Author Topic: Group therapy Obsessive Compulsive M/C Hoarding disorder. (And anything else)  (Read 24518 times)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
        Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Group therapy Obsessive Compulsive M/C Hoarding disorder. (And anything else)
« Reply #14 on: Today at 09:56:22 AM »

mark, you need to get your priority right, you keep on telling me, you are a hoarder, i am not, l grew up in a family that where big time hoarders, what you see on pickers, thats what it was like for me. you need to sell a few bikes Mark, and just be contented with a couple of shed queens and a couple of full on raced prep bikes. I will look after Tony.C next year.

Absolutely Dave, my ideal is to have two good dirt trackers, two motocross bikes and a couple of Classic Dirt only bikes but for one flaw in the program........While most folks on here's hobby is to actually race their bikes, my hobby is actually building them. If I limit my collection to the numbers I mentioned earlier, a bike would have to go on the market every time I finish a new project. The problem here is in deciding which bikes actually leave the family to keep the numbers under control......I have affection for most of the projects and there's a reason for all of their construction so which one goes?.....I don't race motocross any more so it's logical that the motocross tackle is sold off and I keep the dirt trackers that I potentially ride but, which motocrossers go? As I said earlier, it does my head in ::)
Yes its just like ,"Sophies choice".p  Sorry cant do the coloured thing.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Yep, I too am a hoarder of anything that might be useful someday. I'm lucky in the sense that I have the room but even with that considered, the stash does get a bit overwhelming at times. I have driven for over 6 hours to collect a bike from evil bay that was nothing like the description of it and I still came home with it, albeit at a cheaper price. It was (still is) a pile of poo sitting in the back of 1 of my Bedford vans that is waiting to get a restoration as well. The other Bedford is full of mini XR and CR parts. I have motors stashed under benches. Frames and pipes hanging from the rafters and wheels of various condition and make stashed in the main shed. More frames and 2 bikes in the garden shed along with heaps of timber, star pickets and various other "goodies".... There's a 1989 HSV Calais sitting under a cover in the shed, 8 complete and running bikes with another 5 waiting restoration lined up along the wall. The B44 is up on the work bench as we speak. Luckily I just sold one of the projects to a forum member a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Kevin  :D
 I have restored quite a few over the last few years ( IT's, PE's, CR's and XR's) and let them go to new homes. At one stage there I had all the 1984 Honda CR's (restored or good originals) and an XR500.
It all came to head when I realised I just couldn't keep everything AND afford to build the bikes I had in waiting. If I could afford to keep all of them, I wouldn't have the time to do the restorations as I'd always be at work to get me more money so I could buy more "things".....
Now I'm on a mission to build a bike for every era of VMX. I've got my pre70 B44( in progress), Pre75 B50, Pre75 MT/CR250M,  Pre78 XL 420 Hybrid, Evo CR250RZ and then a pre85 bike to build. I don't know whether to build a four stroke racer from the XR500 and CR parts or just restore the CR250RE....
Yep, it is a Compulsive Disorder......But I wouldn't have it any other way  ::)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
I have it bad also but not just bikes I gather all sorts of things, usually goes something like this ( " i had /or wanted one of those when I was younger") seems to justify it. Lucky her indoors is cool about it ( except the race cars) she wont   forget  when Id buy $800 in rally tires and give her $50 to run the house!!! and I only earnt $300 per week ;D
 So when does being a collector become a hoarder? there must be a point that tips the scales to complete insanity :o
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
"Hoarding", "OCD", "Disorder"....don't be so hard on yourselves.
Conservationist's is what you are, all up for a Nobel prize soon. ;)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
"Hoarding", "OCD", "Disorder"....don't be so hard on yourselves.
Conservationist's is what you are, all up for a Nobel prize soon. ;)

Awesome, whats the prize?

I hope its another bike ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
I heard a scarecrow won the nobel peace prize.............."He was out standing in his field.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
An obsession become a real problem when everything needs to be done in a minimum of pairs or a full series.

Let me show you what I mean and how expensive it becomes

1. Collecting pairs like a pair of KX motocross bikes from same year ( still relatively cheap)

2. Collecting  every model since 1973 ie Honda's

3. Making sure everything you have collected is restored properly from ground up

4. Running a team of race bikes for yourself and or a  mate or two

Please say a prayer for me and my problem
Old and slow - and happy

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
I have it bad also but not just bikes I gather all sorts of things, usually goes something like this ( " i had /or wanted one of those when I was younger") seems to justify it.

