Author Topic: Decision Time on Bikes  (Read 16057 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Decision Time on Bikes
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 10:39:57 am »
I don't believe a bloke can have too much "stuff" in the shed. Like you Firko, my family was very minimalist. I didn't inherit those values! It's great to always have "the next project" waiting. For a while there, I did indeed have bikes in the house. They were the restored "keepers" that I didn't want schwarf and dust all over so the house was the obvious choice. The hallway looked excellent with 74, 76 and 79 Elsinores and my beloved B50 adorning it. There were 3 mini XR's in the spare room. Now the house is empty of bikes, bar one XR, as I've slowly made a dent in the resto's and most have gone to new homes. They ended up being too good to ride....The 79 elsinore and B50 are now racers living in the shed and the others are long gone. There's still a few projects waiting in the shed. As a matter of fact, I've just started on the B44 after painting the frame and collecting all the parts well over 2 years ago. I assembled the wheels yesterday. It took just as long to clean them up to how they were when I first started 2 plus years ago as it did to reassemble them! Then there's the 2 Bedford vans waiting patiently to be transformed into 1 race bike transporter. Lucky I decided to move the Statesman project on. It was all getting a bit overwhelming every time I looked at them. What am I doing here, I need to be in the cave with tools in hand  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »
Yes Firko, i hoard 'Reading Glasses' like they're going out of fashion. When my parents were alive, dad had cheapy reading glasses everywhere---now i have $2 shop glasses in ever increasing strength spread from here to the farm to the car to the shed etc. Still prefer mums old granny glasses for close up stuff & arc welding [in the helmet of course]. Plus 27 bikes--but i Don't hoard bikes--'do i'!! Cheers. ps just counted 5 cars but only two legal ones. 

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »
Latest Updates:

1.   '88 Honda CR250 (SOLD)
2.   '83 Honda CR480 (50/50)
3.   '81 Can-Am MX-6b 250 (Listed for sale locally)
4.   '79 KX250 spare (SOLD)
5.   '79 KX250 racer (Fixing up for sale now)
6.   '78 Husky 250CR (50/50)
7.   '76 Husky 360CR project (Given away)
8.   '75 KTM 250MX (Getting ready to sell)
9.   '74 Montesa VR (SOLD)
10. '74 Ossa Phantom (SOLD)
11. '74 Suzuki TM100 (Fixing up for sale now)
12. '71 Yamaha RT1 (Selling after racing it a bit first?)

I didn't realize until I stuck the lists together that by next Spring it would be a dozen bikes.  What a difference the past 5 months have made in life's priorities.  After listing the Can-Am MX-6 (my favorite racer) for sale I realized there is a good chance I may never race Vintage MX again.  The thought of going off somewhere by myself to race and possibly never coming back is looming large.  It used to be my little weekend escape (like a fishing or hunting trip), but now getting away from my family isn't as an exciting proposition as it once was.  Maybe that's a good thing.
 ;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:10 am »
Red,I guess most of us have done or will reach that point at some stage...whatever is right for you is the right thing to do ;)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 09:55:23 am »

EXACTLY as above, whatever makes YOU and your FAMILY comfortable is what really counts Mr Red, if it makes you smile and your family is ok with it, DO IT MATE!  I know i am, a year ago, came across an RM465 good clean bike, needs some love, bought it, now whilst picking it up the seller, a guy i now consider a friend, showed MY WIFE a very very original and 9 out of 10 RM500, my Wife insisted i buy that one too, she now has me chasing a MC490 Maico, she says life is too short and that we should do it NOW! She is currently having Cancer treatment but her attitude is the same as always, LIVE it up, doesnt mean live it "large" or expensively, just ENJOY the short time wall have on this planet, IF IT MAKES YOU SMILE DO IT!   Its about time you come visit our great land too?

all the best to you and yours,
Kt

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:03 am »
Jay, I can understand your dilemma. After last year twice shaking hands with the ICU unit Nurse Ratchet, seven separate stays in four different hospitals and 3 months with a cholestomy bag hooked up to my dick I thought it was all over, red rover. I didn't see any future for me in the sport I loved, in fact I didn't see myself having much more time on Planet Earth. Then I slowly got a bit better and then eventually a lot better and along with my increased health came a renewed interest in my old bikes. I'm still not 100% but my lifestyle is almost back to normal, I'm building new bikes and now understand and accept that I probably won't race motocross again....and I'm cool with it. The plan now is to continue to get better, lose another 25 kg and start up a new career as a pit boss/team owner, offering my bikes to friends and young guys so they can experience vintage racing. I've not hung the helmet up all together though, I've figured (correctly) that Vintage Dirt Track is a lot easier on old bones so I'm assembling a little stash of dirt trackers to keep me racing.

That heart attack frightened the shit out of you mate, it's a totally normal reaction. I've never met you but I've come to understand that you really have a passion for old bikes so before you sell up all of your stash and revel in the empty garage and wonder what you ever did with your time before old bikes, hold on to the few bikes that ring your bells, go through the rehabilitation phase and see how you feel on the other end. The bikes can be a great tool in the 'getting well' process as I've discovered. They offer you a goal to get well and give you something to concentrate on instead of the worry of being sick.
Its about time you come visit our great land too?
Yep....You've got mates down here so why not consider a trip down here once you're feeling a bit better........mi casa su casa ;D. Classic Dirt's a good place to start or a road trip to Port Augusta for the Nats.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:25:24 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »
The thought of going off somewhere by myself to race and possibly never coming back is looming large.  It used to be my little weekend escape (like a fishing or hunting trip), but now getting away from my family isn't as an exciting proposition as it once was.  Maybe that's a good thing.

Death passed our door a lot in September and I've come to the big realisation that its you that's dead, not your family, not your friends, nor your mates and everything else you leave when your gone.
So don't sit around moping and sad, worry about spending extra time here or there,just get right in and just do it for yourself  :P  :)  8)
ps good movie the "Bucket List" 
Best is in the West !!

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »

What Firko said!  But i reckon the Conondale Classic is a better bet, at least you can be sure that will actually be happening!!! 

All the rest of Firkos post (too graphical parts aside) is spot on!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
Jay, don't sell all your bikes, your 'factory' rider's coming over and needs a good bike with team support  ;-)  Plus if you come here I have a bike and a track for you to ride on as much as you like.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:48 pm »
Thanks fellas!  :) 

I told my wife once that when I turned 50 I wanted to go to Australia, but that passed me by.  What the heck maybe I will come down and play with the spiders, snakes, crocs, great whites, jelly fish and VMX bikes.
 ;)

John,

I'm not selling all of them (look at the large list in my signature line).  I'm still looking forward to being the Vintage MX version of Mitch Payton, it's just that I may not be joining you out on the track.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:50:53 pm by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »
Red do I have to come over there and kick your butt . Like a lot of others here Ive had the hand shake with the Reaper and spat in his eye . After my heart attack and quad bypass (full port and polish of which a few members said they could have done instead of going to hospital ) I couldn't ride for a while but if I didn't have my stash of junk or something to live for I would have possibly given up . Tinkering in the shed saved me man, now 7 years later Im back a bit slower (its always in the back of your mind ) just remember he who dies with the most stuff wins . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
All of the above Red man. I'm a paramedic and I see em come and see em go all the time. Big lesson for me is your a long time dead. Their going take me out kicking and screaming. J

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 07:22:30 pm »
Addition  to my last post when I go you can all fight over my stash just pay my partner a fair price , its my super . ps I intend to out live most of you lot so I can increase my hoard with all of the treasures you lot will leave behind . lol Iain  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Jay on a great transaction of money for a very good bike. I got a fantastic deal!
Don't hesitate as he is a top bloke and eager to please.
Cheers mate.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 01:15:16 am »
Brad,

You make me sound like a Filipino Bar-Girl.  ;D

Great working with you too!  I posted in another thread, but I might have an extra Phantom tank, if you need it.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA