Author Topic: Suspension on YZ 490 L  (Read 2481 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Suspension on YZ 490 L
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:49:42 am »
anyone got any tips on the forks ... oil level or volume? and weight?

does the mono shock have compression and rebound adjustment?

on the bottom of the shocker is a big adjuster, i assume its rebound

on the top next to the canister fitting hose is what looks like a clicker? It has a pin in a slot? what does this do?

(never had  a Yammie so firing blind on it currently)

cheers

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension on YZ 490 L
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:02 am »
you should buy yourself a YZ service manual or even the Clymers version, all the basic information is in there. but your correct, the rebound adjuster is on the bottom and the compession is on the top of the shock. standard setting for both is about 9-10 clicks back from maximum. the pin in the slot is how the adjuster works, unless your shock is out of gas or low on oil.

i've set my YZ's forks oil weight and levels to suit my ridding style and the type of tracks i ride. best to start from stock and work from there...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:23:39 am by Zakk »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:26:25 am »
Thanks, i will do the 150mm from the top of the forks with the springs out and fully compressed with 10wt and work from there.

With the top clicker, when we wound it out, the pin fell out ??? so i guess the comp adjuster is seized so might spray some wd on it and see if it frees up.

pushes down reasonably easily then rebounds slowly so i am assuming the rebound is wound right up and the comp is a little light. shocker appears in good knick but an hour in the saddle will tell the story...
 ;)

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »
the top adjuster has around 20 clicks (or so) before its reached the minium setting, if you keep winding it out eventually the nob will come off. the pin is held in by the adjuster nob so once its undone the pin will fall out. also once the shock is low on oil or gas the adjuster pin only works on the very maximum settings, before i had my shock rebuilt, it would only 'click' about 3-4 clicks out from max, if i wound it out any more the internal adjuster rod stopped pushing on that pin and it would fall out.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
Cheers Zack, that will be our issue!

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »
on the top next to the canister fitting hose is what looks like a clicker? It has a pin in a slot? what does this do?

missed this before, if your shock has the compression adjuster on the top of the shock body (have to remove the seat to adjust it) then you have a K model, if this adjuster is on the remote reservoir (and can be adjusted from the side of the bike) then you have an L model.

if your exhaust outlet is on the chain side you have a 490K, if it's on the rear brake side you have an L model, probably has Z spokes, plus plenty of other differences too

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:50:29 pm »
got it, its a k model...Cheers