Author Topic: Pyramid parts fork seals  (Read 9203 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Pyramid parts fork seals
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
Are they any good or junk,and there other stuff they sell?, Posted from Aus or just a shop front? IE takes two weeks to get after ordering or couple of days?  :)

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramid parts fork seals
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:24:41 pm »
well im the opposite of an expert. But I did use them on my 76 YZ 125 and they ( touch wood seem great). Mind you getting the old ones out is a different story , and good luck with that

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
I think our old mate Mainline would say "avoid like the plague"  He had a bad experience.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:14:58 pm »
They are posted from Un Zud ....... I've used Pyramid and "All balls" seals with varying results, My Rm 125 B has
Pyramid seal and have been there for 4 years on the other hand my DRm is on it's 2nd set of  A/ balls seals in 4 years.
I put it down to how hard they have to work and the environment. 

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »
Are they any good or junk,and there other stuff they sell?, Posted from Aus or just a shop front? IE takes two weeks to get after ordering or couple of days?  :)

I've used pyramid seals without issue on a couple of occasions now.  Would use them again for sure.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:08 pm »
yeah - I wouldn't complain - they seem OK.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »
Same here All good with fork seals many times over ,plus mix and match with the steering head bearing. for lots of projects DKW/Alron/Ossa

Postage from NZ fast  ;D

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »
I have bought a couple of sets and one was bad the rest good.
I think the main problem with Pyramid is when you have a problem.
Then it can get a bit ugly.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 05:41:22 pm »
i used a set of the pyramid fork seals in my YZ250 and ended up removing them for a different brand. my problems with the pyramid seals is they are like plastic and not rubber, they cause really bad stiction when cold and need a lot of force to get them working smoothly. i replaced them with fork seals with double wiper rings, can't remember the brand but these take less effort to get them working. i ended up doing the same with my IT250 and swapped to the double whipper seals.

to give an example with the pyramid seals, if i gently pushed down on the footpeg the rear shock would move while the forks would not unless i used heaps of pressure on the peg.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »
I had a bad experince.. when packet arrived..were nowhere near..not even in the same postcode ..as to what I wanted..what was advertised..  correspondence with them was along the lines of..." well..tell me what you want..""??..  i sent the dimensions of the seals / wipers required.. no response..  ppppffftt.... never again...frkn K1W1's..

Offline The Wombat

• B-Grade
  • I think I can I think I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 09:04:20 pm »
I had a crappy experience with them, ship from NZ but if they stuff up u need to return to UK = $$$ I got 1/2 my money back they charged in pounds and refunded in AU dollars shifty as, CBF'd chasing them down.

Go see yr local bike shop, if he stuffs up at least u can sort it face to face. End of the day the extra couple of dollars will be cheaper than shipping O/S and weeks of chasing around.

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »
I used a set of fork oil and dust seals in my 84 KDX200, the oil seals whent in ok but the dust seals were not right, had to modify them to get them to fit, not impressed. They havent leaked and delivery was ok, I will look for something else before I bought from them again.

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »
I bought 2 sets a few years ago 1 set for my Montesa, Montesa's run 4 seals, 2 seals on each leg 7mm thick they sent 2 10mm thick. Wrong part I put them in but they leaked after the 1st ride.
Seconed set for my YZ/WR 250 seconed ride leaked.
I reacently bought another set for an old Honda CT125 wrong size again but they sort of fitted (its an old dungger so I don't realy care).
0 and 3, I will never deal with them again. My advice is, pay a little extra and you will be better off in the long run.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:43 pm »
The wombat,
I had the same experience with yz gators!
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:20:13 pm »
Thank's guy's,will give them a miss then ;)