Author Topic: Done...........but won't run... :(  (Read 8042 times)

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Done...........but won't run... :(
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 08:21:27 pm »
Yep.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:43 pm »
Correct diameter fuel line? Is enough volume of fuel getting thru.? J

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »
I think so, I've taken off the hose at the carb, and it flows quite good. Anyway, if it didn't get fuel to the carb I would think it would at least rev for a few seconds, and not quit so fast. I've ridden it for a few minutes on 1/4 throttle no problem.

About the floatlevel, the Main jet sticks quite a lot further down than the pilot, wich it obviously runs on.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:12 pm »
Paul is the Maico guru on here but he hasn't responded yet. Perhaps send him PM he may be able to help. J

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
sounds ignition, like not advancing in particular, especially if the pipe just about went red after a short slow revving run. Put a white paint mark [i use white 'twink' correction fluid] twink the rotor across to the case or something stationary at say 2mm before tdc then strobe it to see what it's really doing, also make sure it hasn't sheared off the key locating the rotor [or flywheel] not familiar with their system but just food for thought. Had something similar more than once on the old TT250 Yams, unrelated system i know but used to stuff the cdi box & stay fully retarded [no misfire] just barely pull itself along & glow the header 'red' in the dark. Wouldn't [couldn't] rev but choke sort of helped to get the revs up a bit. Sorry--digressing again. Carry on & good luck.

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:59 pm »
Is/if the motoplat original, sound like breakdown under revs. Put a PVL on if you have a mate with one handy, set at 2.3 btdc. Also clutch cable cable tied off wrong but looks good resto. Should of also mentioned that Coil should be earthed correctly and bare metal to frame. Maicos renowned for not running is not earthed correctly
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:55:25 pm by Turtle.Inc »
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:15 pm »
beautiful looking resto by the way. Always wanted a Maico since Geoff Ballard came out here [nz] many years ago & made us all look silly [which i'm sure he could still do if he wanted]. Cheers.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:36 pm »
Longshot, but the clip hasn't come off the needle?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
I can't really add to what my learned friends have suggested but must say that I like your Maico a lot Martin. It's refreshing to see one without the billet bling, alloy swingarm and Wheelsmith stickers. I don't mind that kind of thing but lately it's becoming viral....it's just nice to see a clean stocker for a change.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:15 pm »
It's the original motoplat, is the advancer in the secondary coil, so I could try to change just that?

The rotorkey is good.
The clip is on the needle.
Both enginecases and secondary coil has good bare ground, even used a bit of copperpaste to ensure it stays good.
Killswich is new.

Best thing would be to have a running bike and try on the carb or ignition from that to see, but it's the only one I know of in Norway...

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE GOOD HELP, really apretiate (spelling?) it!!

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:03 pm »
Thanks Firko.
It has wide footpegs, new shocks, flatslide, renthal bars etc. But it still looks quite original doesn't it?
(exept the michelin-sticers, wich after looking at the pics, will come off again)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »
Your stand looks a bit precarious on that plush soft lawn. The grass is a clue that the photo wasn't taken in Australia ;D. The only change I'd make to your bike is to paint the pipe black as I reckon unpainted pipes start to look a tad shitty after a few rides. I had an bare metal pipe on mine until I gave up on trying to keep it nice and painted it.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 10:20:51 pm »
I think it's an ignition problem even though it starts and runs up to part throttle,when the load comes on the capacitors and insulation on the coils commences to "leak or break down". Try another ignition and check the cabling to the kill button there could be a breakdown in insulation,also try it without the kill button connected up, it may be faulty even though it's new and passing enough voltage to ground to cause problems.

Good looking machine too,I think you're brave even getting on it,1/4 throttle would suit me I think!!
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:53:25 pm »
Left field!
 check your reeds?

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 11:10:55 pm »
Reeds aren't working, in fact their not even in there...  ;)