Author Topic: Bunfight starts here...  (Read 3792 times)

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Bunfight starts here...
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:54 pm »
If you're of a delicate nature and steer away from confrontation do not read this: http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/THE-MUSTREAD-STORY-THAT-HAS-EUROPE-IN-A-TIZZY-WHY-9384.aspx

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Bunfight starts here...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:08:53 pm »
How flucking depressing is that story? Giuseppe Luongo makes Bernie Ecklestone and Tony Cochrane look like charity benefactors. And people ask why we're so nostalgic for the World Championships of the sixties through to the eighties ???..........like I said, depressing.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »
Where's the next Joel Smets going to come from. Joel was a privateer when he won his first championship. He'd have no chance of affording to do the W/C now.  :'(

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
Like the top class of all sport now it business first and competition/participant second, this is just the motocross chapter of a story that pretty much makes up all sports these days. Sad but true, makes holding vmx dear and promoting it so it continues to flourish all the more important i reckon. Looks like i've finally got something in common with top class modern riders now, neither of us are ever gonna get rich by racing!! :D :D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:35:59 pm »
Like the top class of all sport now it business first and competition/participant second

Sad but true. Bugger is that the FIM subcontracted SBK, MotoGP, MX and trials and they're all suffering for competitors. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the common denominator yet the FIM is at a loss what to do  ???

Firko, I love old MX 'cause of the sound a water cooled 500 2T makes  ;D

Montynut

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:49:25 pm »
Firko, I love old MX 'cause of the sound a water cooled 500 2T makes  ;D
water cooled 500 2T's are not old ;D :P

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:46 pm »
Not much soul .  :'(

Good on the riders for making an stand at not rockin up to the grid.Thats where it hits hardest.

As a sponsor you'd have to asked plenty of questions.Its not just about the shirts, flags, banners and cool drinks.
Best is in the West !!

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:01:39 pm »
water cooled 500 2T's are not old ;D :P

Nah, but this is cool (and sounds pretty good too):

Montynut

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:45 pm »
very very true on both counts ;D

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:58 am »
Poms aint happy

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/341571-Very-intresting-reading-If-you-are-concerned-about-GP-motocross-read-on

Have they ever been ??? ??? (

sorry, I forgot ....Johnny the rugby player made them smile for a few minutes once....

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:51:57 am »
I have mixed feelings about this.   Luongo has done a lot of good in the past - anyone who remembers the fiasco that was the Dorna MXGP reign will recognise that.  However the good he has done is far overshadowed by the damage he is currently doing.   There are a long list of reasons why he has been able to do this, but Jody nailed it when he nsaid the Euro journalists were cowards.   I think first and foremost the FIM has to take the brunt of the blame though through the way they have adminstered virtually every form of 2 wheeled motorsport over the past 30-40 years.  
Anyone remember the rebel GP roadrace series mooted by Kenny Roberts and others will be able to see issues there that carried over into the MX domain.  Hell, the way the FIM screwed us with the advantage given to the 4 strokes is a prime example and if one was to talk to a number of top riders that have raced the 500s as well as the MotoGP bikes I think you would find most would love to go back to the 500s.

The fix?
Well, if I had a few million I would be starting a breakaway series because I know that in a short time it would gain acceptance.

The current BS classes would be the first thing to go.
125cc - minimum 110cc and up to 125cc
250cc - 126cc up to 250cc
500cc - 251cc up to 500cc

Entry fees would be lowered significantly.  I expect around $250/300 per round with discount if entered for the season.

Prize money would be reinstated instantly with moneys paid per moto as well as end of year prize money.  I think that a $2 Mill series sponsor should allow at least 1 mill to be paid back to the riders.  I would think $100K for the winner of each class with a minimum of another $200K to the top 20 on a sliding scale.

The series would be Europen based but would also take in 2 or 3 US rounds, plus I would punt for an Australian round and another in the pacific region.  Ideally 4 European rounds, Australia, Asia (Malaysia?), West Coast, Canada, East Coast and then back to Europe for a final 3 rounds.  By doing the travelling in one swing travelling costs could be kept to a minimum and the charter of a transport plane for that swing would make things a lot more economically feasible.
Having had a little to do with the now defunct A1GP series I have seen a lot of the pit-falls in an independant series but also the way they had specially built shipping containers made that interlocked and fitted on the plane with minimal wasted space.   Those containers are stored in England currently and could be purchased at a decent price I would expect.
I think 15 rounds would be good but 12 is enough to start and if timed correctly could interest American riders who could race the AMA SX series then choose the World Series over the AMA Nationals.  
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Simo63

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
Rusty if I had a spare couple of million I would be that sponsor  ;D

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:07 am »
Hardly surprising these days sadly.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:31 am »
That whole arrangement will collapse in 12 months as there is no more money honey.

The world is about to go into a deflationary phase as all us old boomers start retiring and reducing our spending and this reduction of spending will undercut substantially the current level of world expansion following the mining boom and subsequent reduction in monetary standards.

The word "austerity measures" will become the norm and these big promoters deals etc will vanish as sponsors dry up all over the world.

Will be interesting to see what the Ecclestones of the world will do to keep their ivory towers intact.