Author Topic: Imperial Titanium bolts  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Imperial Titanium bolts
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:22 am »
Does anyone know somewhere in Melbourne that stocks imperial titanium bolts?

I know WASP/YSS  has a really good range of metric at good prices but he doesn't have enough call for imperial sizes to stock them in smaller quantities, that's understandable, so I'm looking for somewhere in Melbourne preferably where I can turn up with my samples and buy across the counter.

The reason for going titanium is nothing other than having a bit of fun, and, last week I purchased 12 stainless steel bolts from a local engineering supply shop Gippsland Bearings and nearly fell over when they were $34 for the lot, and they were all 6 mil metric capscrews, 4 of them 45 mil long the others 50 mil long.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Titanium bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:03 am »
Find someone that works at Boeing aircraft factory, I had a mate that use to work at a workshop at Tullamarine, they had to throw literally tons of Ti imperial nuts & bolts out as they met their 'use-by' date, which is still ok for bikes.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »
Thanks John, already tried the aircraft people, pretty lucky around here we have an Air Force Base on one side of the town and a civilian airstrip and workshops on the other side of the town and then out towards the 90 mile beach there are ESSO helicopter workshops, so there are plenty of aeroplane "mechanics" around, and there is another fellow who collect's old aircraft parts to sell on eBay, he has some amazing stuff, radial engines and instruments and airframe parts, anyway to cut to the chase, most of the aircraft bolts are not suitable because they have very fine threads and as yet have I not seen any of them with Screw/Allen key heads, and most of them are just the wrong size

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:37:09 pm »
i got 15 the same 6ml 45 and 50 long the other day down in Melbourne and it was $12. 60 someones making some profit
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »