Author Topic: 1990 RC 500 eric geboers  (Read 9985 times)

firko

Re: 1990 RC 500 eric geboers
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 11:41:45 am »
Shane....I certainly hope you aren't including me in your description of  " blokes who ride earlier bikes that think it is thier given right to rain over all us more modern bike owners". I have no problem with Evo or pre '85 bikes and my rantings on things to do with those divisions are purely based on the politics and philosophy involved, not the bikes or their owners. With regard to the taints from old bike owners towards the evo bikes, you'd be surprised at the "old shitbox" and "dinosaur" stuff that's thrown at the old bikes from some younger vintage enthusiasts. It works both ways unfortunately, there are bigots on both sides. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have very little, if any, bias in my love of and interest in old dirt bikes. My own collection reflects on the bikes from my serious MX racing days from the 69-75 period and no particualr brand is loved above another (well..maybe a little Maico bias, but not much!). In recent years I've owned a couple of '81 Maicos, an 81 500 Maico, a KX420 and a 465 J Yamaha and I'm currently considering buying an 80s CR500 Honda. I rode enduros in the 80s on 400 and 490 Maicos and big bore Yamahas so have a definite connection to bikes from that era. I am a huge fan of the GP racing of the 80's and consider it the most exciting period in our sports history. My DVD collection (which I just checked) backs that up.

My smarmy reply to Dave is based not purely on Daves throw away line but also on the previous times he's mentioned the same need for more evo period bikes in VMX. Dave's cried that cry before so I thought I'd put it all in perspective by mapping out just what the model spread was in the magazine. I was surprised that there were more post '78 bikes than any other division myself. I'm sure Dave saw my reply in the light hearted way in which it was intended. My mistake was to leave the smiley face out ;D.

Having said that I stick by what I wrote. Even though I have no editorial or financial ties to VMX I am very proud of the quality and content spread of the magazine and feel that Ken, Ajay and Jeff have achieved a formula that keeps everyone happy. The trouble with any magazine that covers special interests is that no matter what you publish in a particular issue, you can never keep all of the punters happy. There is always somebody that wants more of his particular interest category. Mark Oastler, the editor of Australian Muscle Car magazine, the four wheel equivalent to VMX recently wrote an editorial explaining that no matter what balance he tries to put into the mag, he always gets letters complaining about "too many Fords" or "not enough Holdens" or whatever. I'm sure Ken gets the same lind of complaints at VMX. Some people it seems, are never satisfied.

The sport should be thankful that there are people like you that are prepared to sponsor events purely for the love of it.
I know that there's often little to be gained on a business sense by sponsorship and I wish there were more of you out there. Realise though Shane that I was also using the forum to state an opinion. I wasn't criticising Dave at all, he's almost certainly a good bloke and a rabid enthusiast of the best kind. All I was doing was to address a point that I thought needed  addressing.
                                                                                                                                                    Cheers, Mark.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:57:46 pm »
Hi firko , shane and simon.   One thing is for certain we all love our motocross  bikes whatever era they are.  If i ever pluck up the courage to sit on a plane with chris mallam for 24hrs i would like to buy you all a beer.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »
He might need to fix that oil leak on geboers bike, if he wants to get decent money for it. ;D ;)
There might be an old Triumph just out of view... ;)
I think there had been a Bultaco/triumph/BSA/sachs on that stand previously ;)

magoo

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 06:18:43 pm »
Hey Dave, after 24 hours in a plane with Mallam you'll need drink so I'll shout you a few. I had a few with your old mate Martin Rusell and his clan last week, what a top bunch. They were really handy translating the commentary on the British Twinshock video we were watching into a language we could understand. Great stuff I reckon.
Don't mind Firko, he's old and cranky, not like us cheerful young blokes! ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:23:33 pm by magoo »

