Author Topic: Road racing/ride days  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Road racing/ride days
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:00:51 pm »
So was considering doing a little bit of black top riding/racing just to tick off on my list of disciplines I'm no good at  ;D as wondering where I might do that and what clubs would be worth joining/dealing with? Have no plan to get all serious, a few ride days and maybe some (very) amateur race days. Would probably be happy to have a crack at "buckets" if they're being catered for, maybe down the track an rgv to whiz around....? Any thoughts, guidance? Worth noting that I'm in vic I guess

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Road racing/ride days
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:56 am »
I did motard for 4 years in the mid 00's....some tracks where all bitumum....Husaberg 501 then a 650, then I bought a factory KTM....had a ball....cheep way out...theres plenty of 450 MXers out there and wheels for sale.....and when you crash you damage stuff all...crash a road race bike and you empty your wallet......just a thought.....BTW, motards go round corners faster than RR bikes. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:07 am »
Hi Rookie,

I haven't road raced since 97, but I might be able to help a little. 

First advice - do it!  I spent an absolute fortune over the ten years I raced, and never set the world on fire - but I loved it and there are memories there that time will never erase.  We are in the enviable position of having one of the worlds best GP tracks in our own back yard, so if you have the desire then jump on in and give it a go. 

Modern or historic?
Generally speaking, the former is faster, more expensive and more serious than the latter.  You owe it to yourself to try a modern racebike at least once in your life....

Clubs?
I used to be a member of Hartwell MCC, which had a very strong club championship in the day.  I hear that has dropped off a little, and that the Interclub series is the way to go these days.  For the Interclub series, Preston and Sandringham clubs were well regarded.  I think any of the good roadracing clubs will offer you a good range of classes from buckets upwards.

Bikes
Buckets are cheap, but I never saw the value in signing up for an opportunity to ride beyond the open road speed limit - and then choosing a bike that could barely do it.  RGV's and NSR's are a heap of fun, and pretty simple to work on, although you will need to search hard for one that isn't flogged out (watch out for exhaust powervalves on the RGVs).  If your budget can stretch to $5000-$6000 and you  are mechanically handy, 125GP bikes can be a hoot, and not too expensive to run - but that is probably my passion overwhelming my common sense here...
On the historic front, the mid-80s Yamaha RZ's are a cheap entry point that will take you as fast as you would want to go, at a budget friendly cost.  Lots of setup knowledge around for them too.  I'd probably do that.

Bike preparation
I assume you would do your own?  Needless to say, it needs to be meticulous, as the consequences of fluid leaks or a bike failure at 200kmh are a bit more serious than VMX speeds.  A good club will help introduce you to the finer points of setup, or there are some people on these boards that might be able to help you too, (myself included if your standards are appropriately relaxed...)

Riding gear
This is something you must not skimp on.  I wouldn't consider a return to` the track without budgeting at least $2000 to good riding gear.  There is the safety aspect of course, but there is also the functionality / comfort factor (e.g. helmets with visors that don't seal, leathers that don't fit, clumsy boots that have a poor feel for the pegs)

Riding tuition
There is a guy on these boards who could teach you anything you wanted to know about road racing - I'm sure he will jump onboard this thread...

Final Word
Go for it, live the dream.  I wouldn't have traded my road racing days for anything.

Let me know if I can help

Geoff

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:15 am »
Yep, motards - forgot to mention them.  Good choice. 

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:16 am »
Brendan next time your at a csc race meeting you should talk to Des or Clive they are both into the classic road race seen and would no doubt be able to point you in the right direction. cheers Andrew
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:08:07 am by mavman4200p »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:17 am »
Hey Brendan  :-)  Huge Bird pretty much covered it, feel free to call me or msg me and I'll help you out if you like?  I am a current A grade Superbike racer, though I haven't raced for over a year & a half due to my health issues.  I am looking at dragging my GSXR out to the track again in the near future to try and get back into the groove, we can head-out together?

I suggest either a Broadford MV open practise day or Winton on a Friday, Winton would be better as they don't get so many racers out there, Broadford usually runs their practise days just before a race event, so the faster racers are there practising, that can be a bit intimidating, even for an experienced racer  ;-)

For the last couple of years I have been coaching for Champions Ride Days, they split the groups up into Novice, Medium Slow, Medium fast & Fast, even the these days can be a bit spooky for a novice due to the number of riders on the track (and the number of brainless riders).

Do you currently have a bike that you are thinking about riding?  My suggestion for a bike (if you don't already have one) is a Kawasaki ER6F, it is a twin cylinder 650, they are comfortable, cheap, reliable & handle well and have a good class to race in (Twin Sprints), if you want to take-in a low profile race day.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice and pointers guys, Big Bird thank you especially for your concise response......this gives me a bit to think about, while motard does look exiting my catalyst for wanting to try something different is to get involved with some different blokes/bikes than what im used to and learn how to become a lot better at piloting a "sports" oriented bike. My thinking behind starting in buckets (or similar) is more about the speed and lack of more importantly, most class riders ive ever had the pleasure of receiving advice from have most always said the same thing.." dont worry about speed first, work on the technique and skill, the speed will then come naturally", i just figured starting off in a slower class would help apply this theory.

