Author Topic: cr480 blowing base gaskets  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
cr480 blowing base gaskets
« on: July 05, 2014, 05:01:50 pm »
Any Advice ??? Second time its happened, first time it sucked the gasket in , now it`s blown gasket out ?? both times on the LHS.... Have been fitting gaskets Dry, maybe just need some sealant/gasket goo???
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:59:56 pm by Snowy 76 »
Couple of CR`s

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cr480 blowing base gaskets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »
Any Advice ??? Second time its happened, first time it sucked the gasket in , now it`s blown gasket out ?? both times on the LHS.... Have been fitted gaskets Dry, maybe just need some sealant/gasket go???

Obviously the studs into the crankcase aren't moving? Are they?

Take it to a Center Lathe and do "fly cut" of the sealing area on the bottom surface of the cylinder.
There is not an easier job in the world for a lathe and its operator.
Loctite Master Gasket 518
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »
A Fly Cut, is to remove the most minimal amount possible until the surface just cleans up, which indicates that it is true again.

The normal finding is that the thin area to the sides of the transfers will clean up last, proving the distortion is now gone.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »
hi
on my Yamaha 465 I was missing a dowel which I didn't spot till I removed barrel cause it blew gasket out ,do Hondas have dowels ?
cheers arno

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
you should check the torque on the cylinder studs if the threads are tired and the stud is detensioning....if so helicoil and start again...

An ex GP racer from way back told me on their race motors they would helicoil (using Wurth inserts) all threads that were of any consequence as a matter of routine, not after failure..

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »
Wurth insertes are great but you need a fair area to use them they have a large diameter bur are fantastic of you can fit them
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »
I do also wonder if the flycut is done with a reasonably coarse feed that the machining lines would also bite into the gasket and help hold it. Maybe an idea to check the squish setting and amend that at the same time...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 08:32:36 pm »
I do also wonder if the flycut is done with a reasonably coarse feed that the machining lines would also bite into the gasket and help hold it. Maybe an idea to check the squish setting and amend that at the same time...
Brett

Scroll (facing) is used allot in large pipe flanges for sealing purposes.
I reckon you are on to the right track
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:25:29 pm »
aah scroll facing is the terminology eh... I see
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
Check case surfaces with a straight edge with a light behind it and/or a feeler gauge, the base of the cylinder would be first on the list to machine.
Brett

Proper GP engines have o rings or flat surfaces for sealing.Crankcase will never see higher than 5psi on a good day.
Jesus only loves two strokes