Author Topic: Tt250/xt250 resto-Track bike  (Read 7929 times)

shooter

Tt250/xt250 resto-Track bike
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »
Just picked up a tt250 and a xt250 both 83 models and in bits and pieces ( apparently and hopefully all there ) both were running until one bent a Conrod and cracked a head then the other was stripped down for parts for the broken engine. Both look in good nick overall. Plan is to build one for entry level/beginner racing and go from there, the other will be a spare/paddock basher.

Wanted to know what classes I could race in and what restrictions you have in the way of mods.

Want a competitive set up on a budget. Thinking ; cams , exhaust , possible over bore/ big bore( any links to big bore kits ?! Found people have done them but nothing past 2010 ?! - not keen on custom big bore unless necessary )  and total loss ignition.

Got no idea about suspension on these , will the stock suspension with a revalve, spring change etc be adequate for racing or are aftermarket/ different bike shock n fork the way to go ?

What brake upgrades are available and can be used or racing ?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Tt250/xt250 resto-Track bike
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:12 am »
Works shocks make one for the TT with triple rate springs, YZ250/400 1978 swingarm bolts in and has all the rear brake mounts same as TT but must use YZ wheel and brake plate, triple clamps can be replaced with IT200's so you can fit 43mm forks or use IT175G/H in the stock triples.

Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:34 am »
well like all thumpers they benefit from a hi comp piston,better cams,porting,valve springs to match the cam,bigger carb,freer flowing exhaust and opened up airbox.wheater the clutch and gearbox can take the added power who knows.as to suspension a yz250g/h rear shock and swingarm should go in and same with the forks and triple trees but don't exspect it to be a yz250 beater not unless you can ride the tits off of it ;) ;D

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:25 am »
Remove counterbalance.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Should be a fun little bike. I'd be very cautious of trying to build a world-beater - silk purses and sows ears and all that.

They're both Evo-legal.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

shooter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:08 am »
Thabks for the info , yeah the plan is to use to as an entry level bike and upgrade to a 250 + 2t later , still wanna have some fun tho :p

Can you upgrade to disc front or would that go against class regs ?

Any info or links on big bore to 300cc plus ? Done some research but so far it's all from 2010 and older when there was no sure easy way to do it.

Shock , triples n forks of yz250 easy to source ( in australia ) n approx price in working order ?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »
No discs allowed in evo, the yz250h/465g,h front brakes are pretty good when set up

shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:41:22 pm »
Ok so you can upgrade to better drums but just not disc ?

If you removed the counter balance , you'd just end up with a teeth rattler unless you rebalanced the engine, would the gains be worth the effort ?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:18:08 pm »
Ok so you can upgrade to better drums but just not disc ?

If you removed the counter balance , you'd just end up with a teeth rattler unless you rebalanced the engine, would the gains be worth the effort ?

.....well just take your teeth out and leave 'em on the bed side table ;) No seriously, you wouldn't notice the difference in vibration, but you will notice a definite increase in acceleration/revs/pick up, I have done it to a xt 550 and couldn't tell the difference in vibration.

shooter

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:46 am »
Nah I like my teeth in , but thanks for the tip haha

Does make sense for gains spose ill give it a shot and see what happens.

After looking on fleabay , I found yz465 tube n shock off a 1981 model 38mm fork tubes , are these the ones that'll fit ?

Where's the best place to find springs and valves for these ?

Going to be an interesting project - colour scheme will be a cherry red tank with a polished section like the huskies and yamaha stickers over the top , black frame and polished swingarm , black front and rear fender , black rims with silver spokes and black hubs n drums. Also electrical taken off apart from essential running gear. Engine will be black with polished sections . black fork tubes as well.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:46 am »
YZ465H has 43mm tubes. If they're 38mm then they're from something else.

For the most part, any Yamaha dirt bike 38mm forks can be considered interchangeable with other Yamaha 38mm dirt bike forks.
Same goes for the 43mm forks, although the later ones have a horizontal brake lug which may not be strictly legal for Evo at National level (although nobody has been hassled for it yet).

The XT frame runs loose balls for the steering head. All of the 38 & 43mm front ends run tapered needle rollers. You need to convert the 38+ triples to loose balls, or convert the bike to tapered rollers with an aftermarket kit (definitely the better option).

I started a similar project a few years ago - never finished it, for a variety of reasons (mostly not wanting to spend the money required). I know of another one that's been in the build for two or three years now...

With the power of hindsight, I'd go one of three ways:
1. Leave it alone. Get it into reasonable mechanical condition, go ride it, and have fun;
2. Buy a YZ250/465G/H roller to put the XT motor into. Carb clearance/airbox alignment is a likely problem, and obviously the frame will need to be modded, but it will still give you a much better race bike than a modded XT.
3. Buy a Husky 510 or maybe even one of those rotten HL500 things.
If you want a small/lighter bike, then buy an early XR200 (seriously).

Everything else is piddling money up the wall, one way or another.
The best advice I can give you, was learned the hard way:
Just get a safe, legal bike and go race it.
Don't get caught up in the process of building a shit-hot bike to begin with - it won't make a difference to where you finish at first, and just delays your development as a rider.
Personally, I bought a decent DT250 in 1990. I wasted sixteen years f&@king around with it, until I just went and bought a running YZ125D and finally entered a VMX race... I should have just gone and raced the bloody thing... I sold the DT last year, still unfinished, still never raced... *face palm*

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:45:51 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.