Author Topic: New guy from Wollongong  (Read 14188 times)

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
New guy from Wollongong
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »
Hi all just signed up and I will be getting my hands on a Yamaha 1980 yz465 in the next couple of weeks and will be doing a complete rebuild on it trying to get it to look good.
Has anyone built one on here and is there anything I should be carefully of or should pay more attention to?.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
Re: New guy from Wollongong
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:07:13 pm »
Hey Reece
"Ted" has a real nice 465

If you PM him I'm sure he will send you some pics
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:37 pm »
Ok thanks I'll try and find him.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:31 pm »
welcome aboard from Unzud
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »
Welcome aboard. 
The G frames have a habit of rusting and then breaking at the front downtube - moisture collects at the bottom of the gusset.
RHS side covers are a PITA to get, but there are functional aftermarket ones available.

Other than that, they are pretty well bomb-proof bikes. Updating the shock to modern internals works wonders if you're building a race bike.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:28:59 am »
Just wondering Nathan what parts do I need to do as I am looking at doing most of build myself.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:34:19 am »
Depends on how bad it is now!  ;D

They're pretty straight-forward bikes - most bits are easy to get, there's lot's of interchangability with other Yamaha models, and they were pretty robust in the first place.

What are you planning on doing with the bike once it is finished? That makes a big difference to your plan of attack.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:37:17 am »
Would like to start racing it or maybe rebuild and sell not 100% yet but leaning towards racing it.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:49 am »
Depending on the condition but if you intend to restore it ( properly ) and sell, you will do your arse big time.

If you want to turn it into a weapon and race it ( keep it ) I can give you contacts and sites to do this. It won't be cheap ( 5-10 K ) irrespective of what others will tell you but in my opinion you will have a bike that will be at the top of the pile in Evo
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:13 am »
That would be great ted if you could pass some info on.
Here's a picture I have of it but haven't seen it yet hopefully in a week or two.
Engine has been rebuilt so not to bad of a start hopefully got it for a good price.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:27 am »
How long ago was the engine rebuilt? By owner or others?

Judging by the overall condition of the bike I would totally discount the chances of the engine being rebuilt. I bought one in similar condition for $500. I only kept the frame, motor ( cases ) hubs,electrics,seat base,lower triple clamp and stem,forks, shock,swingarm.All of which had to be fully rebuilt, painted

As mine was a H model it came with a Twin Leading Shoe front brake , which you will need if you want it to stop.

Don't be put off with the task of restoring it. If done properly you will have a super competitive bike and also a very reliable one. Second to none in my opinion.

Let me know if you are going to restore it properly and I will PM my contacts and approx prices. You then simply take out the labour charges that you can do yourself.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:37:28 am »
I will be restoring it back to factory as I like that look so if you could send contacts and any other info would be great.

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:12:03 am »
Is there any other front double leading brake that fit my model as I have been looking and expense so seeing if there's an cheaper one but if not I'll have to get one.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:32 am »
The right TLS front brake is found on YZ250H, YZ465, and YZ125L. They're expensive for a reason... although they come up at semi-sensible prices fairly regularly.

Ted does his bikes to a very high standard. If you're prepared to compromise on finish, then you can build a very good race bike for less.

The main things to do are:
get a good idea of what the bike needs;
set your goals, and;
do the maths before starting.

There are very, very few resto disaster stories that don't break at least one of those rules.;)

Regardless, it is VERY hard to make money by restoring bikes. Most times you can do that, is because you happened to have the parts in the shed and/or you got the base bike for a steal.
If you got the bike for a steal, then the easiest way to maximise your profit is to take it home, wash it and re-advertise it.

If making a profit is your motivation, forget messing around with old dirt bikes - you've gotta be in it for the love of it!

Offline reece

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »
I will be keeping it as just been watching videos on YouTube and my mind is made up.