The expense also scares me a bit which is why i thought i'd go in on a minimal outlay initially and see how i take to it, gear will be paramount as it should so bike outlay will be second in priority to that, better to ride a postie in a race suit than a superbike in thongs i guess!! Luckily working in the industry means i'll prob get out of gear a bit under the 2k mark you've mentioned, or use it to my advantage in another way and spend 2k but get some awesome stuff..;D Johnny i appreciate your offer and will most certainly seek some advice and guidance when i get started, maybe even a coaching day at some point. Can i hire the whole broadford circuit for myself so ad to not have to dealing with those "intimidating idiots"?!! ;D

As there is only ever a few track bikes on the market at any time does anyone know of a website or club website that people are more likely to list their bikes for sale rather than the usual ebay/gumtree/bikesales site?? Thanks for all the advice

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:44:27 pm »
www.formula-xtreme.com.au has a lot of race track bikes for sale.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Tony T

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:47 pm »
Hey Rookie, Mac Park isn't far from you has lots of ride days and club meetings.  :D
Plus it's a great track for us slow buggers cos it's quite tight and you can camp there.
I rode a Husky motard at a few meetings there years ago and had an absolute ball dicing with everything from 125 GP bikes to Beemers.
It's gotta be a cool track when you get a Yamaha factory GP rider turning up to race an SL125!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Admittedly, that was years ago, but I still love the place.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:54 pm »
As John says Winton has open practice on some Fridays,open means with cars & bikes at the same time,I remember being there one day on my roadracer & sharing the track with a HQ race car,scary shit,I took off in front just before he completed a lap,he was too slow to catch me & by the time I had done enough laps to need a rest I had not caught up to him either,so no probs,some days there would only be 6 or 8 punters there so fairly low key,It's a good fun track :),Ya dont need a racebike to start out just a stripped down roadie or crash victim fixer upper,Get Bruce to dust off the SR500 & go with you :)     

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »
Thanks Brendan, and no problem.  I was probably overhelpful because secretly I am wanting to do it again myself.  But better get my VMXer projects finished first - one thing at a time....

Your club website will have a classified section with a variety of bikes for sale.  And if you buy within the club, the expertise to run your bike remains close at hand too. 

I understand the speed thing, and wanting to start slow.  I started on a TZR250 Yamaha, which I thought was a rocket on the road.  When I got it out on a wide open racetrack, perspective changed quickly and soon it felt slow.  I remember after my first race I was riding back to the pits on the cool-down lap, one hand on the bars and smiling and giving the thumbs up to the guys I had been racing with.  I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 130kmh.  Now prior to that race I had only ever ridden at the speed limit and a little beyond, and thought that was crazy fast.  On a racetrack your perspective is very very different. 

Thus my bemusement at buckets.  On a track like Phillip Island those things must feel like they are standing still.  But don't let my opinion hold you back. 

You have said you work in the industry - is there anyone you might be able to borrow a bike from for a couple of test laps at a ride day or something?

Cheers,

Geoff 

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:33 pm »
Now that looks awesome Tony!! might get myself there someday :)  At what point does one need to have a bike in race glass?? Could you take any std trim road bike to a practice day or ride day? Or do you have to have one "track bike" guise anytime you hit the black top? :-\

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 08:07:38 am »
You don't need a track bike but they will make you take the mirrors off and tape up any lights, they will scrutineer your bike for the normal things like tyres and brakes and so on, but it is great fun, I'm just about to go back to road racing after a 18 year lay off, can't wait should be fun....
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:44:45 am »
So was considering doing a little bit of black top riding/racing just to tick off on my list of disciplines I'm no good at  ;D as wondering where I might do that and what clubs would be worth joining/dealing with? Have no plan to get all serious, a few ride days and maybe some (very) amateur race days. Would probably be happy to have a crack at "buckets" if they're being catered for, maybe down the track an rgv to whiz around....? Any thoughts, guidance? Worth noting that I'm in vic I guess

Cheers, Brendan

Yeah do it.
Buckets are a good start you actualy learn a lot about riding and tuning racing is close and with 160-170ks top speed, you get time to think about tactics.
GP 125 like buckets but faster.
Those are good good choices if your a small staute.

Period racing with a NSR/RGV in either P6 or pre 95 will be a blast. You can always go for a 600 or gixxer 750 if you like the diesels. If you have deep pockets an unlimited P5 will set you back $100k but have nearly 200hp at the wheel.
If you have the money a GP250 is the ultimate, these bikes will very quickly show you just how much your riding can improve, light, powerful, handle unreal and stop quickly.
If you have a wheelbarrow full of cash to spend there is the ex-Nicky Diles Aprilia RSW125 for sale or a Ben Reid's RSW 250 which even the 125 will make a good TZ/RS 250 feel like a clapped out DT125. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:51:43 pm »
......If you have deep pockets an unlimited P5 will set you back $100k but have nearly 200hp at the wheel.....

$100K?  :o
you could probably build 5 of my GS1000S's for that, you can build a race ready GSX1100 based bike for well under $10K, or build a 'full race' version for around $30K...
$45K would buy for a hand built Birrell spec Katana, but even these do not have 200hp at the wheel, 175hp is closer to the mark.
or if you really wanted to impress (or over compensate  ;))  then a race ready Harris replica XR69 will cost you $60K..