Author Topic: Ray Ryans Motocross Racers......50 minutes to go  (Read 8082 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Ryans Motocross Racers......50 minutes to go
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
I like this one. Got mine signed by Mike Bell, Jeff Ward, Ryan Hughes and Ron Lechien at Farleigh last year ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legendary-Motocross-Bikes-Championship-Winning-Factory-Works-Motorcycles-Descri-/230973816685?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item35c71cbf6d

$250  :o :o, must be a good read....

crankpin

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »

Got mine from Amazon when it first came out £25.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »
Me too but even cheaper than that from memory.

This book, Motocross America, is also great for photos of exotica but don't expect it to be a bargain, Amazon has a new copy at $1,867.85  and second hand copies ranging from $256.50 to one copy at over 6k!!! Once out of print these motocross coffee table books often become way better investments than the bikes in them. I think I paid around $60.

Has anyone seen or read a copy of this book? It's on Amazon for less than 10 bucks so I was wondering if it's worth the investment?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:22:06 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »
Good value , cant wait for the release of Motomaniacs  " Knobs in VMX "

Finally!! A publication in which my talents will be recognised  :D :D :D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:33:58 pm »
For fans of Flat Track, these are good reads and the prices are still within reach of the working man.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

crankpin

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:36 am »
Me too but even cheaper than that from memory.

This book, Motocross America, is also great for photos of exotica but don't expect it to be a bargain, Amazon has a new copy at $1,867.85  and second hand copies ranging from $256.50 to one copy at over 6k!!! Once out of print these motocross coffee table books often become way better investments than the bikes in them. I think I paid around $60.

Has anyone seen or read a copy of this book? It's on Amazon for less than 10 bucks so I was wondering if it's worth the investment?

Have both of them but christ :-O the price of MX America... Don't even rate it for a read though. Great pictures but the text is incredibly dull.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Ryans Motocross Racers......and other VMX books
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 02:53:17 pm »

Superb informative and entertaining book which chronicles the 1972 World Championship Motocross season with more than 300 large-format black-and-white photographs and very detailed captioning.
In addition to photos of the racing action, many of the images are environmental portraits of the star riders of the day, such as Roger DeCoster, Joel Robert, Ake Jonsson, Paul Fredrichs and many others. The exotic, hand-built factory works bikes are revealed in close-up photography from the paddock and race shops.
Also included are reports from five 250cc Grands Prix, six reports from the 500cc World Championship and a report from the 1972 Trophee des Nations.
300+ Big B/W Photographs
240+ Pages, 9 x 11 3/4 inches
Eleven 1972 Grand Prix Motocross Reports
Grand Prix Works Bikes
Factory Tours
Visit www.grandprixmx.com for more details
Free Media Mail shipping in the US; for Priority Mail with tracking, add $7. Overseas sales welcome, contact me for shipping price. See our other auctions!

Websites having a rest..  :(  ???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:03:27 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 03:20:12 pm »
Websites having a rest..
Damn it.....I just remembered I was supposed to buy a copy for a mate...I totally forgot about it :-[....... I wonder if  the website's coming back on line? Matt Hilgenberg's Speed and Sport was selling copies so I might drop him an email. It's a great read for sure.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 03:50:07 pm »
I got this in 1972 from my local Suzuki shop.  I can't find any mention of it in Google so it must be invaluable.  :) 

It was published by Cosmo Public Relations Corporation in Tokyo and all materials in it were provided by Suzuki so it mostly focuses on the Suzuki team, but there are shots of other riders and some interesting "at the races" photos.  Joel shares his secrets of competition riding at the end

Has anyone else seen a copy?

cheers,
Michael

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 04:45:18 pm »
I just checked the Speed & Sport website ( http://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/books-and-manuals/book-grand-prix-motocross/) and they're currently out of stock on Terry Pratt's book.
I hope they find some more copies :-\.

I've never seen that book Michael....some of those Japanese only editions are invaluable for identifying various oddball models and works bikes. I had a rare Japanese "Engrish" language Yamaha dealer book that had GYT race kit modification service bulletins from around 1972 that I stupidly loaned to a guy in my club who loaned it to another guy who then denied he ever had it. I still crack a bad case of the the shits when I think of that deal and the two pricks involved ::). Frank Stanborough has a the only other copy I've ever seen* and he can't find his. He got his from the great Don Jones himself.

*  Franks is a bit different, a different cover and having much more information on the RT1. The Japanese-English text translation is much better too, making me think his is a later edition.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »
I just checked the Speed & Sport website ( http://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/books-and-manuals/book-grand-prix-motocross/) and they're currently out of stock on Terry Pratt's book.
I hope they find some more copies :-\.

Paid for two copies on 5th June  :(  Maybe be here next week  :P
Houston we have contact. Sent a tad late, on there way  8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:18:37 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 07:40:29 pm »
I brought a copy of Grand Prix motocross recently after reading this thread,Thanks,I tried to get it through cycle news a few years back but they had no copies left so I gave up/forgot about it :)

I have been reading it slowly bit by bit over a couple of weeks,it's a brilliant book,I noticed on page 96 the pic on the bottom of the page is a line up of Maicos waiting to be shipped out to dealers,they all appear to have black rims :-\ is it a protective coating for shipping or are black rims kosher vmx kit :D ,I still don't like em myself though ;) 

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 02:15:30 pm »
I was just lucky enough to pick of a copy of Ray's Motocross Racers off ebay for US$50, got to be happy with that  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 03:22:30 pm »
I've had the below book for a while but hadn't really taken much notice of it until the rain and cold drove me back indoors and gave me a chance to read through a couple of recently purchased books. After battling to get through the captions I read the first couple of chapters but had to stop before I threw the book across the room and possibly hurt a family member. The author Joe Scalzo has a very irritating habit of referring to riders by their nick names which would be OK once or twice but to do it all the way through the book is extremely annoying. Annoying as that might be, he even gets some details so wrong its embarrassing....Dick Bugsy Mann is continually referred to as 'Bugg' which not only shows the writers ignorance but I think it's an insult to the great man. It gets worse........Harley Davidsons are referred to as 'Vibrators' or 'Hogs' and Triumphs and BSA's as 'Lime Juicers', a term I've never heard used to describe anything, let alone a British motorcycle.  There are so many mistakes in grammar, spelling and historical accuracy that it makes me wonder if the both the books proof reader and editor kept their jobs after the reviews came out ::). The photos are great but everything else sucks, it could have been so much better if Mr Scalzo hadn't tried so hard to portray himself as a groovy member of the flat track in crowd and concentrated on the story at hand.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »
I'm fond of the autobiography/people books  Cool
anyone got this one ..write up is interesting
http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1884313213

I borrowed Jonesy's copy and it's a really good read Alison. The part that surprised me is how badly KTM screwed Penton.....pretty disgraceful.