Author Topic: 2014 AUSSIE CLASSIC ROAD RACE CHAMPS @LAKESIDE, BRISBANE  (Read 16541 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 AUSSIE CLASSIC ROAD RACE CHAMPS @LAKESIDE, BRISBANE
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
Photo's from the top....
1/  Mint H2 Kwaka, has pommy built chambers on it....Sunday cruiser.
2/  Early TKA tandem twin KR250.....look at the motor....it's sideway's....what Kork Ballington and Greg Hansford rode to 1st and 2nd in the world championships.
3/  Wayne Gardiners 1980 Moriwaki Kawasaki that he raced here, in the States and the UK. [a replica he had built....the real thing is in the Moriwaki museum in Japan]
4/  RG500 box 4, rotary valve and TZ500.
5/  Spondon framed TZ250 and 350.
6/  HL500 replica road racer.
7/  Simo's mates Triton, the front brake on this is an MV Augusta 8 leading shoe brake [was NOS not long ago], it was made by Ceriani [yes the fork manufacturer], he worked for Count Augusta before he went out on his own making forks. This brake assembly cost $6000.00....there where so many cool bikes there.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:08 pm »
7/  Simo's mates Triton, the front brake on this is an MV Augusta 8 leading shoe brake [was NOS not long ago], it was made by Ceriani [yes the fork manufacturer], he worked for Count Augusta before he went out on his own making forks. This brake assembly cost $6000.00....there where so many cool bikes there.

Do you mean 4 leading shoe brake or are there actually 4 shoes each side?

6/  HL500 replica road racer.

Gimme a break ???
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:06 pm »
I think the brake does have 8 shoes in it. Spondon's are  Derek Brown's , nobody has mentioned Peggy Hyde who was the first woman in Australia to gain a competition licence (apparently she should have caused lots to give up racing if they were good to their word). She did a few laps on a CB 125.

2/  Early TKA tandem twin KR250.....look at the motor....it's sideway's....what Kork Ballington and Greg Hansford rode to 1st and 2nd in the world championships.

Murray Sayle has this bike. Motor is in the right way trust me  ;) Might have seen this one go around, get to spend a bit of 'quality time' on the dyno with the owners and this bike  :D

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:01 pm »
I was told it was 8 leading shoe brake and I thought that HL replica was one of your frames....LOL. ;D

Simo63

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 11:45:07 pm »

The thing that spins me out is the cost of things in the road racing scene.  Regardless of how many bloody shoes the thing has, that brake is literally unobtainium.  A replica is worth $6k but an original MV Augusta one like that ... well if you wanted it for your MV then you'd be ponying up $10K for it or forget it.  If you want to do one on the cheap, you can buy a old GT750 hub and then (to comply with the Classic regs), fit a set of replica sand cast CB77 or CB72 backing plates etc.  By the time you do that and lace it into a wheel, get the pads and mechanisms all sorted, you've spent $5K .. on a front wheel ffs !!!!!!!

The gearbox they just put in this Triton (yes it's pre unit) was worth $6K .. the bike as it sits cost well over $100K to build and it's still only 736cc .. not even stroked yet .... tyres .. try $600 a set and they last a couple of races .. 3 max before they go off.  Entry fee for two bikes for the weekend with a shed (try a roof over your flooding pits) was around $500!!!  Cheap apparently when compared to the Island Classic at Phillip Island at closer to $800.

It's been 22 years since I was road racing and I'd forgotten how expensive it is .. and how bloody cheap VMX is. 

Think about that next time you're contemplating putting a new tyre on the rear on your fully restored YZ or CZ that you picked up from some poor sap for $4 or $5K.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:28 am »
Always expensive to play with the big boys plenty run RS 125's on the smell of a oily rag. Island Classic entry fee is about $380 the extra comes in from the track day on the thursday and pit garage hire. $200 a day sounds reasonable to run around a track in as good a condition as what PI is. Organisers were a bit swamped with the number of entries for Lakeside so the number of laps suffered. Let's hope they address the concerns of competitors and keep a iconic track in use. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »

I showed Steve Roberts this photo when I picked up my better than new CZ tank today & he called it the "Sayonara special", he showed me a photo of is slightly older sister bike & pointed out the difference in seat units. He was stoked to see the photo
I was surprised to see the original aluminium monocoque F1 Suzuki in the shed & had to laugh when he told me the story of Guy Martin crawling over & under it studying it when he was over with his father

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:45 pm »

is the tank like ours..
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 03:49:53 pm »
Like this

Started out like this

Very happy with how it came out, hadn't decided on paint or polish but the decision has been made for me. Almost a shame to get it dirty

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »
Very nice..
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »
That bloke's a genuine wizard ! Did you know he also did some of Graham McRae's cars, notably the GM9 that ran in CanAm briefly...sorry no photobucket these days (just google image for McRae GM9)...and many of the McIntosh Manx Norton tanks as well.

Those Coleman TR500s are lovely in the flesh, almost Italian in their curvature... 8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure he still does the Mac tanks.  Those monocquoc superbikes he made are awesome as well.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
I was told it was 8 leading shoe brake and I thought that HL replica was one of your frames....LOL. ;D

Can't see how??
I can only see 2 pivots for a cam, could they be 8 shoes but 4 leading & 4 trailing??
Surely 4 leading shoes each side would need 4 shafts for 4 cams would it not?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 04:40:57 am »
I'm pretty sure he still does the Mac tanks.  Those monocquoc superbikes he made are awesome as well.
He does still do the tanks for Ken McIntosh, has the only known original Irish featherbed framed Norton coming for repairs after I got crashed at Goodwood this year
If you look in the thread on Aussie & NZ frame builders at the photo of the Sparton in his workshop you'll see skeletons for tanks hanging from the roof, he had a few fibreglass seat units up there as well

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 06:48:07 am »
pics from matcho mick