Author Topic: Is this Gunner Gasser good or Crap? VRM Racing Motorsport Evilbay  (Read 6831 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Gunner Gasser good or Crap? VRM Racing Motorsport Evilbay
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
$65 landed. I've had them. Would I buy another. No way.

$99 current KTM Domino 2 stroke throttle. Available at any KTM shop in Oz. Much much better ( and safer )
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
Genuine G G has made in Sweden written on the alloy housing = Good  8)

Evil sticking made in Taiwan copy does not =Crap :'(

:) :) :) :) 

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
Ask Firko then stand back .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Genuine GG also have plastic return lug that is made out of plastic that has the consistency of play doh. Let me know what you think when it bends and jams the throttle on when it spins backwards on shutting. Been there, done that.

Firko bought a copy. IMO GG are no better.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
Had a genuine GG throttle identical looking back in the "70's maybe "80's, sold it on the bike damn it but someone with Husky knowledge might know the answer to my question. When i bought it we were Husky dealers where i worked but went to fit this throttle to a normal 7/8 handlebar [not painted but normal chrome] & recon the genuine husky bars were undersize by enough for me to see damage happening [like split it] & had to machine just enough out to fit the yamaha bars. recon i could actually feel the diameter difference just handling them. Dreaming? don't think so, actually [sounds rude i know] but got a crank pin same diameter as the yam 7/8 bars, ran it longways on the grinder multiple times & put it in the lathe then slowly worked the Gasser along it till it fitted right, worked good too.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
I've watched the comments on the replica GG throttles for some time now & I have to say I've used heaps of them & NEVER had any issues whatsoever. Maybe I've been extremely lucky. Having said that, I don't think you can beat the Domino's.
K

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
Hi Ted do you have to change the throttle cable as well if you go with the domino throttle mate?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
for a cable mine had [what's it called] think motion pro or something just sooo goood it never altered from being silky smooth for years till i sold the bike with it on--god i'm stupid sometimes.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
Hi Ted do you have to change the throttle cable as well if you go with the domino throttle mate?

No. I didn't change the cable on an 86 IT 200 or 77 RM 125 B. both 34mm Mikuni. Will be getting another one this weekend for a 81 465 with a 38mm Mikuni. I know you can get 1/4 turn and I think he said you can get 1/8 turn. 1/8 turn on a 500, not for me ;D

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »
Cheers mate  :D

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »
No doubt the Domino would be a better unit but the G G is period cool, I have used a genuine one for two seasons with no probs, Maybe it's a ticking time bomb :-\, I might just pop off the top cap & have a gander at the works next time I race prep my bike :)

Are you saying Ted that the stock Yam & Suz cable screws straight into the Domino throttle,If so that's handy :) 

Offline 270YAM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
I bought a Venhill 600A off eBay, I reckon they'd be pretty hard to beat for quality. They are machined from a billet, not die cast or plastic.
I think it was approx £50 shipped so not cheap, but anyone who has ever had a bad experience with an el cheapo imitation may agree that it is cheap insurance.

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Controls_and_Levers/MOTORCYCLE_CONTROLS/TWISTGRIPS/600A_VENHILL_DUAL_RATE_TWIST_GRIP.html

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
No doubt the Domino would be a better unit but the G G is period cool, I have used a genuine one for two seasons with no probs, Maybe it's a ticking time bomb :-\, I might just pop off the top cap & have a gander at the works next time I race prep my bike :)

Are you saying Ted that the stock Yam & Suz cable screws straight into the Domino throttle,If so that's handy :)

No not saying they screw in.

As the Domino has slotted adjuster and lock nut I just feed the cable and outer cover in and lock wire the outer cover over the top of the lock nut and onto the threaded adjuster. Then you simply slide the rubber tube over it and fit the rubber mud boot over it all to finish it off. All bits come with these throttles. This holds the cable firmly in place and stops it being able to be pulled out by a handlebar, branch etc. very safe.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »

No not saying they screw in.

As the Domino has slotted adjuster and lock nut I just feed the cable and outer cover in and lock wire the outer cover over the top of the lock nut and onto the threaded adjuster. Then you simply slide the rubber tube over it and fit the rubber mud boot over it all to finish it off. All bits come with these throttles. This holds the cable firmly in place and stops it being able to be pulled out by a handlebar, branch etc. very safe.
Cool, That sounds like the hot ticket, Thanks :)