Author Topic: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled  (Read 44991 times)

Simo63

Re: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:30 pm »
So, as much as I admire the Johnny O's rabid enthusiasm and ability to get things moving, I think the move to an AASA event at Winton is destined to fail which is detrimental to the sport and unfair on John for the work that he'd no doubt put into it. I personally think the best option is to do whatever needs to be done to use the main track at Canberra whether it be convincing the ACT club to run it or what I think is a better option, another club hiring the track and working in with MA over a reduced licence fee....seeing that they've kept a portion of the ACT fee.

I am wary about wading too far into this debate as I am conscious of the efforts of those involved (and differing opinions) but it is with absolutely all due respect for what Johnny O is trying to achieve for us, not him, but for us, I have to agree with Firko on this point.  I want to see the Classic Champs go ahead but really only as an official MA sanctioned event.  That is why, a few pages back, I supported the option of running the event on the existing Canberra track.  If we can get the club to agree to that approach, surely it would be beneficial to all involved?  And surely then Johnny O could ride in the event instead of organise it and miss out on all the fun  :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2013, 02:09:05 pm »
There are Pro’s and Con’s with any decision but trying to get the ACT club to still run the event is clutching at straws.
Don’t you think that if they were really that interested in running these nationals they would have turned to ‘plan B’ by themselves??
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »
Hey I don't want to step on anyone's toes, if another club is interested in running something please let me know and I'll stop what I am doing.

I don't think anything could be worked-out with regards running an MA sanctioned event at Winton, sure V8's might not be running under AASA but we can't compare V8's to classic mx.

With regards the WA guys coming over, if they are all booked to come, and are happy to come even if the event is not an MA Championship, I don't see any issues?

Sure thing call it a 'National', if there isn't an Australian Championship run in 2013 then this will be looked back on it as it I think.

There is not much time left of this year for any club or MA to make something happen, sure hope someone can prove me wrong.  I appreciate Winton MX Club, AASA & Winton Motor Raceway agreeing to do something with no notice.

I agree that having two series running at the same time splits the rider fields and is not good for the sport, just as the Australian Superbike Championships do, but having a one-off National event will not be splitting anything, we just get to have a fun event with interstate riders that we wouldn't have been able to have.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Simo63

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »
There are Pro’s and Con’s with any decision but trying to get the ACT club to still run the event is clutching at straws.
Don’t you think that if they were really that interested in running these nationals they would have turned to ‘plan B’ by themselves??

Good point Geoff, but with their initial enthusiasm, I wonder if they even considered it?  I haven't seen anything from the ACT club yet, is it worth a call?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2013, 02:14:03 pm »
or what I think is a better option, another club hiring the track and working in with MA over a reduced licence fee....seeing that they've kept a portion of the ACT fee. 
As I wrote earlier.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Simo63

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »
Hey I don't want to step on anyone's toes, if another club is interested in running something please let me know and I'll stop what I am doing.

I don't think anything could be worked-out with regards running an MA sanctioned event at Winton, sure V8's might not be running under AASA but we can't compare V8's to classic mx.

With regards the WA guys coming over, if they are all booked to come, and are happy to come even if the event is not an MA Championship, I don't see any issues?

Sure thing call it a 'National', if there isn't an Australian Championship run in 2013 then this will be looked back on it as it I think.

There is not much time left of this year for any club or MA to make something happen, sure hope someone can prove me wrong.  I appreciate Winton MX Club, AASA & Winton Motor Raceway agreeing to do something with no notice.

I agree that having two series running at the same time splits the rider fields and is not good for the sport, just as the Australian Superbike Championships do, but having a one-off National event will not be splitting anything, we just get to have a fun event with interstate riders that we wouldn't have been able to have.

John I am certain that most of us can see you are only trying to help our sport.  From what I have seen of your posts and your involvement, that has always been the case.  Full credit to you for that.

In the interests of full disclosure and not doing anything behind anyones back, here's what I have done this afternoon:

1. Called a member of the ACT MCC and discussed the issues.  An interesting conversation but not one that will be repeated here.  I'm a nobody in relation to this matter (worse .. I'm a bloody Queenslander but ex Vic so not all bad  :))  He told me what he thought were the issues.  I asked if they had considered swapping to the modern track and making some changes.  He thought this would be achievable and would speak with his club President about that option.

