Author Topic: Here's something for Honda lovers....C&J XR500  (Read 31855 times)

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Here's something for Honda lovers....C&J XR500
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
Paint it all red and the same knockers would be drooling over it.
Frame builders never care too much about Number plates, That's the Riders job.
Frame Builders care about Kilos and how the end product works,
and having ridden a C&J framed XL500, I can say they work really well!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
There's can American guy who occasionally posts on here named Eric who's got a couple of very cool C&J Hondas including one very sweet white desert racer on which he blogged a ride in Baja some time ago.
Here's the thread by Eric318 showing his C&J Hondas.
  http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=12369.msg286929#msg286929
http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=25359.msg277570#msg277570
http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=20623.0
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Vintmxman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
I own just like this bike and don't beleive the hype. They are not worth the money. I have much better racers at half the price...just my 2 cents...

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
I'm with Firko, paint and fenders are so easy to replace for something you like that it cant be considered  :)

Exactly. The look of a bike all comes down to how you want it to look. A lot of the US desert racers were white back in the late 70's and 80's...for some reason they liked them white.

Here's some pics of my hot rod 77 XL420 made to look like the bike Honda could of built with '76 CR250 plastics and a lot of frame tweaks.

LONG LIVE HONDA THUMPERS

That's cool! What frame did you use TBM?

Thanks Johhny.... The frame started out as a stock 77 XL350. It went through a lot of modification, particularly the rear loop that I cut and shut to make it a lot narrower and to fit the CR seat and mud guard. All parts bolt on as they should. Put decent foot peg mounts on it. Gusseted the backbone and headstem area and a few other little tweaks. I was going to use a '76 CR frame but when I compared the XL and CR frame, the XL frame looked a lot stronger so I chose it. It wasn't exactly the cheap build I was hoping it would be, but where do you find a C&J pre78 bike for under $7K ?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »
Don't get upset fella's & it really is my own opinion, but I just don't see the fascination with converted 4 stroke trail bikes no matter how well engineered or whatever. The phrase "pigs in lipstick" comes to my mind.
K

Just imagine how easy a Husky would start if it had a Honda thumper in it......

I like having something different K and have always loved Honda fourstroke thumpers. They work great when they are set up right. My XL runs at the pointy end in Pre78 at VCM races, and that's with my fat arse on it. It's no longer a trailbike and a whole world away from what Honda gave the public....

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
White Tank is CR80 twin shock?

79 CR125 SON ;) The twin shock CR80 tank is steel,I have both tank's,tried em both on my 250RZ, The 80 tank looks crap & the 125 tank looks cool on it,the seat needs to be moved forward though as there is a big nut crunching gap between them, and the fuel tap needs relocating to the other side as it hits the pipe :)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm with Firko, paint and fenders are so easy to replace for something you like that it cant be considered  :)

Exactly. The look of a bike all comes down to how you want it to look. A lot of the US desert racers were white back in the late 70's and 80's...for some reason they liked them white.

Here's some pics of my hot rod 77 XL420 made to look like the bike Honda could of built with '76 CR250 plastics and a lot of frame tweaks.

LONG LIVE HONDA THUMPERS

That's cool! What frame did you use TBM?

Thanks Johhny.... The frame started out as a stock 77 XL350. It went through a lot of modification, particularly the rear loop that I cut and shut to make it a lot narrower and to fit the CR seat and mud guard. All parts bolt on as they should. Put decent foot peg mounts on it. Gusseted the backbone and headstem area and a few other little tweaks. I was going to use a '76 CR frame but when I compared the XL and CR frame, the XL frame looked a lot stronger so I chose it. It wasn't exactly the cheap build I was hoping it would be, but where do you find a C&J pre78 bike for under $7K ?
You done a top job on the Honda TBM  ;) it all fits together great , is that a white bros/ pro fab swing arm on it ??? looks like one 8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:30:53 PM by mick25 »

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
Thanks Mick25.....Everything bolts together as it would of from the factory. It takes a bit of time, measuring, measuring and remeasuring, but I think the end result is worth the effort. The swing arm is a White Brothers that I was lucky enough to find while epay surfing for a swing arm for the build. It only took a week to find  ;D

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
Just buy an aircooled husky 4t, half the weight, twice the power and the worlds best shockers?

just cant see why you would spend $$$ and time trying to make a pig into a whippet when the greyhound is available.

the husky motors make so much better power than all the Honda Yamaha 4 bangers of the time and they sound heaps better (twin pipes were std) :D

this is a sh*tstir post......really

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »
Just buy an aircooled husky 4t, half the weight, twice the power and the worlds best shockers?

just cant see why you would spend $$$ and time trying to make a pig into a whippet when the greyhound is available.

the husky motors make so much better power than all the Honda Yamaha 4 bangers of the time and they sound heaps better (twin pipes were std) :D

Don't hold back  ;D ;D The husky 510 seem to be rare , I have seen a couple in our club over the years roy gay had a nice one and went like a rocket ship ;) but have heard parts are top dollar for these models  ???.
I know someone that has a 510 for sale but not cheap , I am in the process of building a husky frame to suit the xr,xl 500 donk its coming together good , buts heaps of work and its a mates bike  :P will post some pics up when done in a couple of weeks I hope.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
They have issues and price is one of them but the experts about have solutions and a lot of the water cooled stuff fits the old a/c models.

what year frame are you slaughtering??

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
They have issues and price is one of them but the experts about have solutions and a lot of the water cooled stuff fits the old a/c models.

what year frame are you slaughtering??
Its a 1981 husky 250 frame under the knife :o theres plenty of room in these husky frames for engine transplants ;D you could just about squeeze a V twin in there , but all jokes a side the husky frame seems to be easy to fit different tanks , CR125,CR250 1979 , early husky tanks etc , its like they were made for engine and tanks swaps ;D and the frames seem to be made very simple theres only a few brackets on them not like jap bikes.
may need to start a new thread on slaughtering husky frames :o

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Don't let the café husky team in the US see this, they may send a hit squad!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »
Don't let the café husky team in the US see this, they may send a hit squad!
;) good tip, will keep it under cover  :)

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »

Ahh, funny flucker..... ;D Air cooled husky 4t's are great, when you actually get to ride them and stop working on them... Was there a 4T suitable for the pre78 era?

I enjoyed the journey of turning my pig (I agree the stock XL350 was a fat pig) into a thoroughbred lean and mean racing machine. It's a hoot to ride, does everything it should and gives all the pre78 2 smokers a decent run for their money.....and no one else has one  8)