Author Topic: My beloved bastard bike - Suzuki RE 405  (Read 10467 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My beloved bastard bike - Suzuki RE 405
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:12 am »
I have to agree that the bike is very well done and looks just right. What's the go with the gearshift shaft looking like it is located at the centre of the swingarm pivot bolt ? (Edit): Had another look and noticed the linkage down to the gearshift shaft.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:57:08 am by Husky500evo »

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
i like this bike to but love the suzuki s in the front rotor

Both rotors are like that and lazer cut from bisalloy and then surface ground to 4mm thick. Front is 280mm.  I have a heap of rejects laying around in the shed when I was experimenting (there's that word again) with different thicknesses and different grades of stainless steel etc., but settled on the bisalloy as it stays true under heat, has good adhesion (brakes are magic, as good as any modern!) resistant to rust.

As I already had the Suzuki "S" in my 'puter it was easy to give it to the lazer guys for them to program in. My discs are on file, if I ever need more I just have to go to them and say "cut me another one please".

Like the tank, my brakes also make me happy  :o :P  

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:05 am »
I have to agree that the bike is very well done and looks just right. What's the go with the gearshift shaft looking like it is located at the centre of the swingarm pivot bolt ? (Edit): Had another look and noticed the linkage down to the gearshift shaft.

That was one of the very few compromises I had to make on the bike after it was built - but as it turned out I think it was an improvement.

Because the motor and frame were never made for each other, the footpeg position in relation to the gear shaft were way out of whack. The gear lever was standing uphill about 30 degrees and shifting gears was a bitch (getting false neutrals) as the gear lever in effect was  rotating up and back (very awkward).

This required another standing and thinking session, with more ideas coming with each can of creativity stimulent. The idea of using the centre of the swingarm axle came to me when trying to work out a way of having the gear lever running parallel with my foot. I thought if the lever moved 'up' instead of 'backwards' it would make for easy upshifting.  The pivot for the gear lever is pretty much in line with my ankle making for a nice 'parallelagram' type action. There is an adjustable linkage going down to a shortened gear lever to complete the set up.

This version is a bit rudimentory. I had to keep the pivot bolt small in diameter as  didn't want to weaken the actual swingarm axle.  Had no probs at all so far.  I'd like to do another one using nicer materials. But it does work much better now like it should. 

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
Interesting concept....a sweet lookin thang  8)

Did you do any weighing in  :P
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14970.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
Outstanding Barra what a labour of love. I have been mulling over building a bastard bike for a while. You may have inspired me to get cracking. Again well done! Cheers Jerry PS Not taking it up to the Broadford Bonanza by any chance?

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »
Who made up your pipe? did a nice job. Just looking again at the pics looking side on with that tank the bike is very WR500 like.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
That is awesome what clutch kit did you use?

Frosty it's a Hebo unit supplied by a Trials supplier in Geelong. It was around $350 15 years ago. There are other brands available nowdays.   

I couldn't believe how good it operates. Fits any cable clutch bike.  Fully adjustable. Light as a feather, good take up and snicks into gear when cold with no drag! Perfect! One of the best things on the bike.

[/img]
[/img] 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:07:10 pm by Barra »

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 03:17:12 pm »
I love posting pictures . . . not. Last try.

[/img]

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 04:02:43 pm »
More power to ya Barra, creating a bike that's unique, neatly constructed and thought out and above everything functional. Bikes like this just rile those who don't get it which is yet another good reason for its very existence. Congratulations on the tank too mate....I'm a tig welder by trade and I'd be a bit hesitant of building something that complex.
BELOW: The sticker that's going on all of my hot rod bikes this season....it kinda fits this neat "dare to be different" little Suzuki too.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:49 pm »
Sweet ride Barra 8)
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »
Who made up your pipe? did a nice job. Just looking again at the pics looking side on with that tank the bike is very WR500 like.

Thanks Maicoman. Its actually standard PE right up till the beginning of the reverse taper cone going into the stinger (PE pipe crossed over from that point but with my frame it had to keep going straight). I made the back end of the pipe including the muffler which is carbon case with stainless internals.  Muffler graphics came about because my son Tom at that stage was just learning to talk and couldn't say "exhaust" so we used his word - "Zorxt pipe"!

I tarted the pipe up a bit by re welding all the seams (to get rid of the daggy jap welds) and coated the header with that cool HPC caoting used on dragsters etc. Stops the rust too. I did rip the standard perforated baffling out of the chamber as the inside diameter was so small like a torquer pipe, nothing like the RM 400's big chamber.  Dont know if it helped any though as couldn't compare the two.  I don't mind the slim pipe though, it fits in nice and snug.

BELOW: The sticker that's going on all of my hot rod bikes this season....it kinda fits this neat "dare to be different" little Suzuki too.

Like it!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »
Love your attitude Barra. Any other projects in the pipeline? J

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »
Unfortunately no Jerry as all my time getting used / wasted still trying to stop an icon venue going down the gurgler. But that's another story for another day . . . . . . .

Would like to do something similar one day with a road going twin of some sort though! Then I can rumble off into the distance far away from the knobheads.  :o

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
Thanks for the clutch info I will get one I was wondering how it would go if you have ridden with the standard setup the clutch pull is fairly hard.

I was considering doing what you did using another roller because I have other motors but then the one I have came up on eBay it is a 1980 model with a 84 cr250 front end it just saved me trying to modify another frame etc to fit.

I have a 98 husky wr360 but I prefer my PE400's once my current one is done it will replace the husky and I will just keep that regeod as a spare bike, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:01 am »
I saw this bike at the last Classic Dirt at Barrabool and I must have spent as least an hour looking at it. The more I looked the more I liked.
I was (and still am) very impressed.

I must have been standing next to you Brent... I still have the pics from that day. It's a beauty!!!

If Suzuki would build it I reckon they would sell heaps of them. Who needs a bloody expensive, fragile 4-stroke...  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"