2. I then called Matt Kearsley from MA (the right person to talk to apparently) and asked him if he thought that would be okay to do.  Matt was very helpful and said he would call the ACTMCC club president and see if that was a viable option.

Early days but after speaking with these two parties, both of which seem to want the event to go ahead and seem to want to help, I have got my hopes up that we might yet meet in Sunny Canberra.

Anyway, I have to tear off now to another meeting but I hope this is okay with you Johnny O. Like I said, full respect for what you are doing but I just had to try something.

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:35:27 pm by Simo63 »

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »
That's cool, thanks.  I guess I'll put AASA & Winton Club on the back-burner and we'll see if something can be organized between MA & the ACT club, I hope they can work something out.

The guys at AASA & Winton have been fantastic, I might look at doing something with them in the future, that way we all get to see what sort of show they can put on and we can gain confidence in them.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »
As suggested earlier John maybe Mr VMX might be an option. Itwould be great to see it continue.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
Can someone enlighten me on the Mr VMX event ... classes, time of year, one or two days?  I'll discuss it with the guys at Winton and make it happen  :-)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:41 pm »
I love to see MR VMX event go ahead this year. IMO a perfect event for John to test Winton with. Has a degree of prestige and it can be marketed.
If such a event was held I would do what I can to get bums at the start line. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »
Can someone enlighten me on the Mr VMX event ... classes, time of year, one or two days?  I'll discuss it with the guys at Winton and make it happen  :-)

There's threads from the previous two years, but in a nutshell:
Pre-75,
Pre-80,
Pre-85,
Pre-90.
No riders under 30, races are all-age-in, but two age groups are scored seperately based on the median age of the riders.
Four races, back-to-back with minimal time between the two.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2013, 09:10:54 pm »

Pre-75,
Pre-80,
Pre-85,
Pre-90.
No riders under 30, races are all-age-in, but two age groups are scored seperately based on the median age of the riders.
Either pre 80 was changed to evo or evo was also included as another class.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »

Pre-75,
Pre-80,
Pre-85,
Pre-90.
Either pre 80 was changed to evo or evo was also included as another class.

Gee just what we need a meeting with different classes, what wrong with

Pre 75
Pre 78
Evo
Pre 85
Pre 90

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Montynut

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:16 pm »
First Mr VMX in 2011 was Pre75, Pre80, Pre85 & Pre90

2012 was Pre75, Pre80, EVO Pre85 & Pre90. The reason for the addition of EVO was that in 2011 the Pre85 class was over subscribed.

No class was near full grids in 2012. The meeting has merit and is a great event. The 2012 entry was lower than 2011.

The reason for the 'odd' classes was to try and give a different spin on the classes with traditionally large entries classes. That is not a judgement that it was good or bad just the thinking behind it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:52:47 pm by Montynut »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:23 am »

First Mr VMX in 2011 was Pre75, Pre80, Pre85 & Pre90

UNQUOTE

Aren't we getting away from the CVMX by going up to pre90 again? And surely there must be an inclusion for pre65 and pre70. Alot of our elder statesman will be turned away if these two classes are not included.

Johhny O has put in alot of effort to get something viable happening and at the 11th hour he gets shot down in flames because some here think it necessary to have MA involved just to have a "sanctioned" title. Who gives a toss if your name appears in a book of MA's or not? As has been stated, all the brethren will know who is champion. And with the miracle of the internet, the results will be on line for the rest of time. It will be part of VMX's history forever more.

The way I see it, MA has done very little, if anything, to work on a way to get the show happening. ACTMCC has done nothing to offer an alternative either, well, without prodding from Simo. Without trying to lay blame on anyone, they dropped the ball the first time.

I'm no expert when it comes to the legalities of running a so called "black event", but surely we as a stand alone sport (VMX) can chose to ride where we like. As long as there is some type of licencing and insurance in place, everybody should be happy. I can't see MA threatening to take away existing licences. Who would be left to ride at any of their sanctioned events if they started revoking licences?

The Classic Scramble Club has offered to help (as far as Dave#6 is concerned) and with Ross Martin now resigned from MA, his help would be invaluable. He has helped run races all over the world and should pretty much know the ins and outs of what is required.

We don't have much time left to get this organised and as far as I see it, Winton MCC was good to go. There were no "if's or maybe's, Johnny O just needed some help to dot the I's and cross the T's.

Now we are back to square one and left uncertain as to whether or not ATCMCC and MA can get their collective act together in time.

I'm with Johnny O......
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.