Author Topic: All time classic photographs  (Read 86321 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: All time classic photographs
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:06 am »
Probably not the only small thing they were checking out when you were on the operating table! :) J

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2013, 09:21:13 am »
cheeky J-Man  :D  i didn't like wearing those tissue jocks at all.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:47 am »

:o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
Apart from the penis extension what did you have done on your knee Al? J

TM BILL

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2013, 10:08:15 am »

:o

Doug Domokos he was a bloody legend  :) he came to the UK in about 1978 and put on an exhibition at the Dirt Bike Show run by Martin Christie .

Martin is a mate of mine and supported me when I was a junior racer , Doug stayed at Martins (where I spent most of my time back then ) and to a 15 yr old MX nut he was just the coolest dude ever  8) His stories of stunts and things they got up to back in the states kept us entertained for hrs, he gave me a big bag of stickers DG and Scott ones mainly.

At that time I was the local wheelie king in our area ( on a push bike or dirt bike and kids used to come from other areas to try their luck against me, ole Domestos told me "you can go as far back as you like just dab that rear brake and it will come back everytime " .

He rode a KLX 250 ? and I helped him fit an electric motor to the forks to keep the front wheel spinning while wheelieing .
Took he on the back and wheelied about 3 miles up the A3 ( main London rd ) passing cars and waving to the chicks  8)
When went out to the army parade ground at Aldershot where he wheelied a Kawa Z1 across the parade ground dragging the rear guard on the pavement .

Was only in town for a week but I will never forget Domestos as we called him  :)

I heard he was killed in a plane accident a few years back , couldn't have been that old but shit he sure packed in a lot to what years he had  :)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:11:47 am by TM bill »

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:05 am »
What a buzz as a young bloke to run into "Domestos" that's right up there in the famous blokes I have run into department. J

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:20 am »
Great story Bill....memories like that last a lifetime. When I lived in California in the very early 80's, Belmont Shore the small community I lived in held an annual Festival of the Sea which included a ski race, yacht regatta and for some reason they blocked 2nd street, the main drag and held a a classic car, hot rod and bike show'n'shine. It must have been 1980 or so and one if the attractions was Doug Domokos wheelying down the 2 km street and back down the other way on (I think) a KLX. By today's standards it was fairly average but back then he was the king and he had the crowd going apeshit. A few months later I was back in Oz and I remember seeing Doug on the 6 o'clock news, wheelying all the way across the Sydney Harbour Bridge as a predecessor to appearing at one of the Sydney Showground supercross events. He was certainly a showman and from all reports, a nice bloke                                                                                                                                       

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2013, 11:10:30 am »
Have a look at that rear sprocket!! J

TM BILL

« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:12 am »
That's huge  ;D

As Firko says what DD did back in the day was by todays stds a bit ordinary , but back then he was the king of cool  8)

That's the great thing about forums like this , if I tell anyone from todays era about it then they don't get it  ::) it "yeah but did he do a one handed double backflip while tweeting his mates and filming the whole thing on his gopro  and is it on facebook"  ::)

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2013, 12:03:45 pm »
Exactly Bill! J

Simo63

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2013, 01:58:58 pm »
As Firko says what DD did back in the day was by todays stds a bit ordinary , but back then he was the king of cool  8)

Mate, today I still think DD was cool ... and like Firko, I recall the z1300 wheelie across Sydney Harbour bridge ... something that has never left me  8)  8)

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2013, 02:57:55 pm »
My wheelie moment was standing spellbound watching a helmet less De Coster pop a mono on the RN370 with a blonde promo girl on the back out at Calder for the International MOTORcrosse. I've never been the same dice! Anyone else on here witness that? J

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
DD was amazing to watch. I remember seeing him go for a record at Rosehill race course on a TS250X suzuki with a powered front wheel. He missed the record but still managed about 30 laps!

I also have a vague recollection of the late Dale Buggins challenging DD to a wheelie contest OVER the Harbour bridge. DD declined....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
I think there is footage of him on youtube at one of the early eighties supercross's at Sydney. Monoing around the track!

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »
barry marshall  the acu qld photographer ???