Author Topic: I dood it! a slide!  (Read 16436 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I dood it! a slide!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »
Bill Dillow

Note the blue flag at the ready!

Ken Zapirain on his MSS showing MDMCC colours!
Amaroo '64
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:10:32 pm by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:55 pm »
My 1st and only international rider ;D?? Circa '64 natural terrain scramble Tasmania near Longford. Me No 29 borrowed bike & gear.

Leon? Street came over from VIC for the event.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:35:20 pm by pancho »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »
More good stuff Wally.....I took the liberty to brighten up your photo a bit in a bid to try to identify the bike but still can't make it out. What were you riding Wal? You look like Marlon Brando talking to Lee Marvin in an out take from the Wild One with your rocker jacket and fingerless gloves ;D. I'm impressed that Alwyn Kurts could take some time off from filming the Homicide TV series to man a flag for the club.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:27:37 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 05:09:23 pm »
 Yeah Cool eh Mark? Duplex Beeza B33.
cheers

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
I lost Bill Dillow, here he comes again!

pancho.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
The quality of these photo's is awesome and a big window into the way it was.
This stuff takes me back to my childhood especially Amaroo, a great example of how much the track actually changed in height.
My biggest memorry of Amaroo was sneaking up through the bush ans sitting right on the edge of the Main Curve, I mean Straight and the cave that was above turn 2.
You're a legend Walter.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 06:19:45 pm »
Yeah Mark, in the true oz tradition of nic names we called our Arthur 'Halfa Sanshoe'

That went well when I used to do the MDMCC club news in the "motor cycle clubman', I put in there after a club day that "I'd been beaten by half a wheel before but never by halfa sanshoe",  We miss Arthur, a gentleman who went through VERY hard times as a child in WW2.
Cheers pancho.

Who remembers the ol' Motor cycle Clubman ? Great little Sydney based mag Very ably editored by Mrs Pat Howie.

Hi Wally
My Uncle was a bookbinder and he bound this edition of The Motorcycle Clubman for me. It was the first motorcycle trophy I ever won......Central MCC Sports Day Championship in 1967.... :D :D

Good stuff Alvin!, Don' suppose you have any old MDMCC 'club news by pancho? I never kept any!

Sorry Pancho.......that is the only one that has survived, thanks to bookbinding......I checked through this edition, but there is no club report for Merrylands club......however there is for my NEW club, Gosford..... :D
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
Geoffry doin' it his way!

What a great shot of Geoff Curtis.......the TARies hated anyone who put his foot down on the black stuff. NOW ONLY THE BEST RIDERS DO IT !!! ;D ;D ;D
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »
I was 7 when you won that Dave, shit you're old.
That shot of GC is my all time favourite Wally, as my dad said, "That little bugger can ride anything".
Went to the Showground reunion on Sunday and did a walk of the track, GC is the last name on the plaque of rememberance.
Geoff was a family friend and I got a cold chill when I walked past the part of the track where he sadly left us, I got the same feeling when we passed the spot where my carreer ended as well.
As Booey said, " The Showground was a bloody dangerous track and if you got it wrong you could lose all the skin off your arse".
My sentiments exactly.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »
What a blast from the past Punchy. Keep em comin'.The '60's and '70's just seemed so right.
Wonderful laidback lifestyle etc.
regards  Mark

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:44 pm »
 I would have taken those Amoroo pics about the time my left wrist was in plaster for three months,  [broken wrist courtesy of Arcadia before I cut the lock stops of the steering head]. There will be more somewhere. I took some good shots at Oran park road racing 'cos I' NOT a road racer!
cheers pancho

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
Hey, Wal I had a yarn with Ray Curtis about the pic of GC at Oran Park, Ray tells me that Geoff is on Geoffery Coombes' 500 Goldie that he had let GC " make use of " while he , Geoffery Coombes, was OS.
Ray also told me he has just been lent a 650 Suzy roadie " to make use of ' while the owner is OS, not having a leather jacket , he went to the St.V. de P. leathergoods emporium and came out with a Brando LJ. in good nick

Top pix you've been posting, Wal, it was a different era, Eh ? nobody worried too much about "bling" back then, just went out and raced 'em !!
Foss
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:01:09 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 09:49:13 pm »
I can remember Bathurst enduro rider Alan Cunynghame getting into a lot of shit for his motocross/dirt track riding style NSW road racing circuits back in the seventies. The thing that made him so hated by the road racers was his squaring off corners like a motocrosser and sliding with his foot down like Curtis in the above photo. Conservative racers of the era jacked up and continuously reported him to stewards who would often disqualify him. The was a big hoo haa about it in Revs and AMCN at the time. The thing that really got up their noses though was that he was beating them on a CR250 Honda motocrosser.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:00:35 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:10 pm »
I remember that Firko, why are we not surprised?
Check out the rubber mark a bit wider than GC in that photo, the lap before maybe?
What a rider, he may have been at the tail of the field but as my father used to say, the little shit can ride a bike.
I gotta go, the Police Chopper is hovering around nearby, I think my sons on his way home.