Author Topic: 1978 cr250 kickstarter assembly spring return installation  (Read 1872 times)

Offline ghostrider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
1978 cr250 kickstarter assembly spring return installation
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »
 Is there any better diagrams around than the owners manual that give a better description of how to re assemble? My problem is the return spring position ,1 hook mounts on the casing (obvious)but the other spring hook that mounts on the pawl does not seem to hold tension (pawl moves when trying instal spring under tension)? Is there a trick to lock the shaft when tensioning the spring or is the mechanism effed. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1978 cr250 kickstarter assembly spring return installation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »

I assume this is the page from the manual you are referring too,It is pretty vague you are right, Do you have #5 on  the correct way not upside down or back to front & all parts in the correct location, From memory when you install the spring the spindle will turn a bit before hitting home,No real tricks otherwise,you need to fit the clutch cover temporarily to check if it's working properly as it will cock sideways & bind ;),Was there a problem with it or are you just reassembling after an engine rebuild? :)   

Offline ghostrider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 1978 cr250 kickstarter assembly spring return installation
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:15:21 pm »
Thanks Smed, thats it  , I had to remove the clutch cover to repair a leaking gasket and the kick spindle came off with the cover(F$%#) . I have reinserted the shaft and begin to set the spring for tension and as I nearly mount the hook onto the pawl the spindle releases loosing the tension? I have done this before (about 15 years ago) remembering it was a bit of a pig to do. I have had to walk away and calm down before I  loose it and explode :(, try again tommorrow.