Author Topic: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled  (Read 45007 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
Lake Glenbawn
There is nothing close for accommodation and you have water problem, It's a bit like why I never thought Coptom dam near Inverell would work as well, 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:03 pm »
What about Junee. Not far off the Hume, plenty of hotels and accommodation.

Once again, I rode the Amcross there and they had an awesome undulating grass track on the side of a hill.

Just thinking out aloud....

I'd be willing to help out any way I can from here in Vic with correspondence or the like.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 12:24:02 pm »
Oberon is no more. A real shame because it was a fantastic natural terrain motocross track and would have been an awesome venue for Pre '78's.

Firko's right Clarence is a totally unsuitable due to the serious lack of water and track layout. BTW try and hire it today and you'll suddenly think MA's fees are cheap in comparison  ::)

Lake Glenbawn is currently in a million pieces as it undergoes a complete rebuild.

Which leaves us with???

Canberra - On the Motocross track. Already in place. People who have booked transport/accommodation etc are already going there and it can be easily modified to suit vintage bikes. Just need to get KTM555 on the bobcat  ;D The question mark is whether the motocross side of ACTMCC is interested in bailing out the Nats or possibly can another club be found to run the event there?

Other possibilities include and this includes some long shots;

Mt Kembla - Great Track possibly a bit too modern for the old bikes

Lakes - Great Track and can be used successfully for vintage bikes as HEAVEN has proved numerous times. Also has a club that can get the job done and is as keen as anyone to promote national events at their track.

Appin - National level motocross track that is well and truly doable for Pre '78's

Picton - Can only be used a couple of times a year and is probably not an option but it would be so great to ride

Mt Lambie - Don't even know if it still able to be used. But a great track and close to Lithgow for accom etc.

Panorama - I reckon this would be a good track to look at too and is right in Bathurst. Not sure if there are taxis racing there at this time of year though!

Anyway just some thoughts.

I am of course willing to assist any way I can to get the Nats going again.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
Mt Panorama is a great, forgotten venue but the last time I took a look at it was pretty much washed away and neglected. A pre 75 meeting was held there in around 1992 and even though it was pretty challenging it was a success. We (Penrith club) tried to get MacArthur club to rent us Appin for a meeting back in the 90's but ran into (now long forgotten) obstacles. It's a great track and was recently used for a round of the Aussie MX championships (I think).

I don't think Mt Lambie exists any more, Mt Kembla  has been altered too much from when it was used for VMX in the 90's, The Lakes would be great but do you think they're over the Post Classic shemozzle? Picton is a red tape nightmare to the point that Heffo had to even placate the local churches by not starting racing until they'd finished their services.

This whole shitfight can be alleviated if the Canberra Nats moved over to the other 'modern' track. As Shaun and others have previously said, it's a great track that can easily be modified to be a little kinder to limited suspension bikes. Is it worth approaching the club to ask if that option is within their realm of possibilities?
.........Any more?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:49:16 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »
Forget about Lakes you can't camp there. And if you think camping is not an issue, remember Lakes was cancelled due to lack of interest/entries and we just had 180 riders at the Conondale Classic and EVERYBODY camped there. It is a definate factor in getting people to come!!

Simo63

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 01:37:00 pm »
Canberra - On the Motocross track. Already in place. People who have booked transport/accommodation etc are already going there and it can be easily modified to suit vintage bikes. Just need to get KTM555 on the bobcat  ;D The question mark is whether the motocross side of ACTMCC is interested in bailing out the Nats or possibly can another club be found to run the event there?
Cheers
Shaun

I like this idea and it might be achievable in the short time left?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:03 pm »
The main track at Canberra is the obvious answer.

There's a lot of dirt at the venue, that could be used to soften the upramps of the bigger jumps, without wrecking the track for the club - just put the dirt down, wear it in, then take it away again after the CMXNs. You could even put plastic down on the existing upramps I you thought it was worthwhile.

Is Buladelah off people's lists for a reason?

The Cooma, Young, Holbrook, Leeton and Wagga clubs all have land available for grasstrack MX - could be an option!?
Cooma's modern MX track is ugly - a much less appealing option than the main track at Canberra.
Don't know off the top of my head if the other clubs have established MX tracks.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »
I wondering if Broadford would be an option, with all the facilities there, down in Mexican country.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »
Broadford with camping?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
They camp there for HBBB

They also held the nats there a few years ago
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:51:42 pm by Viper79 »
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »
Broadford with camping?
Broadford is full of camps  ;) Oh you mean somewhere too erect a tent 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:46 pm »
Still needs a host club.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2013, 04:45:02 pm »
I understand what you mean, the thing about Broadford is it's already set up.  I don't know the cost of use etc, but at least half the work is done , so to speak.  It was just a thought
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:07 pm »
Not really.. the Nats that were held there previously... had a "host club".. but really Drakie was doing the leg work... perhaps MA could pitch in and help out in this hour..??

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2013, 05:52:41 pm »
Not really.. the Nats that were held there previously... had a "host club".. but really Drakie was doing the leg work... perhaps MA could pitch in and help out in this hour..??

I wondering if that is just a pie in the sky thought and MA will just say, stiff bickies, not our problem, no money in it for us
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250