Author Topic: Shock Preload Rings  (Read 939 times)

Tony T

Shock Preload Rings
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »
I've got a pair of shocks and the preload rings are corroded to the bodies. I tried some gentle heat, cooling, CRC etc etc and once I start trying to persuade them with a hammer, one just split.
I assume the second one will do the same so I was wondering if anyone had a couple of spares they'd part with?
Not sure what sort of shocks they are, but I'm sure one of you blokes will.  :D
O.D. of the body is just under 39mm so I guess anything that size could be made to work?
Thanks in advance.

oldfart

Re: Shock Preload Rings
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »
Tony put some coke on the rusted area .... sugar will eat away the rust.

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »
Thanks Stewy.
Will do that on the remaining one, but I still need at least one replacement. Preferably 2.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:33:44 pm »
Tony those shocks look like std shocks that ts250A's came out with but there should be a lot of std shocks around with similar preload adjusters around

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »
citric acid from the supermarket you know for cakes and stuff its great at eating rust, then  just wash in water with a bit of bicarb to nuetralize, make it up with water a couple of tea spoons to the litre or till it tastes like a very sour lemon :'( and use a old bit of scrap rusty steel to test if you are scared toput the job in 1st ;) oh yer its great to get rust out of petrol tanks just make sure ya dry it after nuetralizing and get some diesel or other hydrocarbon in to stop surface rust starting  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:42:47 pm by shelpi »

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »
Sorry fellas, I forgot to update this one.  :-[
I went out to the back shed and stubbed my toe on an XL frame and it had shocks with the adjusters I need in place!  ::)
Sorry to waste everyone's time.....