Author Topic: Custom Maico parts.  (Read 11376 times)

karl Landrus

Re: Custom Maico parts.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 06:48:52 am »
The reason I made my original post was to challenge the gratuitous statement made " My swingarms suck" and state my case.  I have found that every forum has its own version of what I call the "FORUM TROLL"  I think that maybe I have swerved into the "OZ forum Troll" who loves to have verbal pissing matches. If this individual really knew as much as he claims he would know that Novation Racing does also offer DG replicas, and for Maicos CRF replicas as well as LOP repllicas (by request for the guys who need a magazine clipping to validate there era correct arm) Novation Racing has sold over 2,000 swingarms world wide. Our customs range from Brad Lackey, Ryan Villapoto to Vintage racers world wide and we work very had to keep a solid reputation by a no questions asked warranty and money back guarantee.  If you have any problems with the arm, we make it right!  Thanks for hearing me out, Karl Landrus P.S.Now on a lighter note chech out my vids! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maicoheadracer&search_type=&aq=f

firko

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 07:28:50 am »
Karl. Have a look at the name of the thread. It reads in plain English Custom Maico Parts. "This individual" is only refering to your swingarm made for the '81 Maico, nothing else. I've gone to lengths to mention that your other products are extremely well made and don't have any problems at all with any of your other swingarms or anything else you make. I've merely stated an opinion based on my belief of what our rulebook requires for the class and will gladly correct that opinion when I see some evidence that your design existed in 1981. I've also apologised for using the suck word. Until then, let's agree to disagree and move on with more important stuff.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
Karl, as an American VMX er -and given some bad internet reputation at that, I think I know a forum troll( there are more than a few on the PV BBS aren't there). Firko is not a forum troll, you may recall his contributions to VMX magazine also. I think he is speakng of the Oz VMX rules as best he is able-and also speaking of asthetics-which of course is a very subjective thing. I tend to agree with his points on asthetics in this case, but then I also hate any non stock seat cover any kind of "fat" bars, incorrect fenders( guards) etc. Each to his own, and I think I also made the point about the service you provide with your products. I just think a Thor arm looks better than say an LOP arm-which is what I think your swingarms most replicate. Your reputation is flawless, and there is reason for that-your work is phenomonal. By your posts here, I became aware that you make other replica custom arms as well.
You are an awesome contributor to vmx products. All is well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:33:35 am by Maicojames »
Life is suddenly very Monaro

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:54 pm »
I checked your web site as well Karl but it didn't spell out what else you do as far as replicas. I am in the market for a couple of arms for my cr125 and 250 RA's.
Do you do a LOP replica for them?

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »
id be interested if you do something for a rm125a
MUGEN power

hrc21

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:36 am »
Karl do you make a period correct replica of the Fox swingarm for a 79 Honda cr 250.Would be very intrested if you do. ;D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:13 pm »
dont worry ross ive got a old pram here you can have to fabracate something  for the monty (trainer wheels )  or a pack rack lol

karl Landrus

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:36:04 am »
Sorry Oldschool and firko, The problem with Motocrossers is #1 We are very competitive #2 We are very opinionated and if I have offended anyone in this regard I am sorry. 

This whole subject has been a sore subject from the get go. I being a former Pro Motocross racer was always a little envious of the works bike being all hand build and no one but factory guys could get their hands on one.  We as commoners were left to common parts like DG, Thor, LOP and the likes.  Now it seems that nothing has changed with some vintage rule books you can not have anything that would resemble a works bike!  Heaven forbid you had something truly hand build, you must have mass produced after market look-a-likes. Here I go again (sorry)  I wish I could say I invented some way out there swing arm building technology but the truth is I did not. VMX made a beautiful book with pics of old Motocross machines, and on the cover is a picture of Brad Lackeys 1978 works bike and wouldn't you know it a swingarm build just like a Novation arm only with the welds on the sides of the two piece construction.  I wonder if they got that technology from Novation? 

If works bike technology is not legal for the era in which it is made and is not in line with the spirit of the time we need to rethink the old British Works Bikes also. 

Karl Landrus

firko

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:29 am »
Karl, I too have a soft spot for those great works bikes and believe that they are the true art pieces of our sport.
I also believe that it's totally OK to replicate a works swingarm for vintage racing, just as you believe. Where we differ is in our interpretation of what constitutes a replica. My Oxford dictionary defines the word replica as: n, a duplicate of a work of an artist, copy, facsimile of an original piece. To me that means that if one were to make a 'replica' swingarm it should be, within reason, an exact duplicate of the original works item, not "inspired by" or "sorta, kinda like" the original. If you were to produce an exact copy of that Brad Lackey RC Honda swingarm you refer to, that would be OK by our rules and by my understanding of the replica concept.

