Author Topic: May Viper round at Ravenswood cancelled.  (Read 34949 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: May Viper round at Ravenswood cancelled.
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:56 am »
Col, You asked for reasons why the non attendance. I simply gave you those reasons.

Not once did I say I was speaking for the clubs. I sought permission to air their views of why their members did not attend as requested by yourself.

As for all of my points being refuted did you read clauses ( b ) ( e ) ( g ) in the HeavenVMX address.

You list promotion as the only common denominator. People were very well aware it was on.

If you truly believe 6 and 4.5 minute title races are good value than you are clearly delusional. You also go on to say that lap distance, difficulty/roughness of terrain is also considered. Granted. They should be considered before the Supp Regs are written and then adhered to. Or is the reason that they were completely left off the Supp Regs being that the person writing them did in fact not know the track well enough to put a race duration on it. I am of the belief that race duration listed in the Supp Regs can only be altered if finishing time is not acceptable. Well if you don't list the duration then it can hardly be argued can it.

You originally asked why these clubs did not attend. I gave you the answers straight from their own mouths without any personal views in the hope that you would take it all on board and try to remedy the problem. Well Col that isn't how you operate is it. You just come on here and tell them that their reasons why THEY didn't attend is wrong. If you continue to discount and totally ignore what the public want then be prepared for equal attendance figures at this level of competition in the future.

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »
Heads up everybody. There is generally a national event every year. That is for those that say they didn't know it was on or poorly marketed.
Here is a secret I will share. A vintage national event is much like any form of classic event, such as Classic Dirt or even to an extent the Broadford Bonanza (not a heap of disciplines). It's a great get together to share the same passion of old bikes. Catch up with people we only see maybe once a year and meet new people to then catch up with at certain other events. And we also have a bit of a race.
I think thats where the classic guys have it over the post classic guys. The post classic guys that don't come think it's just racing for sheep stations.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2015, 03:35:56 pm »
Heads up everybody. There is generally a national event every year. That is for those that say they didn't know it was on or poorly marketed.
Here is a secret I will share. A vintage national event is much like any form of classic event, such as Classic Dirt or even to an extent the Broadford Bonanza (not a heap of disciplines). It's a great get together to share the same passion of old bikes. Catch up with people we only see maybe once a year and meet new people to then catch up with at certain other events. And we also have a bit of a race.
I think thats where the classic guys have it over the post classic guys. The post classic guys that don't come think it's just racing for sheep stations.
\

Yep, I reckon we laugh more and actually take time to enjoy the great racing we see and the personalities we meet.  I cannot recall one time I haven't been to a Classic Nats where someone who has never met somebody Has helped that person repair his bike, rebuilt it and then that guy has beaten them in the next race and love it.  If that makes sense to you
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2015, 04:42:51 pm »
\

Yep, I reckon we laugh more and actually take time to enjoy the great racing we see and the personalities we meet.  I cannot recall one time I haven't been to a Classic Nats where someone who has never met somebody Has helped that person repair his bike, rebuilt it and then that guy has beaten them in the next race and love it.  If that makes sense to you

I agree with both you gents ( I use that term loosely for you Baz ) that the classics seem so much more relaxed. It's all about the fun until the helmet goes on and then hopefully you can at least put a pass on "that bloke" that was giving your bike a hard time while bench racing the night before.

Brad, I don't necessarily agree with your take on marketing though. If you have a look at the amount of time and effort that MA puts into promoting BBB, if a National event got half of that exposure the host club would stand more a chance of spectators attending who in turn show patronage to the club canteen and drinks. Yes, racers and riders know what is on and where, but don't we need some spectator support for the club(s) as well? The only way to reach the general punter is to advertise!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2015, 06:21:54 pm »
yes racers and riders know what is on and where, but don't we need some spectator support for the club(s) as well? The only way to reach the general punter is to advertise! 
Agreed about spectators but all on here are talking about riders and rider numbers being down due to not knowing its on etc,  which as far as I'm concerned is crap with all the forms of media and the old word of mouth.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 07:07:08 pm »
Promotion is an issue. It's not just about knowing whether the event is on, it's about feeling like it's something worth going to.

Here's an example of online promotion done right: http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/australian-rallying-discussion/32911-tcc-wakefield-park-supersprint-sunday-24th-may-2015-a.html
the info is there and easy to find, it builds hype without sounding like an ad for Persian carpet, and it is continuously updated.
The same event is also pushed in numerous ways on FaceSook and other forums, along with mail-outs to the relevant clubs.

People are busy and have lots of other things to spend their time and money on. They need to be enthused about entering, and the event needs to avoid giving people excuses to not enter.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.