Author Topic: Post Classic Slider Class.  (Read 10750 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Post Classic Slider Class.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
firko
no c/port frames so all late weslakes are out all 4 valve jawas are out after the dohc. all gms are out, and most goddens,c/port frames came out in the 80s. they are pre85 as the rules stand.must have a cut off date as most upright motors can be converted to laydown and i thing the laydowns can be made to run upright.
pre1978 and pre 1990 would be 2 great classes.i have seen 2v beat 4v bikes it comes down to the rider.
you can ride them in the year class any way so realy why do we need a special race for sliders.
my antig is pre70 my bellini is pre78
just my 5 cents worth
jim

Offline hagon412

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
Just regarding the leading link fork discussion. There is a 1985 Godden in the bathurst national motor racing museum ridden by Chris Watson with leading link forks ?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:21:39 AM by hagon412 »

Curly3

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Jim, I'm talking POST Classic Slider class up to and including pre90, centre port, upright 4 Valve Engines should all be in.
Leading Link will be in for 2014 but I'm still sceptical when they did hit the scene.
As far as I'm concerned the Classic Slider class should include engines like the early Weslakes and all of the 4 Valve conversions, along with the venerable JAP & JAWA 2 Valver's.
By the way, I still don't have a copy of the 2013 MOM's.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
i do you can come over and look at it if you want

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
You should have got it by now Steve, mine came in the post last week. Is your licence still current?
Cheers
Shaun

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
no c/port frames so all late weslakes are out all 4 valve jawas are out after the dohc. all gms are out, and most goddens,c/port frames came out in the 80s. they are pre85 as the rules stand.must have a cut off date as most upright motors can be converted to laydown and i thing the laydowns can be made to run upright.
pre1978 and pre 1990 would be 2 great classes.i have seen 2v beat 4v bikes it comes down to the rider.
you can ride them in the year class any way so realy why do we need a special race for sliders.
my antig is pre70 my bellini is pre78
just my 5 cents worth

I mean for the 2V class Jim.

Leading Link will be in for 2014 but I'm still sceptical when they did hit the scene.
As far as I'm concerned the Classic Slider class should include engines like the early Weslakes and all of the 4 Valve conversions, along with the venerable JAP & JAWA 2 Valver's.
By the way, I still don't have a copy of the 2013 MOM's.

The easiest way to get rid of 2V Jawas and JAPS from the sport all together is to lump them in with the 4V bikes. The 2V class should remain in the same way as the pre 65 and pre 60 classes have been maintained in VMX. These bikes need to be encouraged to compete by having them in their own category. Imagine how long the old Brit stuff would last in the sport if their classes were merged with later classes.....it's the same with 2V sliders. More has to be done to encourage them to return. There are shitloads of them out there, their owners just have to be convinced that it's worth bringing them out again. You'll possibly find that many of the 4V Post Classic class guys own 2 Valves as well so by keeping the class they'll more than likely bring both bikes if only for the extra ride. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:58:10 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »
POST, POST, POST, I forgot the most important word in my previous comment.
Sorry for the the confusion. I meant I couldn't see a problem with someone on a Jap or 2V Jawa having a ride at the Post Classic Titles.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:09:49 AM by SlideRulz »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
I just wonder where the 2V OHC TT and XT 500 powered sliders like mine and Wally's fit in ?? With the 4Vs I suppose??
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »
 Foss,
       I reckon the Yammy should be in with the 2v JAPS and 2v Jawas.

Curly3

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
I agree as well Mark, when the MOM's come up for debate again next year I'll be lobbying for them to be incuded in with the 2 Valve Jap's N Jawa's.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
The situation with the 2V Yamaha XT/TT engine was a hot topic back in the early days of classic dirt track. Remembering that all classic dirt track was pre 75 at the time, the 2Valve class being an exception to the year cutoff, the only stipulations being two valve pushrod engines and no later Godden style centre port frames. Because the XT/TT Yamaha wasn't released prior to 1975 and that the engine is OHC, the Yamaha was excluded. On behalf of racer Chris Ellis I lobbied Penrith Club and MA to allow the Yamaha engine into the 2V class using the criteria that because they were based on a street engine they wouldn't be competitive. Reluctantly Penrith officials let Chris ride in the 2V class not imagining that he'd have any chance on his Elstar Yamaha against the likes of Phil Hearne, Glen McDonald, Jonesy and many more quick guys. In those days up to 20 sliders and sometimes more raced in the 2V class and it shocked everyone when Chris wasn't only competitive on the bike, he whooped everyone and won the meeting. After that there was a huge foo foo raw over the bike being ilegal so he was never allowed to bring it back again. Ironically he was allowed to race it at the annual Condo meeting and one of the most memorable moments of the very last Condo is of Chris fighting it out with Gary O'Brien for the big trophy of the meeting. Gary won but that old trailbike engine was right up his left elbow the whole time. Both Chris and Gary retired straight after and they still both talk fondly of that meeting and especially the final.

Now that times have moved on including Chris who's retired to South Australia and building a replica HL using his motor, why not add the sentence that I lobbied for years ago to the 2V rules.....Engines must be 2V pushrod operation with the exception of trail bike originating 2V  OHC engines such as Yamaha XT/TT. As I said in 1995, it's a cheap, entry level way into the slider class for those who can't afford the exotic speedway based engines.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
Yep, my Hagon Yammy got protested by Kevin Horton at Goulburn in 1994, before the meeting started, I told 'em I was gunna race anyway, and didn't give a damn about the piece of plastic, just exclude me from the results, I said !! I was right on his back wheel at times, there wasn't enough straight to go by him on the KX 450, still grinnin" !!, broke an engine plate, I was trying that hard.

On a more serious level, in a couple of years , when I'm a Super Senior, my bike isn't legal for that either ???, Pre 75 dontcha know, well, I've always been out of the square a bit anyway, so I should be used to it  ::)
Foss
Oh yeah, the Hagon motor isn't a biggun, still std bore, the Gally is 540, hmmm, I wonder where I'd get another 90mm piston ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:19:55 PM by JAP 454 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
Hey Pancho, any chance the guys name that has just got the Godden is John Testorie. If it is the bloke I am thinking of he used to and probably still does live out Rossmore way.

I Think that's the gentleman in question C M
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
I just wonder where the 2V OHC TT and XT 500 powered sliders like mine and Wally's fit in ?? With the 4Vs I suppose??
Foss
\
What about some early slider specials such as the KSS Velo O.H.C  bored out to 500 in a slider frame that I saw at the Nepean two-day meeting a few years ago? Should that be excluded if it turns up one day ready to race?

Velo KSS was well and truly pre 75

pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Don't know if I should wade into this quagmire but ,.....here goes.
Sliders pre 1980 2v and 4v upright motors because thats what we had,... up to 500cc
Sliders 1980 to 1990 upright motors up to 500cc.
Sliders with laydown motors can go play elsewhere :D
Sliders with big bore 2 strokes welcome up to 500cc as long as they meet the date criteria
Now to sort out the 125 and 250 classes.

regards  Mark
ps. I'm going to be sorry I got into this ;)