Author Topic: Crazy stuff  (Read 10635 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy stuff
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:56 am »
Yeah Graeme, riding styles have changed big time and I think that has everything to do with how narrow modern dirt bikes are now. They are so much easier to throw around and the ergonomics encourage a rider to ride more with their knees gripping the bike. And no doubt the fitness level of riders has increased dramatically. You don't see many guys up til the wee hours getting on the grog and smoking ciggies anymore. I do try my best to corrupt a few though  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:58:47 am »
I have three era's of bikes pre75 pre 85 and a 2008 bike and the big difference is that things which you would slow down for on the older ones are most of the time just glided over without to much effort but when you stuff up on the modern ones you are going so much faster than the other 2 and the consequences are much greater. I know from experience and 5 months off work
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 11:27:09 am »
I have three era's of bikes pre75 pre 85 and a 2008 bike and the big difference is that things which you would slow down for on the older ones are most of the time just glided over without to much effort but when you stuff up on the modern ones you are going so much faster than the other 2 and the consequences are much greater. I know from experience and 5 months off work

I'm pretty much the same. Pre75 Pre78, Evo, and Pre85 with a modern ride as well. I agree totally with what you say and will add there are times when I purposely look for obstacles just so I can test myself and the modern bike. It's easy to not realise just how quick you are going on a modern bike until you hit the ground. I know from experience as well. Eight months off and 2 months rehabilitation to learn how to use my ankle and foot again.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:24 am »
yep understand all that all right and of course second to the excellence and control of a disc brake is the Electric Leg! greatest invention on a two stroke known to man!

interesting comments and no doubt the modern bike is nicer, easier to ride, slimmer but my point is that is it 30 years better?. I can tell you a new car is 30 years better than early commodore!

interesting comment about picking lines and being careful as that is what I do on the kato 300 c/w the wr 400 where it just goes over everything without needing to be specific in line selection.

I guess this discussion is aimed at predominantly enduro riding as in the mx field, the new bikes are easily 30 years better for sure.