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:57 pm »
Hi magoo, please tell martin he aint missing nothing here in england,  the economy is Bolloxed and the building is on its arse, everywhere you go its spot the englishman and he 100% made the right move to oz. Still miss seeing him at the races as he is a great guy.  I presume he has not worked out the internet yet?. I think i spotted a rear pic of him in the latest VMX at CD5.     Anyway back to the debate , i think VMX will have a shedload of new Factory bikes to Feature in the next few months as one of your collectors has been over here and made a very sexy purchase of 10    yes 10   factory bikes from 78 to 86.  I think they may be sat at the docks as we type.   Personaly i am real sad to see our Historic {jap} GP bikes going to the other side of the world but the guy who has bought them is a good guy and i am sure he will share them with all of  us and in VMX.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 12:35:45 am »
Hi Gentleman
As a collector it never ceases to amaze me how many show queens there are. Regardless of year,  to my mind a VMX bike is one that can be ridden and is as close to original and concours condition as well. There is nothing nicer than seeing a top VMX bike in action. In -South Africa we are at lengths to encourage guys to ride such that any concours eligibility is determined with reference to the bike in question having competed at least 50% of its class racing. It never ceases to amaze me how much noise is made about works bikes, what a crok of shit. At least half if not substantially more works bikes do not have internals.
My point of departure is that the bike should be able to run, even to the extent VMX magazine were to decline to show these type bike. I have at least 25 fully restored bikes all bar one can be ridden, I sure I am bound to see a barge of criticism. Any way that my feelings. Point and fire boys.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:43:04 pm by crabman »
Old and slow - and happy

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:36:13 am »

I agree with you Crabman . You have to admire Graham Noyce for taking his '79 World championship winning bike & racing it at twinshock meetings ( shown here in '91 ) . It would argueably be one of the most desireable & valuable vmx bikes in the world , yet he still took it out & raced it hard . If you are going to show off a bike that doesn't run , with no internals, then you may as well just have a cardboard cutout on display.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:37:52 am by Husky500evo »

TM BILL

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 11:44:10 am »
Hey Dave maybe you ought to abandon the sinking ship and come over this way to live  :D
Whens the next Quiz ? really enjoyed the first 2 quizes :)

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 04:27:08 am »
Hey Dave maybe you ought to abandon the sinking ship and come over this way to live  :D
Whens the next Quiz ? really enjoyed the first 2 quizes :)
Bill,  you are to well informed for another quiz. Tell you what  you do it one week and i will have a go the next.

suzuki43

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:29 am »
Dave,I can't stand the suspense.What bikes did the Aussie collector buy?.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »

I agree with you Crabman .  If you are going to show off a bike that doesn't run , with no internals, then you may as well just have a cardboard cutout on display.

I have started a new business producing llife scale cardboard cuouts of works bikes. I will be taking orders shortly for anybody wanting a cardboard cut out in preference to an ornament without working internals. Market demand has taken us at Cradboard Cutouts. com by complete surprise In addition  we are now considering blow up versions like our popular life like Sheila dolls.

This new range includes an upgradeable  option to a full Pamela BOOOBS blow up model with full riding kit which can be saddled on either your cardboard cut out or blow up alternative. An attrative upgrade option are our rubber footpegs which has shown significant reduced blowouts.

Please send a money order with your order regrettably no pay pal neither will these unique products be offered on evil  bay. put your cheques in snail mail and get our monthly newsletter like the John can-on -top-of me -skeee husky newsletter.  :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:50:23 pm by crabman »
Old and slow - and happy

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 04:38:24 pm »
Damn it is 2008!!! so that Honda can now vote!!! Sorry Dave I just cannot except even super rare bikes made after about 1983 as VMX. I am 51 so yes I saw plenty of races from that era onwards but aside from the big bore two strokes it all started to become the same old , same old, 250s and 125s with just different supposedly eye catching graphics.
 Solo Motocross machines followed in 87 by Sidecars (not the riders ) in my opinion lost their visible differences and soul. Did I support the "Factory specials or factory riders? Yes they were fine If they could  bothered to come down under.... No I and from what I could see lots of others preferred to cheer on the bloke using his own paid for but out dated bike serviced by himself leading the pack. 
Sorry I must be one of the bigoted older bike lovers. bet there are quite a few agreeing with me though......... ;) Cheers Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

YSS

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 05:02:09 pm »
Hi Dave , just to be difficult , was that the Nr 1, Nr2 or the practise bike ?

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »
Hi Dave , just to be difficult , was that the Nr 1, Nr2 or the practise bike ?
i believe it is Not a NO1 or 2 bike but probably mix of the 2.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:29 pm »
Dave,I can't stand the suspense.What bikes did the Aussie collector buy?.

The jungle drums will be heard up your way soon enough. I am sure when they have landed they will beat a little harder.