Author Topic: Pre 85 MX value's  (Read 5724 times)

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Pre 85 MX value's
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:05 am »
How is the market place these days? I sold a neat YZ250K in 09 for $3300. It still needed a little bit to finish off but was a regular ride. Needed frame painted and suspension overhauled, but came with everything else new plus DG exhaust.

Now sort of regret selling it and like to get another next year. Looking at a K, L or N. What should one pay for a decent one?
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 85 MX value's
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:27:15 am »
Whatever price you are happy paying! It gets me how people pay way over $1500 for a early MXer that needs a complete resto and heaps of parts. That "cheap" basket case usually ends up costing heaps more to get it back to life, if you can find all the small parts that somehow go missing.
There's a nice YZ250L on ebay at the moment. Even has an Ohlin shock.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:58 am »
The market has certainly dropped since then, and has taken another hit in the last couple of months. There's a rough, running K that was floating around locally. Old mate started at $2k, and was down to $800ono last time I looked - I don't know what it sold for, but it popped back up for sale soon after with a silicone spray & rattle can rebuild (no price, but it still looked like an $800 ono bike to me).

Most decent Pre-85 250 race bikes can be had for $2000 to $3500, depending on just how pretty and how well sorted they are. Anything up around $5k needs to be pretty much perfect.
That L on ebay won't sell for $5k. If the seller needs to get rid of it, he would have to start at something closer to $2500 and see what happens - and make a much better ad...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
it looks like its tanked to a degree, there just isn't the cash in system to float prices up with numerous buyers...lots of people want but can not buy so unless seller doesn't need to sell (they all say that!!) the price comes down or its fake bidded then re listed due to any number of "I didn't get enough for it "reasons.

the extra demand for these bikes has to a degree been satisfied, the rush to VMX or Vinduro has been sated for a lot of these new entrants and now its only the hard core guys looking for projects and only at project prices....

I suspect that the importers are starting to feel the pinch with the number of "bunnies" drying up that were buying overpriced "fully restored" bikes. I could be wrong about that but I detected a note of exasperation in one of the regular importers adds the other day...like "why wont someone buy this??!"

I think this generations desire for these bikes is falling back to pre boom levels.

which is good for the keen restorer, he can look forward to getting some good projects for realistic prices. not good for anyone just completing a 10k resto...

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
The market has certainly dropped since then, and has taken another hit in the last couple of months. There's a rough, running K that was floating around locally. Old mate started at $2k, and was down to $800ono last time I looked - I don't know what it sold for, but it popped back up for sale soon after with a silicone spray & rattle can rebuild (no price, but it still looked like an $800 ono bike to me).

Most decent Pre-85 250 race bikes can be had for $2000 to $3500, depending on just how pretty and how well sorted they are. Anything up around $5k needs to be pretty much perfect.
That L on ebay won't sell for $5k. If the seller needs to get rid of it, he would have to start at something closer to $2500 and see what happens - and make a much better ad...

Funny you should mention the L on ebay. Its the very reason i am asking. he has a good N as well for $3950. To me both bikes semm way overpriced. There a quiet a few 85 to 89 500's around for those prices. I kind of use big bore prices both in mx and vinuro as a rough price indicator.
I would have thought the L  worth $3000 to $3500 and the N $2000 to $3000?
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »
Funny you should mention the L on ebay. Its the very reason i am asking. he has a good N as well for $3950. To me both bikes semm way overpriced. There a quiet a few 85 to 89 500's around for those prices. I kind of use big bore prices both in mx and vinuro as a rough price indicator.

He's also got a non matching numbers basket case L, although it looks pretty complete, for $700. 

Somebody offered him $6000 for both L's and the N, bit cheeky of him, but if you don't ask you never know ;)

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:26:16 pm »

He's also got a non matching numbers basket case L, although it looks pretty complete, for $700. 

Somebody offered him $6000 for both L's and the N, bit cheeky of him, but if you don't ask you never know ;)

Probably a bit lowball. But not that far off either. $7500 for the lot perhaps?
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:02 pm »
I don't reckon $6k/lot is a lowball starting offer, once you consider that it sells all three bikes in one go.

The big test is "I've got $X. What's the best bike for my money?"... If you've gotta spend $5k to get a decent Pre-85 bike, then you'll probably end up on a three year old modern...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »
I think the offer was for the L plus the parts bike and the 88. Not the N.
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:58 am »
pay what you reckon it's worth to you.If you want it and can afford it-buy it.You only live once.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »
I think the offer was for the L plus the parts bike and the 88. Not the N.

You're right, have to put the correct glasses on next time ::)

$5k for the L might be a bit much, depending upon if any suspension work has been done, but if you bought his basket case for $700 you could probably easily spent $3-4k on it to get it to the same standard.

I spose it depends on finding the right buyer, someone who had one back in the day or wants one ready to go etc etc

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
I have quite a nice L for sale if anyone's interested $3500ono

0405 443779

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:04 am »

$5k for the L might be a bit much, depending upon if any suspension work has been done, but if you bought his basket case for $700 you could probably easily spent $3-4k on it to get it to the same standard.

Which is exactly my point. That "cheap" basket case won't be so cheap once it is ready to rock n roll. The L on ebay does have an Ohlins rear shock on it. Make the guy an offer. You never know......

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:28 pm »
Similar story everywhere. Talking to the couriers at work and they're all complaining about being quiet - and if the couriers are quiet, then everyone is... Haven't seen much in the way of closures locally, but virtually everyone who is self-employed has had their take-home income cut in the last couple of months (on top of what's been happening since the GFC).

Tough times to be trying to recoup your cash on old dirt bikes...

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 12:38:42 pm »
Similar story everywhere. Talking to the couriers at work and they're all complaining about being quiet - and if the couriers are quiet, then everyone is... Haven't seen much in the way of closures locally, but virtually everyone who is self-employed has had their take-home income cut in the last couple of months (on top of what's been happening since the GFC).

Tough times to be trying to recoup your cash on old dirt bikes...

Exactly Nathan. Unless you have something rare and exotic, the chance of even breaking even on a fully restored and prepared bike are very minimal. Fun tickets seem to be in short supply everywhere.