Author Topic: Best Evo 125?  (Read 13209 times)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Best Evo 125?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »
Maybe he just thinks it feels faster. What does the stopwatch say. Get him to enter the D in a modern race. What a load of crap.

That's a bit bloody rude  ::) how do you know he hasn't had his laps timed .

I am definitely quicker around most tracks on the older bikes , I cannot for the life of me gel with modern bikes . To tall brakes work to well and sure there's more power than the old bike , but I don't bullshit myself that I can ride either bike to anywhere near its full potential , so it make no odds to me .

I occasionally let a young mate ( top A  grader who has raced in Europe and the MXDN ) race my old bikes at modern meetings. He makes  a barn find RM 125B do things I doubt they ever did in the day and will win b grade races easily on it .

Sure put him on a modern 125 and he will win the A grade race , but that's because he can get the most out of both bikes .

Nathan I like the bogus journey touch  ;D I think you say ill pay that  :)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
I see no one has asked which is the best 500 class EVO bike yet.

Ok kev I will play YZ 465 H  ;) although really its the YZ 465G as the cut off should be 1980 at the latest . 1980 linkage bikes were readily available to the punters, and by 1981 almost all the manufacturers had linkage bikes available to the public .

The obvious exceptions being Maico, Yamaha and husky . The Evo class if you compare it with athletics is a bit like the special Olympics . They ban bikes that were fit and able in the day and cater for the disabled or handicapped if you like ie the 81 Maico.

The only reason our disabled friend shines so brightly in evo is that the able bodied runners from the 1981 era are excluded due to the fact that they are considered advanced ( able bodied ).

The 81 Maico in the day was old hat , yes its a great handling bike ( for a twin shock ) but in the day it was old technology and when the track got rough they were getting cleaned up in open races by RM 125Xs ( in Europe, don't know about here )

The Evo class was built to cater for these disabled dinosaurs , but a YZ 465G will still give them a good run .

Going on the form that allows 81 Maicos into EVO , ole mate should really be able to buy and race a 1981 RM 125X in Evo 125 , then you can hear them all say "where the fluck did he go  ;)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:08:03 AM by William Doe »

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
I facts are a bike sitting lower to the ground will handle better than a taller bike, what do Dirt Trackers do, they lower their bikes .  Modern 125s apart from maybe KTM and now Husqvarna (same motor) have had no development for years.  Anyway older 125s have a much more peaker power than a more modern 125, so it takes a good fit rider to use that power.

Really I would like to see the 125 class make a comeback for modern MX especially for the Clubman riders.  They are a lot cheaper to run than that noisy, smelly, expensive four stroke shit.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:24:50 AM by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »

Ok kev I will play YZ 465 H  ;) although really its the YZ 465G as the cut off should be 1980 at the latest . 1980 linkage bikes were readily available to the punters, and by 1981 almost all the manufacturers had linkage bikes available to the public .

The obvious exceptions being Maico, Yamaha and husky . The Evo class if you compare it with athletics is a bit like the special Olympics . They ban bikes that were fit and able in the day and cater for the disabled or handicapped if you like ie the 81 Maico.

The only reason our disabled friend shines so brightly in evo is that the able bodied runners from the 1981 era are excluded due to the fact that they are considered advanced ( able bodied ).

The 81 Maico in the day was old hat , yes its a great handling bike ( for a twin shock ) but in the day it was old technology and when the track got rough they were getting cleaned up in open races by RM 125Xs ( in Europe, don't know about here )

The Evo class was built to cater for these disabled dinosaurs , but a YZ 465G will still give them a good run .

Going on the form that allows 81 Maicos into EVO , ole mate should really be able to buy and race a 1981 RM 125X in Evo 125 , then you can hear them all say "where the fluck did he go  ;)

Bill I see you are still a MAICO Basher.  Have you ever ridden one?
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Old bikes have their strengths. There are times and places where I am faster on an old bike than a new one.
But race after race, rain hail or shine, moderns are faster - much faster - we haven't spent the last 30 years developing bikes to make them slower...

