Author Topic: Can-Am people needed!  (Read 9942 times)

Moto Man

Can-Am people needed!
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:34:32 am »
Hey everyone, I saw a local guy selling a Can-Am dirtbike...  But he doesn't know the engine size, the model, etc...  He said it hasn't run for a while(5+ years) and doesn't know if it runs or not...  He says that it has the small motor and it's a 1978, but I can't be sure of that... Can anyone please help me identify this bike and maybe give me some more info on these bikes...  I was thinking of maybe buying it...    Thanks alot!!

Re: Can-Am people needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:57:46 am »
With the amount of suspension and upright shocks,it looks earlier than that. I reckon someone like maico31-opedia would be able to shed some light here. My guess is 75-76. Oh and BUY BUY BUY  ;D

Maico31

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:01:21 am »
I don't know a lot about Can-Ams but it looks around a '74 model.  I'm sure there are some Can-Am gurus on here. Does the up pipe mean it's an enduro model?

Moto Man

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:56 am »
Ok, I went to have a look at it...  And the engine is not seized, and it seems to have fair compression and spark...  But I find that it turns over a little roughly.  Maybe because it hasn't run for so long, and the cylinder has no more lube??  I check the frame, and it gave me a 1974 mx-1 model..  But I looked at the bike and it has a headlight???  Is it a tnt or mx-1?  Is it possible that someone tried to convert it into a tnt?  Also, do they still make piston kits for this bike?  If so where?  Thanks!!

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
Moto Man
I would recommend you not start it, in fact don't even turn it over. 
The roughness you can feel may be rust on the rotary valve disc so check it before you do anything.  You can get parts for rotax motors from Bert Floods. A good Rotax web site is rotaxsales.be  I got some bing parts from him.  I have some new rod kits, pistons & a rotary valve manifold. I agree Buy Buy Buy ;D.
Noel     
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

aussieatk

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »
Moto Man,
I've been surching for one all over, if you dont want it let me know,or buy it and sell it to me for some extra cash.I had one when I was a junior and want to get another for classic and viper racing

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:55 pm »
it looks like a 75 model the engine capacity is on rhs of barrel
as you sit on bike
engine number is underneath motor on cranckase
these are a great bike and very rare 8)
some of the mx ers were converted to tnt enduros
the enduro and mx engine was identical
i will post a photo of my canam soon
that will get everyone talking ;D
follow me to first turn

Moto Man

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:04 am »
Alright, I'm probably gonna end up buying it...  I'm gonna learn about these rotax engines at the same time...    And if I don't feel like messing with it, I'll sell it to someone who wants it...   Also is there a possible way to find plastics for cheap??

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
I agree, buy, buy,buy & don't turn it over till you've pulled it down for inspection.

Eng No ID could be underneath the engine or on top of the rear engine mount.

Model ID was supposed to follow this code:

First digit indicated year of manufacture in 70's, eg 3 = 1973
Second indicates manufacturer & should be 8 for Canam
Third digit indicated size of engine. 4=125, 5=175, 6=250
Fourth digit indicated model type 1=enduro(TNT), 3=MX

However, Canam departed from this code somewhat by mid 70s, esp w the last digit, & even moreso by late 70s so it's not that reliable.

TNTs thro to at least 77 differed little from early ones, & 73/74 MX1's 125/175 were really just TNTs w'out lights. I don't think the 125/175 even had the MX rotary disc until MX2 model.

From about 75 (on TNTs) the exit from the expansion chamber into the peanut-shaped muffler went outside the rear frame tube where earlier ones went inside. Early ones had fibreglass airboxes, later ones had plastic. In 77 the rear part of the chamber/muffler was different again continuing  straight back at seat height w a more conventional shaped muffler. These also had slightly diff tank decals. (The tank in the pic above is an early one, not 77)

There are some good websites & US suppliers for parts. Google "classic canam." for a start & follow links.  DC plastics makes replacement plastic, which is imported by Les Richter at mainy maico (see add in VMXmag). I think its rtrmoto makes seatcovers.  Tony Murphy listed on the canam site is good for parts. Al Roberts (also listed) has a huge store of parts apparently but he's very difficult to contact & its a bit of a hassle paying from overseas. canamparts4u.com  in canada also has lots of parts & seem good to deat w (as is Tony Murphy)

Peter Schoene (Bultaco Parts, Vic) told me at CD5 that he now has all Bert Floods stock of Canam engine & body parts, but it may also be worth talking to Dave at Floods.

hope this helps

Moto Man

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:15 pm »
Alright kawboy, thanks for the info!!  Guess what guys, I bought the bike!!  I'll try to have a look at the whole bike tomorrow(engine,etc)...  And hopefully I can get this bike running in no time...:) ;D ;)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:50:23 pm »
Is it one of these?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Moto Man

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:25:08 pm »
yup it's a canam, and it looks similar to that...

Moto Man

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »
Alright everyone, I checked over my frame and engine numbers(first four digits 4843) which gives me a 1974 125cc Mx-1... right?  Is it a mx or tnt??  Also, the head on the motor, has two spark plugs...  And the exhaust pipe look exactly the same as the one in the picture provided. Also, would you happen to know how many gears does the transmission have on this bike?  Can you please help me identify this bike...   Any other info will be appreciated!!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:22 am »
The nos do indicate 74 125 MX-1, which was almost exactly the same as the TNT in those days, but w'out road gear. Same 6 sp gear box (same ratios). Slightly diff jetting in carb (tho same dia). MX-1 125 carb no 1/32/102, 74 TNT 1/32/114. I don't think they even had a diff rotary disc on the MX-1. I 'm fairly sure they used the same pipe & muffler too.

Thats a good find, tho they were rather heavy for 125MX.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:48 pm »
Correction: canam parts site I mentioned above is vintageparts4u.com, not canamparts4u