Author Topic: TS185/400 stator values  (Read 11259 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
TS185/400 stator values
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:40:21 pm »
What should the resistance readings be for the ignition coils on the stator be?
My CZ with the TS ignition conversion wouldn't start after my first race in the weekend due to no spark, during the race & practice it ran well & started easily. I've checked that the wires from stator up to the cdi connection are unbroken & that the other connections are solid
The resistance readings I'm getting are between 120 & 160ohms for both leads with the earth connected directly to the stator plate.
I have another cdi to try if these figures sound okay

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: TS185/400 stator values
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:38:19 pm »
That would suggest that the pulser coil is faulty although I don't know exactly what year the stator is but I wouldn't expect the values to change much
Thanks Pokey

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:59 pm »
I'm wondering if I'm testing the coils correctly, the charge coil is in the range if I test from the wire to the stator plate, the pulser coil has a very similar value if tested the same way.
Looking closely at the coils it appears as though the pulser coil is connected to the charge coil with the wire to the cdi coming off it, if I test wire to wire then the value is in spec, is this the correct way to do it?
I got hold of another stator to check condition of the coils & testing both to earth gives similar values as mine but testing from wire to wire had only 3ohms resistance so I'm picking that it is dead, only thing I haven't either swapped or tested is the rd400 coil so I'll try a ts coil & see if there is any change
Any thoughts or suggestions on what else to look for?

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:49 pm »
What is the actual problem Tony?  old TS stators are pretty reliable things. the CDi sometimes fail but not often.

The blurb above in the attachment tells you how to test. if it passes those then its the CDI or the wiring you have already checked or the coil/or the plug lead or plug.
if you have another CDI just swap it  and see if she fires.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:08:35 pm by pokey »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »
Tony come & get my ts stator & have a play, have cdi boxes as well if it's a ts box you're using, even have a twin lead suzuki cdi coil, & you'll need my peak voltage meter as well. Talking spark, or lack of a funny thing happened the other day--a bike shop came home out with an RV50 they couldn't fix [didn't know where to start] because it 'had points'--points fk what do they do--too hard. still laughing about that--but stopped laughing when i thought back to the first cdi system we had trouble with at work [where do you start!!]. page me Tony if you need to follow up this, happy to help [even confuse lol] Thanks.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »
Problem I have Pokey is no spark at all suddenly, I saw Morley's listing on trademe & saw how he'd tested the coils & that they matched with the values in the chart above. If I  test the same way mine show up as good as well
My big mistake may have been just testing to earth. I think trying a different top coil may be what is needed as I've tried 2 different CDIs without any success
Working 6pm to 6am at the moment probably isn't helping the brain work to full capacity either

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:21:12 am »
I'm thinking the problem is the RD coil, held the TS coil to the frame by 1 bolt & have spark from the end of the lead.
It was suggested that with the twin lead coils if 1 plug is not grounded then the coil wouldn't work, 1 lead has to have a weird bend in it when using a normal 90 degree plug cap & I think it may have caused the lead to snap internally so I'm going to try getting an angled or straight cap & cutting the lead back a bit

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:08 am »
yerp. broken lead.. sometimes the simplest answer produces the greatest results.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 06:31:58 pm »
Removed cap & exposed 5mm of wire, had spark. Cut the offending lead back 25mm & fitted new 45deg cap, good spark with 1 plug fitted in engine. Bolted tank back on & tried starting, no joy & when I took the rear plug out & kicked it over, no spark again.
This is starting to annoy me & I could end up refitting the original points ignition for the next round of the series in January if I can't find what the cause is soon

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 06:55:59 pm »
Tested stator coils and they pass . Changed cdi . Changed plug caps. Only things left is a break in the wiring . Kill switch short. Or the coil itself.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
May end up ordering a coil off Rex's speed shop as it's designed for the PEI system & has the correct connections, will need to make a new mounting bracket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201244158401?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Have a electrexworld system on order but they didn't have 1 in stock & everyone is on holiday until the 5th so I don't expect to receive it in time, it is only a single plug system though

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 07:52:58 pm »
Tony did the system work with a twin lead coil before running off the TS stator. I would have thought it wouldn't put out enough grunt. tried that trick 20 years ago on my old 360 [yam], had to tow it to start it but did get through the day with plugs closed right down. You might have to run two sytems--is that what cz's did with their points ign system--180 apart with "twin cams", jeez that sounds fast!!

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »
just to confuse things more--just studying the X7 parts fish online & show two primary coils in the mag & also show a pulser sitting external of the flywheel so 'me thinks' maybe the two [big & small] primary coils ramp up the voltage when working together. Reason i say this 'is' that the TS doesn't have a separate trigger coil so i'm thinking the second one on the TS plate is mainly [or only] to trigger it & 'not' to add voltage to the main charge [source] coil -- then again they are sort of linked together anyway on the TS so--i give up. Not sure if this link'll work or if i did it right.
http://www.cmsnl.com/gt250-1981-x_model13780/partslist/FIG-13.html#row3214215320

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »
Bike has done 2 seasons without missing a beat running this system Morley, takes a few kicks to start the first time of the day which I put down to the engine needing to pull in some fuel. Generally fires up first kick after that
I'm not 100% sure that the gt250 & 500 fired both plugs together twice per revolution but looking at the single trigger would suggest that they do
CZs ran 1 set of points & 2 coils, only 1 was connected to the points. Depending on the year they had either 2 or 3 primary coils, it was explained by a factory mechanic at 1 stage that the way it was set up gave a slight difference in firing to each plug, something to do with the points collapsing the field from 1 coil which caused the field for the other to collapse. Can sort of understand what he was getting at
Will see what my father can suggest tomorrow when he's over for lunch as he worked on telephone exchanges for 20 odd years & understands electronics better than me
Working days through to Sunday evening & may give you a call on Monday if I'm still having problems if you're around