Author Topic: hacksaw blades  (Read 1860 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
hacksaw blades
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »

I have used better quality hacksaw blades for years and along with the name comes a higher price.  I dont mind that as long as they do the job, but lately the higher price does not necessarily ensure higher quality.  So I wonder if I might be just as well off using the blades from Supercheap (SCA brand) or similar at about $1 each insted of the $3 or $4 I pay now.
                                                   Zane   
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: hacksaw blades
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »
As a rule its worth paying for good quality tools. There's a few variables there too 1) your technique 2) what you cutting 3)How much cutting the blade has done and what material AND technique. J

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:04:30 pm »

Hi Jerry, the point I was making is the quality of the more expensive blades seems to be suffering lately and there might not be much of a difference between some of the cheaper blades and the dearer blades.  I know if you buy top of the line stuff, some up to $6 each they are still good quality but does anyone on here use the cheaper blades and what type have you had success with.  I picked up some cheapies from the markets for about 50 cents each and I was robbed, you could have tied knots in them and the teeth were gone in no time flat.
             Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:34 pm »
I find a squirt of wd40 helps prolong the life of the blades and makes for easier cutting as well making the cheapies last a lot longer then without the lube ;)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:23:56 pm »
Its the rule of life. the best you can afford.
Drill bits are my biggest issue. If you use quality they last and don't annoy you as much as the cheaper ones. I live 15 minutes from the nearest hardware shop so that's a 45minute round trip at least to go buy a replacement when something breaks. I would rather keep working knowing I can rely on what I have to give me a decent result. Otherwise its my fault for buying the rubbish in the first place not the rubbish tools.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
Colbolt coated blades are what I use. You can cut stainless and they last.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
Its the rule of life. the best you can afford.
Drill bits are my biggest issue. If you use quality they last and don't annoy you as much as the cheaper ones. I live 15 minutes from the nearest hardware shop so that's a 45minute round trip at least to go buy a replacement when something breaks. I would rather keep working knowing I can rely on what I have to give me a decent result. Otherwise its my fault for buying the rubbish in the first place not the rubbish tools.

Yes! one of the guys at work turned up with a bulk pack of "Tekcraft" (I think) drill bits....honestly they WOULD NOT drill 4mm plate??? Just squealed on the surface. :o

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:52:33 am »
You guys should know the tip if your drilling really hard steel or hi carbon steel you use a concrete drill?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:27:08 am »
I pick up super ego blades / rothenberger from the local plumbers supply last that long its immaterial how much i pay for them 

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
i use bandsaw blades cut and drilled to suit my hacksaw. They are more flexible and last longer than your conventional hacksaw blades. i usualy get 14-18 TPI ones. starrett cost about ten dollars a pop and you will get 4-5 blades when you cut them up. also use some oil when you cutting harder metals.