Author Topic: unfortunate experience with VMX member  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
unfortunate experience with VMX member
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:50 am »
 Had a dissappointing experience recently withone of our "brothers", bought what was reported as a nearly perfect front rim, an honest mistake i reckon on his part, just didnt look close enough, anyway wheel/rim arrives and has more than a half dozen cracks, oh well, i'll ring him, at which time he appologizes and says send it back and will refund the $100 originally paid, what a nice bloke, easy to talk too, stands by his "word" etc, couple days later get a message saying "dont send back, chalk it up to experience" etc......

Now, i have had a few dealings with on here....Ando,Craig Taylor, Firko, Oldfart and others, all good guys, but still we need to be careful, i guess the old saying "buyer beware" applies.  Couple of others i have found as GENTLEMEN too, D project, AdamN, Bitten, Brett Donaldson and on and on, all good guys.

Is it something that needs "name and shame" applied? it is a forum for discussion?

Kt
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:51:22 am by Ktm181 »

TM BILL

Re: unfortunate experience with VMX member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
Going back a fair while i bought a YZ 125A cylinder described as exellent from a former forum member  Adam Scard. 
The Cyl was fuct and needed replating  ::) i contacted ole mate who told me to get fuct . So i took it to the forum , initially there were cries of out the bastard , name and shame etc , however when i did name him there was more back pedaling from the noisy ones than a cycle race in a hurricane  ::)

Seems he had mates on here who were quick to want him outed until they found who he was  ::) He then proceeded to taunt the Kiwi about ripping the Kiwi off  >:(

While i wouldn't make a special trip to visit him , i have a long memory and a fairly long reach and should our paths cross i will bring it up with mr Scard  ;).

You have to do what you have to do but it seems that you have been dudded  ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:46:33 am by TM bill »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
Thats a hard one kt. I have had that on evilbay but not here. Maybe nicely send him amessage asking for him to reconsider. Sometimes writing to him may approach from a different angel...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:11 am »
You would have to be careful...I am in the Debt Recovery business & nameing & shaming can cause lots of legal issues.
Im with you on members doing the wrong thing, but private mediation with a inpartial ozvmx moderator would probably be the best option-If the powers that be agree or have the time to provide this service.

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:54:34 am »
All good advice above.  I personally would call and discuss with him, not text.

If no luck and if you don't feel comfortable with publicly naming then maybe offer other members to opportunity to PM you and you can advise in private.

At least that way we'll have a chance to know who to avoid.

PS: I've seen this method work well on other forums.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:32:30 am by Simo63 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:59 am »
Yeah I agree, naming and shaming on a forum usually turns into a shark feeding frenzy with all sorts of shit getting thrown by people who have no connection with the original problem but who like to stir up the pot. I've dealt with a number of forum members and have had nothing but good experience....it's a shame your rim situation turned to crap.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:26 am »
I have had a bad experience dealing with a member who is quite vocal about his bad experiences, I have not related the story in writing here. It maybe a case of the "Tragic/ Comedy" Funny when it happens to someone else. Terrible when it happens to ones self. I am just amazed that a person would tell you to send it back and he will refund you and then to retract that offer. Honest mistake initially maybe, lack of integrity after the fact. Definitely.

I must say that the very large majority of guys I have met on here, all seem to be helpful and great blokes. Just know what you are dealing with, if it's a pussy cat you can stroke it. If it is a snake, walk away. I would never deal with a known A hole and I would walk away from snakes.

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:22 am »
All excellent advice guys, makes me feel a little better about it!  I DID write back so as to keep a record and ask him to consider his position, but no reply, i'm not going to bother chasing him, BUT i dont want any of you guys to get burnt either, i guess anyone who wants to know who he is can PM me and i will update them.

I have just been trying to salvage what i can from the experience, i mean i am sure he didnt realize it was cracked, what i didnt like was his apology and agreeing to take it back and then change his mind. In any case i have been attempting to salvage the spokes, 6 good ones out of 36!, the hub i will eventually use i guess, the rim i will just bin.

Its a shame, you sort of feel you can trust guys you get to know through here and pretty much i do and still will, just leaves a bad taste is all.

Anyway, PM me if you need to, happy to make sure no one else gets burnt. I find that you cant affect what life throws at you BUT you can affect how you deal with it and how you respond, my way is ALWAYS conciliatory and 100% honest, your word is who you are if think.

End of whinge, Kt

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:29 am »
It is only $100.00 , yeah it does suck , think about all the bargains one can normally get here on the forum and move on.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:58 am »
Luckily, that sort of experience is definitely out of the ordinary from what I've found in the VMX community. The exact opposite seems to be far more common.  ;D
I've seen it go pear-shaped on another forum when someone did the name-and-shame thing and as much as I've wanted to it myself, it could end up biting you on the arse.

btw what sort of rim was it and do you still need another one?

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:09 am »
It got the better of you Wayne hey ;D, not all the blokes on here are shady ;)
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Simo63

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:37:59 am »
Anyway, PM me if you need to, happy to make sure no one else gets burnt.

Done, thanks  :)

Also what sort of rim/wheel was it?  I can check my collection of "valuable stuff" and see if I can help you out with one for free.

Cheers
Simo

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:08 am »

Yep, $100 for a hub is how i AM looking at it now, well a hub and 6 spokes!  I am still smiling, too many good blokes in VMX to let one get to me, my sole reason for the post is to stop others getting burnt, $100 is not a lot of dough when these things cost you thousands, its just a shame it happens, i hate loosing trust, trust is worth a LOT more than a $100.

End of discussion if thats ok, just pm me if you need to know WHO!

Kt

p.s. almost forgot, THANKX you guys for the offer of rims etc, but i have just taken delivery of a nos rim to replace it! AND BY THE BY just re-reading these comments simply reinforces exactly why i love VMX and this FORUM!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:02:39 pm by Ktm181 »

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »
When you add in the 6 spokes its a bargain.

If it was my bike that the hub was to be fitted to , the bike will be forever known to me as the hub bike.

It seems that alot of bikes we have are know as the Dave bike , the US bike  or the Orange bike etc , usually named after the person it was purchased from , place they come from or some drama we had during the resto etc.

Although its a shit deal , It all adds to the experience of owning old bikes

Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »
thanks HVA, you just made me laugh at some of those names....my 500 is named "Muriel", the 465 "Alice" and my 900 "Elvis"!!!!!

Kt