Oh yeah, I started collecting Timpo cowboys for my son because I loved them as a kid. Then realised he doesn't watch westerns so wont get it. Plus they have become that collectible they're to valuable to let him feed them to the lawnmower. I started collecting Meccano to add to my old set for him. Then heard him ask mum why dad's Meccano is so old and crappy. He's still too young for it but he does get me to build cool cars for him to play with. It dawned on me that today's kids aren't all that interested in yesterdays toys anyway. But he is starting to show some construction interest so the Meccano may just get used by him yet.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
my kids show to much interest in my beer in fridge mayed there not kids anymore  sh#t when did thay grow up musta missed that

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Hoarding? bad word!!Think of it as projects for the future.Got to have something to do later in life.I have a modest collection of BSA unit singles (and a few other bikes)and I love them.Only becomes an issue if you NEVER do anything with them.As long as you can pay the rent you might as well indulge yourself.How often do you hear"I had one of those once or Gee's I'd like one of them again"but that's all some folks do is "wish".Enjoy while you can.Life is full of unexpected surprises so keep collecting and keep building bigger sheds.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Hoarding? bad word!!Think of it as projects for the future.Got to have something to do later in life.I have a modest collection of BSA unit singles (and a few other bikes)and I love them.Only becomes an issue if you NEVER do anything with them.As long as you can pay the rent you might as well indulge yourself.How often do you hear"I had one of those once or Gee's I'd like one of them again"but that's all some folks do is "wish".Enjoy while you can.Life is full of unexpected surprises so keep collecting and keep building bigger sheds.

Denial is the early stage of the disorder. When the square footage of your shed space is more than double the size of your family's living space and you can't walk into said shed. Then some re evauluation may be in order.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
To be very boring and serious...
My mother in law is a hoarder. She lives alone (surprise surprise...) in a house that has four bedrooms and a study, but there so much crap there that I feel claustrophobic when I'm there. 
PLUS she's got crap in a storage unit that she can't afford... And still tries to bring crap up to our place "because you've got so much room". Those of you who have seen my shed will understand how ridiculous her place must be.

Personally, I've always been limited by space and money, so when we began to earn enough to buy a place with a big shed (7x9m + mezzanine), a 12x5m machinery shed, and a 7x3m converted stable, all on an acre, I went a bit beserk, and overfilled the place... I think my worst was 45 bikes and 42 cars...
After a while, I realised that:
A) Even if I lived to 150 years old, I was never going to finish all o the projects I had;
B) Despite my best efforts, stuff was deteriorating;
C) I was sick and tired of tripping over stuff;
D) The effort of keeping track of it all was really quite draining;
E) There was a hell of a lot of money tied up in all of these unfinished projects;
F) These unfinished projects were draining a lot of my income, which stopped me doing stuff that I wanted to do;
G) There was no way I could use all of them anyhow (I owned seven Pre-75 250s and five Pre-78 125s at once, for example...).
H) I was basically turning into my mother-in-law...

I had all of the excuses, of course: "If I sell this, I'll never find another one", "I bought it to save it", "I always wanted one of these", "The old stuff is cooler", etc etc, but something had to give - so I started selling stuff - some of it was just junk, some of it definitely wasn't...
My wife even objected: "You will never find another one", and stuff like that.

But you know what? Having less "stuff" is a huge relief, and I haven't regretted a single sale.
There's still a long way to go, and the juiciest fruit has already gone, so progress is slower and more difficult, but I can live with that.
We're ahead on the mortgage, I've been able to afford two brand new bikes since 2011, I have more time to spend with the family, the Wife is happier, the kids have more space, I've got a lot more financial flexibility, the neighbours are happier, and because of all of this, I get to ride more often.

I never considered myself mentally ill, but my mental health has definitely improved since I have recognised that my collection was simply cluttering up my life.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
The one thing that you can count on when unloading your "excess stuff" is that once its gone your gunna need it ;)
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Oh, and...
If it really is about "saving" something, then drag it home and advertise it straight away. Most of us will know someone who could actually use it - a quick phone call or an ad on OzVMX will usually find it a deserving home without you needing to drag more shit home.
Alternatively, saving it can mean that you fix it and then fork it off to a new home.

A lot of the time, I found that owning it scratched my itch. Surprisingly often, what I was really buying was just the opportunity to ride a particular bike. The ownership is important, but only in regard to being able to take full responsibility for it - to set it up how you want, to not have to worry about damaging someone else's bike, etc. This doesn't mean that you need to own it forever.

Projects are important for most of us. I can't imagine a time when I don't have a project in the shed - I'm not advocating that sterile shed where every bike is under a sheet, ready to go. But having twenty five unstarted/half finished projects messes with your head. I've one active bike project, two "waiting in the wings" projects and another two or three "could become a project bike if I want to" projects ATM - and if I'm honest, that's too many.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
The one thing that you can count on when unloading your "excess stuff" is that once its gone your gunna need it ;)
How true,I sold off a fair bit of "excess" BSA parts to a fellow that was building up a "Desert Racer" and sure enough when the next project was under way I found that "I should have kept that bit"as it actually would have been of use.Denial-obssesion,call it what you like, each to their own.Recently had the pleasure to go to a elderly gents place in Wangaratta to see his COLLECTION of motorcycles.He would've had no less than 20 road-race bikes(all running)sidecars and a couple of old speedway bikes.His massive shed was full of bikes and parts.He derived a great deal of pleasure from sharing with other people what he had.No ego-no trying to sell anything,just sharing his interest in old bikes.If it causes somebody grief then unload stuff by all means but if it brings you joy, hoard away.Today will be a good day for me as I'm going to fire up a long term project for the first time.