Author Topic: The Disease  (Read 17941 times)

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The Disease
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:25 pm »
Caught the "yellow" (Suzuki) disease a few years ago . Really enjoy building the bikes. It's an achievement to turn them in to running bikes again. Probably get more out of rebuilding them than riding them ( gotta change that). Had a real proud moment recent when the future son in law rode my rm 250b. I didn't know that I could produce something that went so quick. Gotta get him on the 370 I'm building...... Anyone got a spare connecting rod?

Offline Photomike666

• Novice
  • I've got serious thrill issues, dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 01:35:57 pm »
I fall into a whole other category - lets call it selective acquisition.

I don't have a whole heap of bikes and probably never will.  I do have a variety of select toys & projects though.

I have my ZX10R road bike that I got new & will never part with.  I work on it myself, and take great pride in my immaculate 40,000km bike.  At some point I will acquire an identical model to build as a track bike. 

I've always wanted a late 80s CR250 and for a few years have wanted to do a reno, two birds one stone.  I pick up an 87 CR250 tomorrow, will restore it and I will keep it for ever and don't see the need for any more bikes. 

I have my guitars, each with a specific purpose; The thrasher, the soloist and the project which I have customized to the Nth degree to explore the nuance of tonal variety .  I have a Marshall amp and customized pedal box.  I don't need any more.

I have my compound bow & accessories - just one and that will suffice.

As my forum name suggests I have a decent SLR camera and lenses.  My old profession is still a hobby, but I don't see the need for a house full of gear, just what I need/use.

With a variety of interests I am kept occupied and everything has it's use.  No wastage, no need to compromise cost due to other projects or worry of over investing and nothing gathers dust - I have what I like/need/use and I enjoy my life immensely.  You could say I'm not entirely immersed in a particular scene, but variety is the spice of life and hopefully I'll never get bored or lose interest in any of them.
V8 SS Ute, ZX10R (x2 road & track), '87 Honda CR250

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:55 pm »
I guess i am a bit bonkers. Either that or incredibly smart. You can choose  I just like those little bikes as they epitomise the early 70s for me. Cheap  and reliable and the best performing Jap trailbike in its class. a few tweaks and they go even better and will always get you home. i just wish other guys wouldnt like them as much so i could find decent condition parts a bit cheaper  but seems no one looked after old trail bikes so most need a lot of work.  keeps me out of the pub and away from wicked women..

These days most of my spare time is spent scraping the pegs on my old 500 moto guzzi and klr650 but the 185s are still my favourites, i just wish I had more money and time to play with the suzukis. a new pair of knees would help a bit too.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 05:17:58 pm »
 "I just wish I had more money and time to play"  very well said Pokey! In my opinion that's nearly the complete picture for the majority of us.

Forgive me as I slightly amend your fine statement to "I just wish I had more money ,time and health to play." Cheers Tim754

Confession time, I still tinker now and then with the small handful of bikes I have kept and enjoy it. Other hobbies I amuse my self with are ,keeping my old Holden one tonner in reasonable going order (no bloody computer controlled electronic ,multi valve ,fuel infected ,plastic covered snot there..)      and       my 45mm gauge (aka G or Number 1 gauge) garden railway I am building in the back yard............. ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 06:47:26 pm »
Blokes are powered by optimism: that pretty girl who was never going to say Yes; that race you were never going to win; that jump you were never going to clear; that project you were never going to finish; that project you were never going to begin...

It sounds cynical, but you can see it everywhere if you look - and most of us can't ever see it in ourselves... That optimism is often a positive, and often a negative, depending on how well the optimism matches reality.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 07:04:53 pm »
Some may say I have too many bikes and I will have never have enough time in this life  / or have the money to bring them back to life. But I look at it this way I'm over 3/4 the way thru my hoard of bikes being rebuilt, and as long as the passion is still there and the body is willing It's all good .
Next year should see a some nice projects coming from 'Oldfarts Museum "  ;)
Stay posted

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 07:37:50 pm »
I had been hoarding a Nissan Navara for a while I bought it in 1990 and was my pride & joy for a while but it had just been an ornament for the last 10 years after one of the kids borrowed it and ran it out of oil.
Could write a book on the adventures of the Mighty Nav.
Was always going to fix it and it just recently qualified for classic Reg. which would have been great for the occasional weekend use.
I had started to unbolt the motor but just never got any further, always other projects to do, like bikes.
Was offered a cheap motor Xmas before last but then the reality of the hours involved putting it back on the road overwhelmed me.
Just sold it last Jan after 25 years

The money I got for it is still going towards counseling
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 07:42:07 pm »
G'day
Lucky for me I'm married to the cure ;D
yz400d yz125d yz490k

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 08:15:57 pm »
I can see all your answers and understand . I too have been involved in vintage dirt (started with twin shock trials late 90s) for a while now . Im a bit over racing (wobbling in my case ) but the hunt for that part worldwide is fun for me the chase I suppose . At present count the list is around thirty (bugger don't even know the real figure) of which 13 are runners none are show queens but I think they are good looking bikes well sorted for me . Im a hoarder and proud of it . All my bikes have been wrecks at the start ok Ive spent way too much money on them (once I kept receipts for a YZ250d scared the crap out of me never do that again ) Im a loner so Im happy in my sheds playing . don't drink much , don't gamble , no Kids , so why not . Firko when is the sale I would like first option on a Cpl of yours . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »
Guys, I think I'm ok - I'm a collector of hoardings!  :)
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
Hey Pokey, don't stress, lucky its only Suzuki 185's.. the real badly hooked guy I know had 50 husqvarnas! :P

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »
  When I first started talking about retiring I new that I had to find something that I could continue doing for years and not get sick of.   I am lucky because I have managed over the years to build myself a good workshop, many blokes don’t and so  some join men’s shed groups to get some shed time that way.   I have had mates that were going to travel around Australia after retiring only to find that with the price of fuel they can’t afford to do it and so they mow the lawn twice a week and  sit around  watching TV waiting to die, one has even taken up playing crocket he loves it , I would rather have a plaster on my arse. 
   My missus told the wife of a mate that she doubted we could survive spending all of that time together with me under her feet all day, now she rings me on my mobile to see if I want to come down to the house for a coffee or should she bring one up to the workshop.  My obsession as she calls it started with the restoration of my old DOT and that has led to one after another and always on the lookout for more projects, knowing that I will never finish the bikes I already have.
   So I suppose I am somewhere in the middle of being a collector, a hoarder and an  enthusiast  but all I know is I love it and can’t see me changing any time soon.
                                                         Zane 
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 11:25:46 pm »
50 huskies? :o Cheese and crackers grommet, Im just a novice. Ive had two and should have kept the 240 but....

I reckon i might know a guy like that who hasa thing for suzuki gems that are just too nice or rare or just odd to part with. I do have to say there is nothing like gazing across a sea of old bikes. They get me dreaming of what if and i smile.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 06:23:08 am »
Lucky for us lot that bikes aren't free......or there would be all sorts of counseling required  ::)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »
50 Huskys, That has a lot of merit!  Bloke typing this at one stage had 40+   Hodakas   thats just sad.... ::)   

And Fourstroke  many were given to me for free as well, nobody wanted them ;) another reason I gave most of them away later on after the intense "counselling".  ;D

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.