Author Topic: Wanted Ohlins YZ360 Kit / Barrell (Noleen in USA)  (Read 24118 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Ohlins YZ360 Kit / Barrell (Noleen in USA)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
From my conversations with Peter (billet yz) regarding the 360 yz I get the impression he loves it, don't think his wr500 has seen much dirt since he's had the yz up and running.
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
Why not just get a KTM 360/380  with all the hard work done for you?
YAMAHA Dealer with a new YZ250 2 smoke and a rider capable of using open class 2 stroke power
Homage to Peter Doyle and Sharky at Broadford.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
The short stroke/big bore combination will surely limit it's potential compared to a properly designed motor, but you'd think that it would still be able to out-perform a 250 if the rest of it was right.
The combination doesn't work, they don't produce any more power than a 250 and don't rev. You're very busy on the gear lever because they don't pull for long in each gear.
I had a $10,000 360 Mugen which is the same setup, I tried everything to make it work..different compression ratios, different port heights, different carby's and ended up selling it because my 79 cr250 was faster and pulled longer in each gear.
There isn't a short stroke big bore engine around that does work..

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
From my conversations with Peter (billet yz) regarding the 360 yz I get the impression he loves it, don't think his wr500 has seen much dirt since he's had the yz up and running.
No doubt he does like it, it's rare and cool and would be fun to ride compared to a WR500 dinosaur but in a mx race against 89 CR & KX500's... good luck!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:22 AM »
YAMAHA Dealer with a new YZ250 2 smoke and a rider capable of using open class 2 stroke power

Cast up some covers with Yamaha on them  ;) You should ring me about this literaly anything is possible today.

The short stroke/big bore combination will surely limit it's potential compared to a properly designed motor, but you'd think that it would still be able to out-perform a 250 if the rest of it was right.
The combination doesn't work, they don't produce any more power than a 250 and don't rev. You're very busy on the gear lever because they don't pull for long in each gear.
I had a $10,000 360 Mugen which is the same setup, I tried everything to make it work..different compression ratios, different port heights, different carby's and ended up selling it because my 79 cr250 was faster and pulled longer in each gear.
Pipe, ignition and head shape is where the answer is.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »
Call in next time your driving past
I was going to call you once I had a barrell

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »

Cast up some covers with Yamaha on them  ;) You should ring me about this literaly anything is possible today.

Pipe, ignition and head shape is where the answer is.
I still don't believe it will work, bore and stroke is all wrong. A KTM 250/300 has an 8mm longer stroke by comparison..

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »
Johnny it will work when I stroke long rod and balance the crank
Lozza has programmable ignitions that work
Doesn't need to rev if it's pulling your arms out
250cc 2 strokes have to be revved
400cc 2 strokes are just right

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
Yeah SON I agree it will be much better with a longer stroke crank..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
Apart from the weight of the piston, what stops a 360 from revving as hard as a 250 with the same stroke?

The old Husky 360GPs were short stroke - they certainly didn't have a problem with not revving hard enough.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:36:14 AM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Apart from the weight of the piston, what stops a 360 from revving as hard as a 250 with the same stroke?
The bigger volume it has to compress. A longer stroke also has more leverage to turn the crank easier.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
in terms of what works & what doesn't--the old SC500 is way oversquare with a stroke from the 360 of 70mm & bore of [not sure without looking] 90mm or something, which is 10mm over the 80mm 360 it was stretched out from--plus a 4 speed box come to think of it. Rode one occasionally in big flat or rolling grassy miniature tt's we use to call them & on the day [my good day haha] was quicker than my mates RN400. In fact our Hugh Anderson beat Ivan Miller for the nz mx champs back then on the SC & Ivan on the RN--was a great day that.
What's the stroke of the "89 250 your stretching to 360. Yams were typically 70x64 till [i think] went to 68x68 which i suspect this ["89 is] & YZ400F piston is 82mm, the only year they ran 82mm [have one in my old RT2-360.
I do have a 'way' oversquare 250 Yam that's 80x64--well--a 250 with a 360 cylinder, long story but turns on up top. Actually--actually forgot where i was now as a mate turned up on a mint original XR500 twinshock while writing this, & now [i want one]. Cheers.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
i hope people aren't getting confused between 'long rods' & 'long stroke'. I'm old [& confused most of the time] but gather long rod has something to do with piston dwelling longer at top & bottom of stroke. Lozza would be the man to explain but would a long rod plus long stroke be 'the go'.!! Thanks

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
The bigger volume it has to compress. A longer stroke also has more leverage to turn the crank easier.
Heat(or lack thereof)in the pipe limits the rpm. Not so long ago GP125/250's ran 19:1 compression and they would not rev past 11,000, untill tuners started wrapping the pipe in heat wrap. A few years later after exotic leaded 124 octane Elf Blue Gas was banned, comp ratio's dropped heat in the pipe increased so no need to wrap the pipe any longer.

Johnny it will work when I stroke long rod and balance the crank
Lozza has programmable ignitions that work
Doesn't need to rev if it's pulling your arms out
250cc 2 strokes have to be revved
400cc 2 strokes are just right

Taking about a proper cylinder not the rubbish that Japan Inc has been serving up recently. A friend in NZ has prototyped a 350cc disc valve engine with modern features like a cassette gearbox and water cooled cases. Should be a right weapon.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
in terms of what works & what doesn't--the old SC500 is way oversquare with a stroke from the 360 of 70mm & bore of [not sure without looking] 90mm or something, which is 10mm over the 80mm 360 it was stretched out from--plus a 4 speed box come to think of it. Rode one occasionally in big flat or rolling grassy miniature tt's we use to call them & on the day [my good day haha] was quicker than my mates RN400. In fact our Hugh Anderson beat Ivan Miller for the nz mx champs back then on the SC & Ivan on the RN--was a great day that.
What's the stroke of the "89 250 your stretching to 360. Yams were typically 70x64 till [i think] went to 68x68 which i suspect this ["89 is] & YZ400F piston is 82mm, the only year they ran 82mm [have one in my old RT2-360.
I do have a 'way' oversquare 250 Yam that's 80x64--well--a 250 with a 360 cylinder, long story but turns on up top. Actually--actually forgot where i was now as a mate turned up on a mint original XR500 twinshock while writing this, & now [i want one]. Cheers.
Pleased you have told this story as I have an ex Ivan Miller RN