Author Topic: Anyone else get sever errors, frozen pages on forum? Not bitching, just asking  (Read 11236 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
I did some site maintenance last night so that may have helped. I did find a database error that I can't fix, plus this version of the forum software is now really old. I know it is possible to upgrade but I've read up on it and it's beyond me (or at least, I don't have the enthusiasm to put the effort into it). 

I am tempted to start from scratch with the latest version of the software, or even a different forum program. My host has a range of different systems available.  If I went to a different one, it'd still work much the same way so no big drama there, the only issue would be anyone's bookmark's or favourites but that's easy enough to fix. I *think* it's possible to port all member accounts across so no-one would need to re-register.

If I go down that track, I'd close this current forum off and keep it as an archive. That means that it'd still be able to be searched or read or linked to.

Alternatively, if there's anyone with a clue about this stuff that could help fix the database and upgrade the software, I'd be most grateful.

At this stage, I am looking for opinions.  Whaddya reckon?

TM BILL

Graeme you will do whats best i know  :) but the thought of letting this one go  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( it would be like knocking down a blokes local  :o :o

Keeping it as an archive would be great , but hopefully someone a lot clever than me will have the answers to keeping this one alive  :)

Whatever the outcome thanks again for providing this great facility for us  :) its as i said before my bastion from the PC world  ;D
My wife is happy to contribute to maintence cost as being here keeps me from interfering in family life , apparantly her and the kids have that under control  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday Graeme and thanks for giving us the best VMX forum on the web.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
X 2 what Firko said.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

Wishing you a very happy birthday Graeme  :) have a great day .

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
 Hear! Hear!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. So far it's been a pretty good day. I got a nice Google Nexus tablet as my birthday present on which I can download and read my online magazines and last Sunday I spent a day at one of the most enjoyable race meets I have had the pleasure of attending.

Now if anyone would like to make it even better, think about what you post. I really *hate* moderating and trying to work out the right balance of what's OK and what isn't. So, just because I asked nicely and it's my birthday, anyone who may have posted anything contentious today might like to reconsider if that was a good idea...

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Scunge - nah connection speed up here better than I am used to - bandwidth/technology not something short of over here  ;D

Actually there is a range local to me I am wanting to try out - AKs, Uzi's - will let you know.

Oh sorry - they won't let Craigy in here  :'(
Dont worry Ross I can get a fake passport from your supplier-see you soon  :-*

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Enjoy your birthday to the max Greame! Cheers mate Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
What's happening people, [just woke up], had a beer after sawing wood all afternoon behind the old 'Fergy Dangerous Weapon Saw' & fell asleep--damn, now i'll be awake all night. Beer must have been for Graeme's Birthday!! so 'happy b/day Graeme, & thanks for running this 'forum', i'd sort of be a bit lost without it now, & has become a regular daily habit. Whatever the outcome [forum] thanks again.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Yep last couple of months  happens at random , mind you lots of things happen at random  ;) people get robbed at random , cars crash at random  things go missing at random and now my favorite site goes off the air at random  :'(

Moral of the story "dont move to random "
Another place were there seems to be a lot of action is a GUNPOINT
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Mustang car forum runs same format/programme (looks same layout,colours etc) and NO PROBLEMS
this is so slow some days you just give up

Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Timed out 3 times to get threw today ,who has 20 mins to sit waiting??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Yeah it IS playing up. I was contemplating trying to migrate to a different system but am not savvy enough. I am thinking of hiring an IT guy to help me do it. Stay tuned.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC

I haven't had much trouble lately
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?