Author Topic: WTF IS THIS YAMAHA TWIN??  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: WTF IS THIS YAMAHA TWIN??
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »
Wasn't it the TX500 that cracked heads like crazy?

I hope none of the yamaha twin club of aus are reading this! :D Im hoping one of them will bid at least enough to get a box of (cheap) beer out of! :D :D ;)  
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »
I had one of these somewhere in my late teens.

It lasted for about a month ::)

ordinary mid and low, actually had to really wring its neck before it would squeal.

Sadly for it, I was going through a phase or something back then and I used it harshly as a burnout and doughnut bitch.

The cylinder head cracked between the spark plug hole and exhaust valve seat. They all do it, even if respected

I rode it to the wreckers, swapped it for cash, which I used at the closest pub to celebrate its life. poor darlin.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:30:16 pm by Mick De »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:58 pm »
Problem is, Rookie, they were such a well known POS they will become, "are ??", as rare as rocking horse shite !!
Foss

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
Problem is, Rookie, they were such a well known POS they will become, "are ??", as rare as rocking horse shite !!
Foss

Funny how that happens
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:42 pm »
Wasn't it the TX500 that cracked heads like crazy?

I hope none of the yamaha twin club of aus are reading this! :D Im hoping one of them will bid at least enough to get a box of (cheap) beer out of! :D :D ;)  
May get more from a scrap metal yard ;) and buy a good box of beer maybe, but then again maybe just a largie
by the way its going  :o

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 11:45:33 pm »
runaway runaway runaway,fugging 8 valve wunders my bum!!, :P
ps good tip,motor fugging runs backwards!!(err,from memory ::))
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:13:47 am by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:51 pm »
Foss

I shall chuck it on evil bay over the weekend and we'll see what happens, should be interesting to watch anyway. Maybe someone out there will want to restore it and use it as a display bike to tow around behind his P76, ::) :D :D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:18:10 am »
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-region/motorcycles/yamaha-tx-500-police-bike/1013883787

I'll assume that in 1971 there was some kind of industrial dispute between the then premier of qld and the states police force. Looks like the government of the day had the last laugh not long after  :D ;)

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:04:51 am »
You may find that the front hub is more valuable than the rest of the bike.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:43 am »
Put it on ebay Rookie. I agree that it might do a lot better than you'd expect. There aren't many TX's about. They weren't a bad thing but they didn't age well ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:35 am »
In relation to cracked heads, yes that was a problem here in nz. Second model [& think the cure for the first model head cracker] was a two piece head in-place of three, long ago. Worked for the dealer & local [maybe nz wide] cops used them. Despite their issues they were pretty much ok for the time, 4 valves per cylinder etc. Hell, [letting the cat outa the bag, things you'd rather forget] 'Don't' do what i did once when a customer came in for a wof & had a really rattly cam chain. Thought i'd do the guy a favour & let it go while idling. Yes it jumped teeth & bent valves. Guess what i was doing after work for a few nights. If i recall rite, valve timing is a bit confusing as the cams turn 'backwards'--read the workshop manual & Goodluck.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00:17 am »
Foss

I shall chuck it on evil bay over the weekend and we'll see what happens, should be interesting to watch anyway. Maybe someone out there will want to restore it and use it as a display bike to tow around behind his P76, ::) :D :D
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 11:20:42 am »
 I stuffed my post! ???
 What I posted was- that some time ago a neighbour asked me if I could make his one start.
 Owing to their  reputation I wasn't to keen and when the starter gave up I wasn't to keen on finding a dopy big pusher to push it up and down the street so I gave up and told him to come and get it!
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:49 am »
      Yeah good one rookie ! ya had to bring up P76's didnt ya ! my first car was a p76 and the fuggin' thing caught fire while i was goin up the street !  :o had to run it up the sidewalk and grab a hose out of the nearest house -its taken me nearly 40years to try and forget it now the nightmare's are gunna start all over again  :D tick tick tick