Author Topic: My beloved bastard bike - Suzuki RE 405  (Read 10471 times)

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
My beloved bastard bike - Suzuki RE 405
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »
Hi all,

as promised in my intro here's some picks of my beloved custom.  As I explained it's not a true VMX resto I suppose, but it generates a lot of interest wherever she goes so that'll do me!

It's the bike I couldn't buy - one with the works that would do everything! Started in 1996. I was looking for the best chassis with the best motor that would fit all my pre prerequisites - MX, grasstrack, trail, hillclimb - even have motard wheels for her but not finished yet!

It is a '80 PE 400 shoehorned into a 1991 RM 125 with a few custom bits thrown in. The result I am really happy with.  Doesn't do a thing wrong, handles like an arrow, roosts and vibrates!

I searched for several years to get just 'the right' bike and motor (best handling, weight, suspension, grunt, simplicity etc). Lucked upon a rolling chassis RM 125 and the PE was well, err . . . a primo one owner PE 400 with only 900 clicks that had been lent up against a shed wall all its life!  Some will call it sacrilegious but I was just rapt to find the motor I was looking for and so proceeded to rip it out and begin my project  :o :o ::) ::).  The complete PE rolling chassis was picked up by some lucky bugger whom I cant remember the name - maybe he is on here somewhere???

I call it RE as its 1/2 RM and 1/2 PE, plus because it is a bit of an ongoing experiment it also stands for Retro Experimental! The 405 is again because its 1/2 400 and and 1/2 125!  You will see it's got a few "funny' bits plus some you can't see.  'Plastics' are custom fibreglass. Suspension has been lowered 30mm and set up plushhh! (for old bones).  The motor was totally stripped and only needed rings and rubber bits (seals) as everything else was like new! The barrel has been cleaned up somewhat  ;), compression bumped up and ignition advanced a touch. Usually these mods go against the grain with these motors as they detonate easily, but she goes clean and hard! Have to run avgas though.

[/img]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:19:56 pm by Barra »

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: My beloved bastard bike - Suzuki RE 405
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:16:18 pm by Barra »

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
I saw this bike at the last Classic Dirt at Barrabool and I must have spent as least an hour looking at it. The more I looked the more I liked.
I was (and still am) very impressed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:25:41 pm by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »
Great to see something a little different. Not keen on that shade of yellow but that tank looks like a work of art. Well done on a great project.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:26:58 pm »
What a great bike, well done.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

Just fantastic, a TRUE WORKS BIKE, hand made and one off, just amazing, we need more lateral thinkers like you mate, please please bring it to Classic Dirt in New South this year, I MUST SEE it in person. Sort of reminds me of one of the ATK from early 90's in looks, i'd like to do something similar using '84 125 with 400 PE engine, lowered is the go, nimble in the bush and low c of g for good mx starts, just lovely!
Kt

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:33 pm »
For someone who's generally a bit anal about everything being period correct, I really like this!  ;D
I can appreciate the work that's gone into it and love how you've genuinely made something 'your own'.
Excellent!!

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:01:27 am »
Just my kind of stuff. Amazing job on the tank.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:02 am »
I'm not into monos but that is fantastic!  Wish I had half yr skill.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 09:56:21 am »
Thats  just Faarrrrrkeeeennnnn cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:50 am »
That is awesome what clutch kit did you use? I have been thinking of putting one on my 400 I found that the standard 400 frame handles well enough that is why my project is pretty much all PE apart from the 84 cr250 front end.

Here is a pic of mine I have a 38mm mikuni flatslide that I have used on my other 400's and it was a big improvement over the stock carb. I also have a different ignition for the bike it is a powerdynamo unit so I have 12v lighting and get rid of the old cdi setup, I am also down Geelong way.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:11 am »
It's also exactly the reason we need a 20 year rolling cut off in my opinion, it could be the first entry for Pre '95!
There should also be a rule for home builds that they have to be ridden by all of us, one of the nicest concepts i have seen, a bit out of the ordinary, maybe a "bastard bike" category is needed? AND if this is a "bastard bike" i want one!
Kt.

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:21:20 am »
While normally this sort of bike  goes against the grain for me i have to congratulate you on a great job .

You have managed to make it look right in every way  8)

Bloody well done it looks awesome  :)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:33:42 am »
i like this bike to but love the suzuki s in the front rotor

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:56 am »
"Just my kind of stuff. Amazing job on the tank"

Yeah thanks, the tank was a bit of challenge, never done anything like that before. My trade is woodgrubb builder but also an ex farmboy and my old man was a mechanic and my brother a fitter and turner so i've picked up a bit over the years. I also like to think I have a bit of mad inventer in me!

The tank is made from 2mm thick plate and has baffles inside to stop the fuel load surging around (I get ribbed over that one but it indicates how many hours was spent on this bike just standing there dreaming up cool ideas!).

To build it I started off by making a sheet metal template that would form the 'U' shape under section of the tank (like a big taco shell wrapped over the frame backbone). After mounting that onto the frame I simply wrapped the the whole lot with glad wrap and proceeded to spray on expanding foam till it was built up into a big blob (very technical stuff) ::) Then it was time to get the rasp out (maybe my woodgrubb skills helped here) and keep rasping till is was happy  :P :o with the shape, making sure the seat fitted, full lock steering clearance was ok etc.

As I'm not even a sniff of a panel beaters peener; crucial to being able to achieve building this thing was that I knew it had to be formed from folded flat plate, there was no panel beating involved at all. Otherwise I couldn't have ever done it. All curves are one dimensional (but I did manage to get a bit of contour into the sides).  

At the foam model stage I could see the physical finished shape so I could feel confident about the finished product being just right.  Then the fun began with creating the metal work.  The foam didn't have much strength but it was firm enough to fold 0.6mm aluminium plate over to form templates, which I trimmed to exact size. After making all the folded templates I flattened them out again and did the whole thing over again laying them out on the 2mm plate and cutting each panel to exact size. To achieve the correct curves I applied a range of bush mechanic skills involving experimenting rolling alloy sheet around various size oil barrels, blocks of 4x2 in vices, rubber mallets and ropes!  ???

After a month or so of rooting around I ended up with a pile of funny shaped folded bits and pieces which were ready to weld together. Dad helped me turn up the threaded fuel cap fitting (those hoseless Acerbis fuel caps are the best!), sorted out the fuel tap mounts (reserve tap), made up a couple of 90 degree tube fittings for the fuel level sight gauge and all was ready!

I wanted the welding to be schmick, so I enlisted Gareth from B&B in Ballarat to stitch it all together for me. He did the whole lot in one hit on a saturday morning in between serving customers. I was rapt! I drove to Ballarat with a box of jigsaw pieces and came home with a brand new fuel tank! Boy what a relief when it fitted on perfectly!

Finished it off with some home made graphics. I got inspiration from early Yamaha logo, can't think which model it was? The Suzuki "S" I had to draw/replicate on my 'puter and then got a signwriter mate to cut it out. The rest is pretty basic really, just hand cut signwriter vinyl all covered with a thick clear protection layer, but the finished thing makes me happy :P :D