Author Topic: Betor Shocks  (Read 6059 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Betor Shocks
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:09:40 pm »
Hi, im just rebuilding my roach 1979 RM80N.  The shocks are totally flogged out.  They are oil and gas unrebuildable units.  I know Rod at Rad shock rebuilds could do them up but the springs are flogged, paint is knackered, bushes worn, needs rechrome, oil, gas etc..  If i was doing it up as original i would go that way.  Anyway, a pommie mob is selling the Betor shocks for 119 pounds.  They look like replicas of the Suzuki ones.  They are rebuildable etc..  The RM80N shocks are 320mm eye to eye.  These are 340mm.  They can put any size sleeves in as the rm has 12mm top and 10mm bottom so they will sleeve it to suit the mountings.
My questions are... does anyone run these shocks and what do they think.  Do you think an extra 20mm will be ok on the rm80.  Has anyone dealt with Bike Revival at http://www.bike-revival.co.uk/trail.html  or can someone recommend an Australian supplier.  SWM seems ok but a little out of my budget.  This RM80N will be used for racing at some VMX events in WA by my son.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Betor Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:56 am »
No one have any of these?
I have talked to the dealer in England and he says they will be too stiff for the mini bike.
I am now looking at the same shocks in a trials version which comes with a 40 or 50 pound spring and lighter damping.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »
I have them for a ty250, even brand new 1 looks to be trying to weep. The quality of them seems pretty hit & miss from what guys say on trialscentral

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »
You might try Bultaco Parts Aust I think he keeps Betor shocks on the shelf.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »
Thanks guys.  They are rebuildable with a kit so i guess if they weep at least i can fix it. 
I have emailed Bultaco.... thanks for the tip....

Offline Spanish Armada

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 06:42:45 pm »
These shocks r only good for static display HAVE SEEN THE TOP GLAND  NUT PULL CLEAN OUT AND LEAK AFTER ONE RACE cheers

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »
Thanks for the input guys... does seem to have a quality problem sometimes... I read good and bad.  Anyway, i went around in circles for day.  Rebuild the original for about $300 including post back and forth, then i still have worn and rusty springs.  I emailed Bultaco in Oz.. about $350 delivered for a Betor.. getting pricy.  I emailed Works Performance.. about $700 delivered for custom job.. nice shock but $$$ for the old girl.  Looked at all the ozzie shock manufacturers and nice shocks but too pricey for this project.  I finally settled back on the Betor shocks for the RM80N.  I went with the trials version with a 40lb spring.  Shocks look identical to the rm shocks.. even the spring adjuster is the same. But these are gas/oil and are rebuildable.  Even the chrome spring is the same as suzuki original but i went with the trials version so that the lighter valving and spring will suit a mini rider doing some trail riding.  I got them from http://betorspain.com/en/trial/1103-trial-gas.html and the price was very good at $220 AU delivered.  Worth a shot.  I'll post a pic and review in due time.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »
How did you go with the betors in the end?

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:55:34 pm »
I was talking to some  bultaco owners on the weekend about theirs, sounded positive but they had road bikes. I'mon lookout for my dkw