I have a strong belief in the concept of vintage racing being about reviving and celebrating particular eras of motocross history by restoring and racing the bikes of that era using the basic technology of that era. I believe that the bikes should be as aesthetically close to being representitive that of the era as possible. I have no problem with modern ignitions, porting, suspension internals (Gold valves, gas shocks etc)or any other modern addition that can't be seen but find it hard to accept 'modern' adornments to old bikes like non 'works based'  billet triple clamps, ugly non era graphics like those 'Brand X' graphics for '81 Maicos, and swingarms without a historic precedent. I believe that if we allowed non period major parts we run the high risk of vintage motocross losing its period integrity amongst a sea of hot rod bikes that look nothing like the bikes of the era. Our post classic vintage road racing division has been decimated because the rulemakers turned a blind eye to a lot of blatant fudging of the rules a few years ago. I also refer you to the atrocities of Dutch twin shock racing which have twisted the concept to the point that they now merely fit twin shock swingarms to much later model single shock bikes. Of course this is a worse case scenario but as the old saying goes, 'from little things, big things grow" and if we don't protect the period integrity of the various eras of vintage racing, in the future we may be in the same boat.

As I earlier wrote, I really am in admiration of your workmanship and dedication to the vintage cause. My objections are purely philosophical and not intended to be in the least personal. I encourage your concept of recreating those LOP and other period aftermarket swingarms and encourage you to build aesthetic replicas of the works bike swingarms of the day. My only objection in this whole debate is that I feel 'some' of your swingarms have no historic precedent and therefore aren't representative of the era we are trying to celebrate. Which brings us the full circle back to my original "sucks" posting in July  ;D

karl Landrus

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:38 pm »
Firko does this mean we can be friends?  I think this sport needs a purist like you and a rebel like myself.  You have no idea how it pains me to replicate someone else's swing arm, but do it I must.  I have the skills and the tooling to replicate any swing arm of the period except the Thor.  Maico Only does a great job at Thor arms and no sense duplicating efforts.  It is my never to be humble opinion that the Thor arm was great for my 1974 CR 125 but has no business being on something as great as a 1981 490 Maico.  Take a 1" square tube weld 1/4 in. gusset on the axes of each side of that tube and you basically have a Thor Arm.  The reason Pro-Fab aka DG,LOP,Pro-Tec and others used 1"x2" tubing is because they knew you gain all your strength from outside circumferences.  Because of the evolution of the sport and the advent of the big double jumps, Fox in 1980 came out with the huge banana arm using a 2"x2" tubing.  No doubt if not for the single shock coming into its own Fox would have made arms for all twin shocker including Maico but history tells us, that was not to be. You can see by the size of single shock swing arms that Fox had it right for size and strength.  I race modern motocross as well as P-V and Vintage, I jump the same big doubles as I do my modern bike and there is only two swing arms I trust, The stock Maico (exceptionally strong) and The Novation Arm. 

Firko I hope all is cool between you and me! Even if you think my swing arms "suck" LOL I must admit that I am a purist though when it comes to riding gear.  I just can not get used to a guy riding a vintage bike all dress up like a modern rider.  If your ever at a race in my hood I'm the guy who looks like he belongs on the bike hes riding! see attachment,,,Karl

firko

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
I must admit that I am a purist though when it comes to riding gear
Now you've gone and brought up my other pet hate....Tacky modern riding gear in vintage racing. When so much period styled jerseys and pants are available, why do folks wearthat modern stuff? I've even gone to the trouble of painting my new helmet plain silver......
As a former fabricator and tig welder I have no option other than to be cool with you Karl. It's a brotherhood thing!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »
I and many others are now confused.
Do Karl's swingarms comply with the Aussie rules or not pertaining to Maico's.
There is a really easy way to clear the water so we can all see.

Karl if you have reproduced a factory race bikes swingarm of a Maico from the early days can you post an image here so we can all see it. Can you also post an image of your replica swingarm.

A picture is worth a thousand words and words alone can lead to a dispute.

If you post an image of your Maico swingarm the entire VMX community can see your workmanship and I am sure it will lead to sales.