Author Topic: 2014 Australian Classic Motocross Titles for pre 78  (Read 77358 times)

Offline Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Australian Classic Motocross Titles for pre 78
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:09 pm »
Just spent the day unpacking after the drive home to Geelong. To anyone with negative comments who did not attend pull your head in. I had a great weekend, made up the numbers in the middle of the Pack and had a ball. The club did a great job and a big thanks to all involved.
Terry #64.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »
If asking a question about why the amount of laps was shortened before testing time constraints is complaining, then I'm not here. Take the time out for the medical staff on the track and the lunch break and this meet would have been over at Noon on Sunday.

At QMP last year they started with 6 laps, realised they would run out of time and shortened it to 5 laps for the Saturday and ran 4 laps on the Sunday. Hence my question on why the time constraints weren't tested before making a decision. This is not a slag off at the host club. I thought they did a fantastic job. They even bent over backwards to find me a welder and operator to fix my bike.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »
If asking a question about why the amount of laps was shortened before testing time constraints is complaining, then I'm not here. Take the time out for the medical staff on the track and the lunch break and this meet would have been over at Noon on Sunday.

At QMP last year they started with 6 laps, realised they would run out of time and shortened it to 5 laps for the Saturday and ran 4 laps on the Sunday. Hence my question on why the time constraints weren't tested before making a decision. This is not a slag off at the host club. I thought they did a fantastic job. They even bent over backwards to find me a welder and operator to fix my bike.

I agree with Ted. 

I think it is unreasonable to reduce the number of laps before the racing starts, can't anyone work out a run sheet (it's not hard).  Riders enter a meting based on what is in the sup-regs, they have every right to question why it was changed.

As for the suggestion that normal club days are three laps so why more.  Well it was an Australian Championship.  Championships usually attach the best riders so should be a step or two or three above a club day.

This meeting has been run and won.  By all accounts was successful, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from it.

Look at the GCRs (for MX, SX and Jnr MX Championships), how the Championships should be run is set out in the MOMS.  Something similar needs to be added for Classic and Post Classic MX & DT.  Not just classes but everything.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:02:58 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2014, 06:31:34 pm »
Kev, I was told by a local that their own fast guys do 2:10's around the track and we would be 2:30. I am assuming they weren't expecting some guys doing 2:06's and plenty doing 2:10 on these old shitboxes we ride. This was confirmed when the fastest local rider there said to me  he can lap quicker on a 77 model than he can on his modern. It was pre-conceived that they would struggle for time. Pity that they didn't think about that before they put out the supp regs.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Best is in the West !!

Offline bigthumpa

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2014, 09:11:08 pm »
We really need to move on! Great event? I think we can all agree on that one. Amount of laps?  Too many? Not enough? I guess it is personal. But I will tell you one thing, stick your arse on a Pre60 bike with hardly any brakes, weight comparable to the Titanic (with handling to match!) and I reckon 3 laps was plenty. Greg Cavell, Brad van Barrello and the like could do the 4/5 laps I suggest without too much difficulty. Anyway let's all treat this as a learning experience and enjoy this sport that we all love hey  :D

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »
Thanks to all who put this event on.

I came last in every race I entered but it had nothing to so with the track or the number of laps, I'm just slow.

The jumps put me off at first but as time when on I started to come to grips with them. I just don't ride that bike or jump often enough.

I enjoyed meeting up with familiar faces and meeting some new ones. I enjoyed the track layout but unless I can get to ride a bit faster I don't think I'll aim above club level races in future. I don't mind racing with someone for second last but simply being last, by a lot, has no appeal.

My few negative feelings about the event are NOT to do with the event or the club they are simply to do with my riding

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »
Kev, I was told by a local that their own fast guys do 2:10's around the track and we would be 2:30. I am assuming they weren't expecting some guys doing 2:06's and plenty doing 2:10 on these old shitboxes we ride. This was confirmed when the fastest local rider there said to me  he can lap quicker on a 77 model than he can on his modern. It was pre-conceived that they would struggle for time. Pity that they didn't think about that before they put out the supp regs.

