Author Topic: 80's 125 husqvarna ID help needed  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
80's 125 husqvarna ID help needed
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:20 am »
i have a bike  frame id stamped husqvarna  DGM 52242 OM then under that IT *000585* cagiva engine 00601
with conventional fork with small resivour on bottom of one leg ,its basicly a cagiva with a husqvarna seat cover and husqvarna headstamp , on the alloy swing arm it has a decal '125' no enduro decals anywhere bit a mystery as it has an australian compliance plate  (engraved) 1987 wr125 , looks very identical to a cagiva motocrosser , forks are interesting only sprung one side , good comp plenty of spark all plastics good

only thing missing is  disc caliper, line and hydralic handlebar lever assembly ,

can you assit , thanks

looks like this but white tank side plate guards and frame  has  black airscoops and blue and white seat
http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel/gps-classic-steel-1986-cagiva-wmx125
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:08:42 am by Branchy »
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: 80's 125 husqvarna ID help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:02 am »
Trusting my memory here:

It is the first of the Italian Huskies. 1988 model, possibly 1989.
They were, as you say, just a rebadged Cagiva. The 125s were the first to be Italianified, because the Swedish 125s were crap in the late 1980s (unlike the Swedish 250cc+ bikes which were still pretty good).

The month on the compliance plate would also be a clue to the exact model, but don't trust it too much from the Euro bikes of that era... ;)

There will probably be a date stamp in the wheel rims, which is another clue.

The Marzocchi "single function fork" (not that they called them that at the time) was regularly criticised for being too soft. I seem to recall there being a problem in getting stiffer single springs, and I assume there's no room for a spring in the dampening leg.

Phil Geilis rode a Cagiva 125 in enduros in 1986 - Same basic bike. There were a few ADB articles on it at the time.

Love to see a photo or ten.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:59:31 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:39:39 am »
I have an 88 model Cagiva / Husky WRK125, it runs the black tank under the full shroud body work like the last of the Swedish (though nothing is interchangeable). I believe the 87 model was the 'MX' type body work as you describe, I have seen some photos on ebay of these from time to time. Check café Husky, then Halls Cycles for a parts book and manual (it'll be listed as a WRK)

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:06 am »

There will probably be a date stamp in the wheel rims, which is another clue.

'no good both replacement rims '

maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)