will be doing some mild porting and so on while it is apart. Looking at the standard porting, there are a number of elbows and mismatched steps on the intake side.
The exhaust port could also be enlarged on the top, but I am not going to go gung-ho into it, as I have seen a few bikes go backwards. So your input would be much appreciated.

The rear shocks are the original units. I removed the springs, and tested the shocks, they had no leaks and appeared to work well, so I just gave them a workout on the bench grinder polishing wheel, and striped and painted the springs.

The front forks were leaking badly so I just put a seal kit through them.

I should be able to start on the motor rebuild in the next few weeks, and intend on spending a few months on it. I work slowly, when I get a chance in between family dutys.

And no, I defiantly won't be doing the cafe racer thing  ;)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:19 pm »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »
Hey Goldsby, any chance you still have the carby off that KE175?

Offline Goldsby

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 04:51:03 pm »
I've currently have the magneto apart, and it appears to be in good nick. A good clean should see it right.

I am hoping to have the bottom end finished this weekend (new gaskets an a good clean) so I can start on the top end.

It has the original piston in at the moment, but it condition is fairly ordinary. I have ordered a next size up genuine piston rings and gaskets, along with a carby kit, hopefully they should be here next week.

I have been on the lookout for a bassani pipe, but they are fairly rare. So a mate of mine who is a welder has offered to fabricate one, if I can get the measurements and dimension.

Just a long shot, but would anyone have one that they could take a few photos and measurements.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 09:34:47 am »
There was a mint "HOOKER" up pipe on Mark's swap meet about 9 months ago.
I thought I saved pictures, but cannot find them :(
It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.
I nearly bought if only to mount above the fire place, wish I had off, opportunity gone missing.

These Vinduros are a great training and exercise ground to get your eye in and your show rolling for Vintage motocross.
Both types of weekends truly make for some of the best weekends in a life time.

That TS would be perfect for Vinduro if you put an "Up pipe" and headlight on Goldsby.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:57:02 am by Mick D »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 02:40:04 pm »
Bassini pipe on mark's at the moment, there are members of this site who will help send it out of the country for you
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=k9bSYFCHcQybvR2K&w=3

Offline Goldsby

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 05:56:34 pm »
Thanks fellas,

I have managed to get a NOS headlight and mounting ears, so that is now covered.

I first wanted to fit an up pipe, but I thought it would look a little bare and weird where the original pipe runs.

That Bassani pipe in the US would be perfect, but the postage rates are brutal.

Managed to get most of the bottom end done on the weekend, but I also managed to ruin the clutch cover in the process. On of the bolts wouldn't play the game (there's always one) and whilst drilling the head of the bolt off, I wasn't concentrating and drilled a little to far.

Once the cover was off,  I inspected the treads and case and they are perfect, and I managed to get a good clutch cover of eBay for $10.00. So not too bad, just a speed bump in the process.

Mick, your carbys in the mail and you should see it by the end of the week.

Quick question, do you need the gauges also for vinduro. I have a mint set, but if I don't need to fit them I won't bother.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 09:44:28 pm »
I wouldn't fit the Gauges Goldsby. I would save them.
Not only are they not needed for Vinduro, but they are always exy and hard to find, ESPECIALLY if they are in low K good nick.

My ER185 went ass over tit at the recent Putty Vinduro and wiped the tacho/speedo/Dash from the face of the Earth ::) ::) ::) ;D
And don't forget it will be lighter and go faster without them :)  ;D ;D and besides, you wont have time to look at them anyhow ;D

There are a few two smoker chamber development programs around.

A latter model RM 125 pipe is good fodder for a modified TS up-pipe build.
Dave H from Classic bikes up here has modified a few TSs this way and they go like stink.
He is reported to be busy for a month or so at the moment though.
Remember but, it is a clean clear and crisp bottom end up through the Mid-range tune that will make this bike a hoot and easier to ride in Vinduro's.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:17:05 pm by Mick D »