Author Topic: My Unzed firends some advice  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
My Unzed firends some advice
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:32:17 am »
What is this part world like to live and work? Dunedin NZ South Island
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My Unzed firends some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:37 am »
Freezing in winter, generally gets snowed in at least once a year. About 4hours drive to Christchurch & I think a bit less to Queenstown so there's plenty to do in your spare time
Not sure what the work situation is actually like down there but they do have a major brewery & cadburys there as well as the university so it shouldn't be too bad, I take it you have a job in mind already?
People are generally very friendly unless you say you're from Auckland

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:25:54 am »
They also speak English (sort of!) last time I was there the uni students were playing nude rugby. J

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:02 am »
Dunedin is very hilly, in fact NZ steepest street is there, I lived and worked there a while ago and once you have adapted to the climate it's generally a nice place to live and as others will say Queenstown is only 3 hours away through some of the nicest scenery you will see and some of the most fun roads to ride.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:44:57 am »
My sister lives there so it cant be too bad [she's a North Islander].....very pretty place, lots of riding around the place, there's a huge new motosport complex at Cromwell [the Scotsman that owns VIP Petfoods built it.....don't have the restrictions like here and everybody holding there hand out for money], Warbirds at Wanaka [everyone should put that on there bucket list], Race to the Sky [where possum Bourne was killed], worlds fastest Indian [Invercargil...short drive], the list goes on and it's in one of the most beautiful Islands in the world [don't knock if you haven't been]....if you have a chance Mic, go for it.....we'll all come over for a VMX meet......Also, the world's best oysters....the mighty Bluff Oyster!!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:40:00 am »
I have a recurment guy talking to me about a job in a foundry there. The money isnt great as it is NZ dollars which is suspose to be heaps over there. Is it expensive over there . How much is a sconner at the pub in NZ money? Sounds like a nice place to spend a few years.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 12:10:19 pm »
Mick I have found a $ is a $ regardless of where you are in the world as far as the cost of living is concerned . The downside is when you leave to go home from here your $ is approx. worth 20% less . Also basics like dairy products , meat , petrol are all more expensive over here .

Nice place but cold in winter , colonised by Jocks and it shows in the architecture and the general mind set  of the locals .

To be Honest it would have to be a really really good offer to get me to live down there and I am already in the same country .

I wouldn't commit until you fly over for a week and check it all out .

Good luck whatever you choose to do , I think in the south island VMX is all Christchurch north , so nothing local to Dunedin .
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
Hi,
Its been a while since there was 20% difference in the Aud and NZd
at the moment is one Aud is 1.058 compared to the Kiwi peso, by the time the money changers get a Commission you  will be Buck for Buck maybe
I bought a Kiwi  $100 note  from the Comm  bank last week cost $108 Aud  ouch
cheers
ps Apples peaches nectarines apricots taste like they should,
  fresh Salmon shishimi, and seafood is choice Bro 

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »
The Job is 90k which I'm told is alot for a NZ job? , I live in the mountains and it is double digit cold here so if its not much colder than minus 10 Ill be ok. Thanks for the info. As for the naked rugby I asume they were girls playing that?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
90k for a non government or leech job is good money over here, quite a bit more than the average wage

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
GO the NZ Peso
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 08:07:28 pm »
I live in Auckland but born and bred in the South Island and travel around the country a lot,and was in Dunners beginning of February this year, so here's my 50c

Dunedin is a small town around the size of a Toowomba (120,000)  albeit based around the coast and hills in the lower South Island.
It is a. Fairly sleepy place dominated by the university and industry servicing the rural communities of the lower south island.
$90K is good money down there ,the weather is cold and not that warm even in summer.If you like hunting and or outdoor pursuits it's a good place to live.
Good luck with your decision.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »
oldmanyz  don't laugh you will soon be the peso, we are up to 0.94c to the lucky country and predicted $ for $ by xmas as your economy continues down the girgler
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:34 pm »
You opened your mouth too soon Mike, I see you got a 1/4% interest rate rise today. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:40 am »
yes and the dollar closed up on the auz dollar again as overseas investors see a better return here!!
Because I worked hard I have no mortgage but yes will be a pain for friends and our kids.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina