Author Topic: What do you think is the motor used in most racing applications?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think is the motor used in most racing applications?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
BSA Gold Star must have been used at some stage in every discipline...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:55:44 am »
The Early RM 125 a-b and c' Motors were very popular in sliders and go karts for a while.

it was interesting as Suzuki base all their parts on frame number sequences.

So all these guys with early RM motors in sliders etc would go into a Suzuki dealer and go "i need a 1st o/s for an 80 rm 125"

"or was it a 81?? ...could be a 79?"

Whats the frame no??

3 piston kits later... the right one would turn up at great expense to the poor bugger

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »
To quote Firko " It's a horses for courses thing but to me the mark of a good engine is one that can be adapted to perform any number of differing tasks with reliability and ease of maintenance"." versatility, and that's what I think makes a great engine " regarding the DT250 Yamaha, That is exactly my reasoning's for selecting the Triumph Unit (and pre unit) 650 and the Honda  K/F series CB750 Fours.

Is your selection versatile ? ie. Motocross/scrambles, enduro, trials ,trail rides, road racing, speedway ,long track ,short circuit, AMA flat track, ice speedway , rallying, hill climbs, drag racing etc etc
Reliable ? or does it need a fleet of factory technicians to rebuild it after ...every...outing.
Can you preform the basic maintenance it needs ?

Maybe add these items to your thought trains.
Could you race bog stock as you received it from the shop or did you have waste lots of time and money to try to make it work for you?
How was the power delivery and the handling ? ( to be fair think relative to the era ) . Cheers Tim754

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.