Author Topic: RIP JJ  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RIP JJ
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:27 am »
I clearly remember my first car accident, ran up the back of a cab while perving at the good sort at the bus stop and listening to
"After Midnight"

R.I.P. JJ
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:43 am »
Firko, don't tell me you don't know half the words to ABBA songs and didn't want to pork the 2 chicks? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:28 am »
Firko, don't tell me you don't know half the words to ABBA songs and didn't want to pork the 2 chicks 
Sadly you're right Joan,AM radio saturation drilled that shit into all of our subconscious. My old Dad was dying of cancer in 1976 but the one thing that sparked him in his final weeks was playing the ABBA album over and over on the little cassette player next to his bed. He, like me was a Freida guy :)

I went to see JJ Cale play at the Roxy in North Hollywood back in 1976 or 77 but when I got there they'd cancelled the gig for some reason, never disclosed. That's as close as I ever got to seeing the great man. Here's a very cool live gig...soooo laid back.           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q16zsctSWQ 
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »
There was a story I heard many years ago about Cales concerts and he hints that it might be true in the link I posted. Apparently, early in his career, he was just an anonymous guy somewhere in the (big) band. He didn't stand at the front of the stage nor were the stage lights on him. He was just there, somewhere, in the band.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:54:12 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »
  There was a story I heard many years ago about Cales concerts and he hints that it might be true in the link I posted. Apparently, early in his career, he was just an anonymous guy somewhere in the (big) band. He didn't stand at the front of the stage nor were the stage lights on him. He was just there, somewhere, in the band 
Check my You Tube concert link too.....it looks like he's just an anonymous member of the band.

I heard on the radio this afternoon that JJ Cale was many of the gun guitarists favourite gun guitarist. Eric Clapton worshipped him as a player and friend while Duane Allman was lining up to do an album with him but was killed before it got past the jamming stage. Butch Trucks reckons he was the best kept secret in rock guitar history and Mark Knopfler is quoted as saying that JJ Cale was his greatest influence as a quick listen to 'Sultans of Swing' would testify. Neil Young once said "of all the players I ever heard, it's got to be Hendrix and JJ Cale who are the best electric guitar players". Unlike many of his contemporaries, JJ wasn't exactly broke when he died suddenly of a heart attack, living in laid back comfort in upmarket Ja Jolla, California.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:32:24 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »
momma don't allow no reefer smoking round here, rip 
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!