Author Topic: kdx200 now 240cc  (Read 12305 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: kdx200 now 240cc
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
 ;D

I think you're paranoid... My old KDX got really rattly. I ignored it for way too long. In fact, I only stopped ignoring it when I rode it once around the backyard and my hands went numb from the vibration (I'm exaggerating, but less than you think). Pulled the top end off to discover a little end with about 2mm of play in it - all of the rollers had broken in half, so they were a half-moon section rather than circular.

It had done at least two race meets and one Vinduro like that.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »

Very lucky indeed ... I would be inclined to replace both  lock tab washers as a precaution. As the one in pic appears to have lost its tab.

There were no lock tabs on the washers....
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
they all did that, was std.

From the crate was an urgent "Loctite the primary drive nut!" circular from the factory. most bikes had a circular heat mark on the case from the nut stuck there whizzing round against the case.
the first indication was the alloy speckled oil change...followed by ..."where is this alloy coming from???"

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

I would think that if the ports aren't touched there is a lot of power hiding in that cylinder.

l don't think the ports have been touched too much..... The top pic is the 240 cylinder and the bottom is another 200 sleeve that looks a standard bore.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
whipping a cold sleeve into a hot cast barrel usually gave little room for "adjustments" you can see there is a mismatch of liner to barrel. out with the porting tool m'boy and tidy all that up so it looks like the 200.

lots of HP to retained from tidying all those sharp edges. don't forget to sand down the barrel edge so the rings don't catch if you alter the liner outline.