If anyone doesn't believe me, they could try to convince any of the talented aspirational privateer riders to leave their modern bike at home and front up to the MX Nats on a pre-85 bike... If anyone succedes, then let me know how much it cost you. ;)

Hell, I just remembered that I've played with the moderns on an old bike quite recently... The KDX is a good thing and suits me very well, but there are definitely places where it cost me time and/or effort compared to a modern - and I'm not just talking about the time when the fork leg underhang stopped me in a rut...
The idea of some of those downhills with double drums makes me cringe.

Really I would like to see the 125 class make a comeback for modern MX especially for the Clubman riders.  They are a lot cheaper to run than that noisy, smelly, expensive four stroke shit.

I could not agree more!

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »

Bill I see you are still a MAICO Basher.  Have you ever ridden one?

Kev I have owned several inc 81 models , Im not a Maico basher as I said the 81 490 is a great handling machine but my favourites are the 77 AWs and the 79 models .

Yours was a leading question and I gave my opinion . The 81 490 only shines as the class is geared towards OLD technology rather than an era like all other classes .

You are the Australian poster boy for the 81 Maico 490 in much the same way I could be considered the poster boy for the 1975 RM 125S and the 1981 RM 125X . I cannot race my RM 125S in pre 75 ( fair enough its a 75 model ) or my 81 RM125X in Evo as it is technologically advanced  compared to those 81 twinshock models .

You opened with a leading question and I responded  :)

Agree 100%

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:25:50 PM by William Doe »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
A couple of things here.
The first time I rode the RM X 125 I was gob smacked how much faster I could ride it on rough ground over the older twin shock bikes. A few laps on the X and I didnt want to ride twin shock bikes for another 20 years.
Most of our VMX tracks are so much smoother that back in the day.

When I first started ridding VMX way back in 91 I used to race B grade crass track on my YZ 250 A with the current models and finish at the pointy end. I did not race it at MX thou.

What do you trail ride? Yeah it's one thing getting around a track but if you think Im taking a RM 125 B trail ridding think agian. Ill load up my modern YZ two stroke.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Back in the day I raced a RM125B, RM125T & RM125X. The T was a lot better than a B and the X a lot better than a T.
As previously said the smooth tracks we ride have lot to do with earlier era bikes being competitive in later classes.
Next year I might put Matt or Jacob Dank on my CR125RA and then see how they go..If it's a demanding track it will make a difference.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
As for the best Evo 125, I can't split the RM, CR or YZ with the KX close behind..
Personally I'd go RM or CR.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »
Back in the day I raced a RM125B, RM125T & RM125X. The T was a lot better than a B and the X a lot better than a T.
As previously said the smooth tracks we ride have lot to do with earlier era bikes being competitive in later classes.
Next year I might put Matt or Jacob Dank on my CR125RA and then see how they go..If it's a demanding track it will make a difference.

Give them both a bike John, you've got plenty ;D

Set them for the Conondale Classic next year. I'm sure Liam and hopefully Sam could come and make a race of it. Seeing them four lads, all pinned, would be something to see. No 6 minutes motos though ::)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
Hi,
I'd love to see a Pre 75  125 race with The Dank boys , the Brisbane Hillbillys, Jack McMahon John Kemp etc and those class riders , joined by the Pre 85 pre 90 Guns , but all on pre75 125 class bikes ,
Cheers

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »

Give them both a bike John, you've got plenty ;D

Set them for the Conondale Classic next year. I'm sure Liam and hopefully Sam could come and make a race of it. Seeing them four lads, all pinned, would be something to see. No 6 minutes motos though ::)
That's a definite possibility Ted!

Offline Ken 737

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
See what you started Craig :)
Are you going to change the 250 for an evo 125?
Ken
Suzuki fan - TM and RM
Love my IT too ????

albrid-3

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
1974,75,76.  Kawasaki Kx 125 and the Cr125m Rm125 S, and the RM125 A model is my choice.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:16:22 PM by Dave #14 »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
I love to do some shoot outs at classic dirt one year. Bring it on I say  ;)
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle