Author Topic: *NOT VMX* THE CLASSIC CAR THREAD  (Read 24228 times)

Tony T

Re: *NOT VMX* THE CLASSIC CAR THREAD
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »
Strangely enough, one of my favourite childhood memories if of our Safari wagon.
I remember being with Dad when he picked it up brand new (and the yellow ramp leading out of the showroom..  ::) ) I remember sitting in the back playing with Lego with my sister on trips ( no seat belts) I remember bouncing off a rock face in the Snowy Mountains avoiding another car on the wrong side of the road, I remember feeding hay to the cows out of the back of it, and I remember the number plate.... KVU905......  ;D

Wish I could afford to buy one now.  :-\

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
I love that Scout.

pm me some details on the 426, it'll bolt up to the Scouts 727 torqueflight..
Simo's already put his hand up for it but if things change I'll let you know. I've got a stout little C code 289 Ford engine I'm thinking of parting with too. It's got some good bits in/on it including genuine Shelby Cobra rocker covers.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:22 pm »
a couple more...
my Pacer doing the 1/4 in flat 15's...

my purple VF VIP,  318 auto.. did high 16's with way too much wheelspin..  :D

and here's where my Pacers 6pak ended up...

waste really... ::)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:15:48 pm »
I had a VG VIP....the only new car I've ever owned. When was the last time anyone saw a padded roof VIP? The foam padding in ther roof would soak up water and the roof pillars rusted away in no time. Mine was rusted out under the vinyl roof when I sold it and it was only 3 years old.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:20:08 pm »
Zakk, did you grow up around Ashfield
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:55 pm »
I had a VG VIP....the only new car I've ever owned. When was the last time anyone saw a padded roof VIP? The foam padding in ther roof would soak up water and the roof pillars rusted away in no time. Mine was rusted out under the vinyl roof when I sold it and it was only 3 years old.

a mate of mine had a VG VIP, apart from the headlights and grill the major difference was no front flipper/quarter windows. but i did like the padded vinyl roof with the 2" smaller rear window, not sure if mine was rusted underneath.... but i eventually got defected for a cracked/rusted chassis rail behind the steering box  :(

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »
Zakk, did you grow up around Ashfield

i live in Adelaide, don't think there's an Ashfield here?

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:41 am »
My other car....

1959 Jaguar Mk1 3.4 4 Speed Manual with Electric Overdrive and 4 Wheel Disc Brakes

I can do the 1/4 mile in style and all without squealing the tyres. Has towbar for bike trailer.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:03:14 am by KTMaico »
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:00 pm »
Hey Zakk,
There was a guy at ashfield a bit older than us who's nickname was zak and he was allways driving a pacer or other valiants...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline PE sicko

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:05 pm »
Great stuff Zakk, I especially like the widened stocko's on the VIP. The VIP was 4" longer than the sedan (in the rear floorpan/rear doors) and shared the same wheelbase as the 2-Doors.
That SCOUT is STOUT!!
The Navahoe Beige Safari wagon in the background of my car pics was mine as well, pain in ass trying to get 2 cars to a show!
Why do I have to keep repeating the Old Bull/Young Bull story?
Your an EMO kid? Pfft, Tsst. Go away or I will get my axe.
Suzuki PE250X (One of the best around)
Yamaha TY175 (Wear this thing like a G-String)
Montesa Cota 348 Trail (Boyhood Dreambike)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:32 am »
Over the years I've had all of the VF-VG body styles except a wagon....a 265 3 on the floor VG ute, a VF slant six ute, a VG Pacer coupe, an old dunger slant six VF sedan and the VG VIP and when living in the US often drove my wifes sisters Dodge Dart 273.......I had a real soft spot for them.....and still like 'em actually

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:05 pm »
here's a few more..
a 1967 Dodge Phoenix i had for about 6 months before having to sell, this shot was after i'd sold it and the owner was doing a rebuild...

i used to street drag the Dodge as well, although with a 318 it just made into the high 17's for the 1/4. :D

the Scout isn't the first convertible i've owner, here's one i made myself from an AP5  ;D

actually the AP was rooted before i chopped it, the body was full of rust/bog and the slant was knocking...
here's a couple more of the VIP

and PE Sicko, i know the VF/VG VIP wheelbase was longer than the sedan, i just ment the VG VIP's lack of flipper windows was fairly unique. also another mate of mine had a VE VIP, not sure if this one has the longer wheelbase but his had a full length sunroof which was cool.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38:02 am »

BN1 = Wiring probs, clutch disintergrated, teeth off 3rd gear, valve seats falling out, cracked heads, shock broke out of chassis, rear axle bearings and seals not up to it,

exhaust system left somewhere on the putty road, body work alloy cracking up.

Plus no money left after payments to pay for petrol.

Looked good.

pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Jim

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
how long do u reckon that would last parked on the front lawn in villawood these days pancho...?nice bit of gear thou..

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 12:04:30 pm »
 Long as the insurance payments were up to date!

If it was a BN2  different story, I'd get violent if any one went near it!

While I was living at Villawood, cars were fairly safe, the local shops weren't, and I did have a bloke ask me if i would buy are Triumph 'Saint' gearbox that was out of a cops bike pinched from outside the Miller Rd shops!.

Not real interested in that!
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!