Ted

That is why I said the races should be time eg 10 or 12 minutes.  Especially if you say the race time is as near as practical and may finish just short.  I work on the time plus three minutes, but if you want to be safe it can be eg 10 minutes plus five minute turn around.  You can quickly put together a run sheet.  A run sheet also allows you to know where you are in the meeting etc and what race you are likely to get too.  That way riders don't have to sit around waiting just in case their second race can be run.

Anyway any club that runs an Australian Championship deserves to be applauded.

As I have said the format for a Championship needs to be set out in more detail.  That way hopefully there is less outside interference.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:24:53 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:30 am »
I wasn't having a whinge at the Port Augusta club when I said 3 laps is way too short for a championship meeting. I wasn't there so I can hardly pretend to be in a position to criticise the club. By all accounts the meeting was a huge success and ran smoothly so the club should be congratulated.

I was just offering my 2 bobs worth when I said 3 laps is too short a race. I like the idea of timed races and have done since I started riding old MX'ers. Even at club level, the races should be at least 4 laps. When a meeting starts at 10am and finishes by 2pm with half hour for lunch in the middle, I feel there is more than enough time to extend the race lengths. Crikey, I spend more time driving to events with bikes on the back rather than having a decent days worth of riding.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:22 pm »
Supp regs said 4, it should have been run as 4, so who is going to own up as changing it and for what purpose ?  as other have said it was an aussie title, not a parade.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
Interesting observation, in general the positive comments on here are from those who rode at the event, the negative comments are from those who did not.
Right or wrong the riders had every chance to question the change to 3 laps at briefing, and no one did.
I did not hear one complaint regarding this over the weekend from the riders, so it seems in general those that paid their money, drove the distance, and rode the races were happy.
Once the usual pre event bullshit had been settled down the event was a success and a credit to the effort of a small club who can be proud of their achievement.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »
How's the stress levels Freaky? Not long now hey. If you have any last minute things to do on the Friday get a list together and I'm sure Team WA can lend a hand :D

Mate no stress here, I pulled out of the event at the close of entries. after there was a lot of bad ju ju from people who should know better screwing around with the event.  including changing the sup regs after being approved and publically released.....

After 18 months of working with Allan on it as soon as it was overrun with posturing antics from non club members without a clue on the event vision I bailed, enough was enough.

The only hats off and credit should go to Allan smith, he literally got this event off the ground and stayed the course putting in more hours than anyone, although with 5 people deliberately trying to derail his vision for the event, he still kept swinging. 

from the start ( feb 2013) All he ever wanted to do was run another CB, and he was certainly on track to deliver an awesome event that would have matched it.   In the end he gave up on stupidity too and you may have noticed just sat up the back of the presentations.   A big thank you to WA members for taking the time and effort to recognise and present Allan with the Race BIB.  I know he really did appreciate the gesture.

Now the event has been run and won we can openly say All the changes and medalling in the event was the key reasons why many have negative comments coming through and those issues rest squarely on the individuals who stuck there unwanted heads in there, and you know who you are.

To those who derailed and road blocked him you need to hang your heads, but YOU now 'own' any negatives voiced here be it from riders, sponsors and wider CMX supporters about botched timing, cut laps, less titles, botched classes, early finishes and what ever else.

Sure the event was run, but personally I saw what was thrown at him and cant believe people felt the need to get in the way of the full potential of his event.   

Any negatives about the event simple send to Dale the ceo@MA so it wont occur again.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline BA #63

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2014, 04:12:57 pm »
no matter what you do there will always be lovers and haters i was not there but guys i spoke to said it was great  i rode the  crystal brook event and that was great so i don't see why you guys could not do it again
I am still the fastest in the pits

albrid-3

« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
Nice photos, also its nice to see the riders with period clothing, it makes a big difference.