Author Topic: 2013 Sydney Dirt Track Championship  (Read 13796 times)

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Sydney Dirt Track Championship
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
Pop up shops are a hard slog! People have to support those they want them to give them money by buying their stuff and spreding the word. So I am taking this opportunity to make a plug for ....

http://throttlegrip.bigcartel.com/

;D
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

number 87

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
Yep, know the owner well, does not see racing as being able to provide a viable return on investment these days, no crowds, no media etc etc.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
There is a page missing from the original document on Firko's original post. This page outlines a race schedule that sheds further light on the Race Day events.
I initially left out the race schedule portion of the release because of space issues but I've just added them to the post....(top of page).

Yet another example regarding Pre 75 and Pre 78 - (By the way Firko I hope you are well and the health demons have pissed right off) Penrith "Club days" in recent years (at least as far back as 2008, my memory doesn't work past this point - too many fork legs to the back of the head!) have run capacity based "Classic" classes based around Evo Rules.
I understand and have no problem with the regular pre 75/78 classes not being included. I know how much work goes into getting a concept as new as this off the ground and that something must always be sacrificed for the overall good of the event. The Charity meeting has been the Penrith clubs landmark classic meeting of the year so I'm happy to see that remain. In fact, I'd like to see the club pump up the meeting a bit in 2013. Last years event was a little undersubscribed and a tad dull so I think that perhaps a bit of apathy might be edgeing in. To spark up the meeting I'd like to see the involvement of the Old School Twins and other flat track classers and a concerted effort made to get as many sliders back to the event and the sport in general.

Even though I'm an ex president and secretary of Penrith club I wasn't welcomed by the clubs previous management but with their departure and a new, positive crew at the helm I'm intending to rejoin the club very soon. Once I'm back in the fold I'd love to help the club get the Charity Meeting moving forward once again as one of the sports icon events.  (p.s....my health is almost back to some form of normality and I look forward to slowly getting back into racing during 2013)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:45:24 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

number 87

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
Firko, your health is probably the only aspect of you that is anywhere near normal! and that is a good thing - normality/mediocrity sucks!

Appreciate your comments all round - and I agree the Charity meeting could be better "pumped", I would love to see twins, flat trackers and more sliders at any race meeting.

Its all about viability for the Penrith Club, our new President (not really new but took over the handle bars a few months into the 2012 season) is really having a go, he is accepting of pretty much any of the weird and wonderful concepts I have thrown at him and wants the club and its race meetings to grow and continuously improve, he is passionate AND logical and should be supported.

On to the Charity Day - 2013 will be a greater challenge than previous years as the Nepean commitee have voted to charge Track hire for this weekend, previously it was free to Penrith as part of the charitable aspect of the meeting. As far as classes go are there 12 Twins, flat track bikes and sliders out there that can guarantee they will enter and race?

Cheers

Curly3

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
That's right NMSC is charging a fee but I'm pretty sure it's at a reduced rate from the standard fee.
There are plenty of classes already open to anyone riding a twin, if enough start turning up it might dictate that they get a class of their own, maybe they could be included in the Slider class to start with?

number 87

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Hi Slidez, hope you are well, my question "are there 12 Twins, flat track bikes and sliders out there that can guarantee they will enter and race?"
was sort of a challenge particularly aimed at twins and flat track framed bike owners for the "Charity" meeting. As from the clubs point of view the adagage of "if you build it they will come" is not necessarily true, it is a risk, so if 12 twin owners stick their hands up early in the piece and shout "yep I'm in" we (the Penrith Club) will have a Twins class. If however Twins are conspicuous in their silence there wont be a class - pretty simple...

By the way, I have always wanted to ride some Twins . . . . .

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
Your first Rider in the TWINS CLASS is Shawn Giles
Your second is Mick Kirkness
Your third rider is Mark Willis
That will do for starters !!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
Seeing Shawn's so close to Edgar Phipps, wouldn't it be cool to see him on Ed's Shell Yamaha 750? His Suzuki tie up might prevent it for now but down the road.....who knows? Shawns got a trick Yoshimura stage 4 Honda SL350 that his dad built years ago. It sounds like the wail of the Banshees!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
so if 12 twin owners stick their hands up early in the piece and shout "yep I'm in" we (the Penrith Club) will have a Twins class.
Surely the Herb Superb (Conlon) could shake up half a dozen XS750 Yamahas just by himself? He'd have three himself I'd reckon, Mark Peatmans got one ........I reckon you could pull it off.
Penrith even has one of Herbs flat track twin creations on its website opening page

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:52:43 PM by firko »

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
Shawn on SUZUKI TL1000R
Mick on H-D
Mark on Kawasaki

number 87

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
Hi SON, (that feels weird - I don't have children so your about the first person that I have called SON)

Great that's three and all "names" - need another 5 or 6 but a full grid would be awesome and truly promotable. . . Firko your right, Herb Superb has a couple and Mark's is there too, and there are others we have talked about this stuff bench racing with beer in hand.

Couple of things
Not all of the owners want to race their bikes and wont lend them to just anybody and fair call too.
Some owners may not be able to afford to maintain a 4 stroke twin that raced hard over a season.

I think their is enough bikes/riders out there certainly for a full grid on the Charity weekend so stick the word out and lets get 12 or more bikes and riders to stick their hand up and then grow it to real full noise class.

SON You are welcome to pm me and we can have a real conversation.

Cheers

Curly3

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
I have to admit I like all this talk, ideas and input that has been lacking for way too long. I recently raised the topic of a Swap Meet at the Charity meeting and it also seems to have legs.
My only concern with all this Corporate involvement, which is much needed, is that the " Charity " ideology of the whole event may be lost if not done right.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
 Looks all good ror a great 2013 dirt track year at Nepean raceway
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »
Having only been involved in Dirt Track as a competitor for 2 years and competing at Penriths race series last year I can honestly say that if this years events are antwhere near as good as last years it will be a great success.
EVERY MEETING, and I can only speak for myself was a great day out.
I have met some great people, had some great nights around the camp fire and olso managed to have a few days of very good racing!
This years format if read properly gives anybody with an old bike a great opportunity to have a heap of racing in every round.
The committee in my eyes have come up with a great format and I for one would like to thank them for their hard work in putting this together. ;D
At Hunter club race meeting this year ther was only 3 or 4 classics at every round. Last year there was enough for 2 grids,
Pre85 and pre78, what happened to everyone is a mistery.
Instead of whining about trivial crap get your bikes ready and get to the track and have a go. ;)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL INVOLVED IN THE PENRITH COMMITTEE.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
3 x 500 Singles
1x TT500
1X DR500
1X XR500

1 MORE TWIN SV650